Chose digital SLR

Old November 23rd 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Chose digital SLR

Hi everybody,

I'm an amateour outdoor photographer and I would like to bye a digital
SLR, but I'm confused to choose the proper one for me. Could You,
please, help me in choosing between?

1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

Thank You very much!!!

Old November 23rd 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"dimidimi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everybody,

I'm an amateour outdoor photographer and I would like to bye a digital
SLR, but I'm confused to choose the proper one for me. Could You,
please, help me in choosing between?

1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

Most of the above are really good cameras. You also might want to wait a
while and check out the Nikon D200 which should be available early next
year.

I have a 300D and a 20D and like them a lot (the 20D is a lot faster and
easier to use).

Old November 24th 05, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
dimidimi wrote:

I'm an amateour outdoor photographer and I would like to bye a digital
SLR, but I'm confused to choose the proper one for me. Could You,
please, help me in choosing between?

1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

Don't even think of #6.
Old November 24th 05, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"dimidimi" writes:
1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

I think you should cross off #6 and 7, as too limiting. Same with the
D50 from #1. I'm not so familiar with the Pentax. The D70 and D100
are no longer made but you might get a used one of either. Between
the two I think the D70 is better in most ways, and priced about the
same. The D70S is almost the same as the D70. The EOS 300D (#4) is
obsolete and I'd get the Rebel instead. The 20D is the best camera on
your list but it's the most expensive. If you can afford the 20D, you
should also think about the Nikon D200.

Frankly I think you should limit it to Nikon vs Canon. That's D70[S]
vs Rebel XT, or D200 vs 20D. It seems to me that with Nikon you have
more options for wideangle lenses, and maybe more traditional
controls. But I haven't used Canons much.
Old November 24th 05, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article .com,
dimidimi wrote:

I'm an amateour outdoor photographer and I would like to bye a digital
SLR, but I'm confused to choose the proper one for me. Could You,
please, help me in choosing between?

1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

Don't even think of #6.

I agree, don't even think of #6 unless you want to produce high quality
images for the type of photography you like.

Old November 24th 05, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Rubin wrote:

"dimidimi" writes:
1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

I think you should cross off #6 and 7, as too limiting.

Unless he's planing on using the kit lens, then I'd cross off 2,3,4 and even
1 is questionable.. Notice his sample shots are all done in bright
daylight.... People forget most people buying these don't have the extra
cash to buy a "decent" lens in addition to the camera kit and expect the
supplied one to work OK. IMHO the canon kit lens is "too limiting" as it
only is close to decent stopped WAY down so you end up with a lens that
works OK at 1 or maybe 2 fstops.

--

Stacey
Old November 24th 05, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
.. .
In article .com,
dimidimi wrote:

I'm an amateour outdoor photographer and I would like to bye a digital
SLR, but I'm confused to choose the proper one for me. Could You,
please, help me in choosing between?

1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

Don't even think of #6.

I agree, don't even think of #6 unless you want to produce high quality
images for the type of photography you like.

....and that type of photography includes portraits of the mysterious
cheese-people. ;-)
Old November 24th 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:22:26 -0500, Stacey wrote:

Paul Rubin wrote:

"dimidimi" writes:
1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

I think you should cross off #6 and 7, as too limiting.

Unless he's planing on using the kit lens, then I'd cross off 2,3,4 and even
1 is questionable.. Notice his sample shots are all done in bright
daylight.... People forget most people buying these don't have the extra
cash to buy a "decent" lens in addition to the camera kit and expect the
supplied one to work OK. IMHO the canon kit lens is "too limiting" as it
only is close to decent stopped WAY down so you end up with a lens that
works OK at 1 or maybe 2 fstops.

Hogwash.
The 18-55 EF-S lens certainly isn't an "L" lens by any stretch, but
it's a lot better than you make it out to be.
But then, your dislike for anything Canon colors your judgement.
Do you even have an 18-55 EF-S lens?
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp.../cat/11/page/1

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old November 24th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Chris Brown" wrote in message
Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
. ..

Yes, very cheesy http://ntotrr.smugmug.com/photos/27233203-M.jpg

Old November 24th 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"dimidimi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everybody,

I'm an amateour outdoor photographer and I would like to bye a digital
SLR, but I'm confused to choose the proper one for me. Could You,
please, help me in choosing between?

1) Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D100
2) Canon Digital Rebel XT
3) Canon EOS 20D
4) Canon EOS-300D
5) Pentax - IST DS
6) Sigma - SD10
7) Olimpus - EVOLT E3002
8) Something else around this price?

Thank You very much!!!

Wont give you purchasing advice, I personally like Nikon D70s or wait for
the D200 so you have lots of room to grow.

However, before you purchase you need to determine what type of photo's you
plan on taking the majority of the time. Then decide which camera will meet
those requirements, and by the model one step higher up the food chain, so
you have something to learn about and get good at that won't be out of date
in 6 months.

Lens - thousands of books on the subject, again how you will use camera,
sports, nature, animals, people, etc, each lens has a specific purpose which
it was designed for. I like the Nikon D70s Kit lens, good glass, but it's
not good for outside zoom shots, so I have to have another lens for those
type of situations. The zoom lens in not good for close up inside shots, so
the kit lens works ok. However, and I believe the most important part,
learning how the camera operates and all the various settings make things
look different is more important in the beginning than which model and what
lens. I have had my D70s for two months, and most of the shots I take with
it I am personally not happy with. I also don't leave it in the auto mode.
I keep it in the aperture mode and am trying to learn from there.

So don't get brand specific until you figure out how it will be used, then
try different models from different manufacturers until you find one that
feels good to your hands and the controls are right for your style of using
it, then you can purchase and start to learn how to use it. Give yourself 6
months to feel good about the shots you take, unless you are already a
semi-pro and understand, all the variables which go into taking good
pictures.

Monty