Have you bought your grossly overpriced, battery-suckingApple toy watch?

Old May 4th 15, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Have you bought your grossly overpriced, battery-suckingApple toy watch?

nospam wrote:
how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse at
a wrist. It works every time.

Mort Linder
Old May 4th 15, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort
wrote:

how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse at
a wrist. It works every time.

clearly missing the point entirely.
Old May 4th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse at
a wrist. It works every time.

Isn't it amazing that nurses, like my wife, spent decades determining
heart rate without the benefit of a phone app?

yet another one who completely misses the point.

having a device (whether it's a watch or a fitness band) continually
monitor heart rate and other things opens up a whole new world of
possibilities, but luddites like yourself would rather halt progress
and live in the past with primitive methods.
Old May 4th 15, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-05-04 12:09, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2015 09:43:58 -0400, Mort wrote:

nospam wrote:
how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse at
a wrist. It works every time.

Isn't it amazing that nurses, like my wife, spent decades determining
heart rate without the benefit of a phone app?

I'm amazed that you can't see that this is not merely to get heart rate.

Several major hospitals are rolling out programs to gather data on
ordinary people over the long term using the Apple Health Kit in iPhones
and as appropriate the Apple watch. This allows clinically controlled
statistical sampling at a scale never seen before. I guess your wife
the nurse is better than, say, John Hopkins or Cedars Sinai, on these
matters, so I'll defer to ...

For an athlete, heart rate v. effort is an indication of improved
personal performance. Have a device that tracks and correlates both is
not only "nifty" but far more reliabe and objective than any other
method. That's the tip of the iceberg.

To see the Apple watch as a substitute for traditional wris****ches is
like seeing a smartphone as a substitute for a cell phone. And if you
don't get that difference then there is nothing worth discussing.

Old May 4th 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 5/4/15 1:15 PM, in article ,
"Tony Cooper" wrote:

On Mon, 04 May 2015 12:21:04 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse at
a wrist. It works every time.

Isn't it amazing that nurses, like my wife, spent decades determining
heart rate without the benefit of a phone app?

yet another one who completely misses the point.

having a device (whether it's a watch or a fitness band) continually
monitor heart rate and other things opens up a whole new world of
possibilities, but luddites like yourself would rather halt progress
and live in the past with primitive methods.

WTF are you talking about? I missed no point. I referred to the
past, and my observation was correct.

What I observed in the past has nothing to do with what I observe now
or expect in the future.

Do you really understand what a "Luddite" is? Being aware of what was
done in the past is in no way in opposition of new technology. I
spent decades as the owner of a company that distributed medical
devices employing new technology from lasers to monitoring equipment.

By your inane thinking, any who remarks that they took photographs in
the past with a non-digital camera is a Luddite.

Seems like nospam thinks that you have followed they ways of the Amish.

Now, get on your horse buggy and Block I-4...

;-)

Old May 5th 15, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Mort wrote:

nospam:
how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse
at a wrist. It works every time.

Ah, and the hand whose wrist you're testing is using the phone to input this
continuously during a track run to the health app? Well, that's one way to do it
:-D

--
Sandman
Old May 5th 15, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

nospam:
how is your phone going to track your heart rate

Mort:
I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the
pulse at a wrist. It works every time.

Isn't it amazing that nurses, like my wife, spent decades
determining heart rate without the benefit of a phone app?

It's even more amazing that Mort's comment about the iWatch not replacing an
iPhone morph into some weird scenario where some people seem to think someone has
claimed that an iPhone is required to determine heart rate.

Or, perhaps I should be saying something about that if it takes your wife decades
to determine the heart rate, then perhaps she should use some form of technology
assistance? :-D

--
Sandman
Old May 5th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Apple watches don't moan at you for picking your nose or farting either ;-)
unless someone brings out a watch app for it.

Wouldn't that be a gaaazzz... It will be in your BigBrother kit whether
you want it or not... Sort of. Don't snooze during office hours...

Not buying one!
--
teleportation kills
Old May 5th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

nospam wrote:
yet another one who completely misses the point.

having a device (whether it's a watch or a fitness band) continually
monitor heart rate and other things opens up a whole new world of
possibilities, but luddites like yourself would rather halt progress
and live in the past with primitive methods.

Far from being a Luddite, I have built and used advanced electronic
equipment,and have published three world firsts in the Medical
literature. Aside from the name-calling, please explain to me why the
average healthy person needs to monitor his/her heart rate. After that,
please tell me what percentage of Apple watch buyers actually purchase
it chiefly to monitor their heart rates.

Mort Linder
Old May 5th 15, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Sandman wrote:
In article , Mort wrote:

nospam:
how is your phone going to track your heart rate

I use a low-tech, battery-free method. I put a finger onto the pulse
at a wrist. It works every time.

Ah, and the hand whose wrist you're testing is using the phone to input this
continuously during a track run to the health app? Well, that's one way to do it
:-D

Why? Why? Why in the world should healthy people track their heart
rates? The rates are quite variable to begin with, and oftentimes
change with various activities.

Mort Linder