crop tilted oval shapes

Old December 18th 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Viking

Default crop tilted oval shapes

Is there a simple Windows tool to hand crop tilted oval shapes?

It's easy to crop oval shapes but I need to manually offset the x:y axis to
something other than 0:90 degrees for hundreds of simple JPEG image files,
each one manually a different crop area and crop angle but all ovals.

The background will be filled with a solid color.

I would like a fast simple tool if it exists.
Otherwise I'll do it in photoshop or gimp if I can figure it out.
But both of those tools make simple things almost impossible.

I'm hoping there is a good "crop tool" out there that is simple.
Old December 18th 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Viking

Viking responded at time Tue, 18 Dec 2018 11:15:33 -0700 :

Otherwise I'll do it in photoshop or gimp if I can figure it out.

I'm stuck in Photoshop trying to just do the last crop step.

Select the Marquis tool set to the oval shape
Mouse left to randomly draw any X:Y oval locked to 0:90 degree axes
Mouse right inside the oval shape to select the popup "Transform Selection"
Mouse left outside the rectangular outline to set the oval X:Y axes
Mouse left inside the rectangular outline to position the oval center
Mouse left on the edges of the rectangle to determine the oval size

This gives me EXACTLY the oval size and axes I want.
But I can't crop. Almost all the commands I want are locked out.

There must be a secret since 1 out of 100 tries actually works.
But in 99 out of 100 tries, I lose everything I've done above.

I must be missing a critical step to UNLOCK the crop capability.

Alls I want do now is Contol+shift+i & control+x & delete but I can't.
All crop commands are locked up exactly when I need them to work.

Once I have the x:y axes oval position, why can't I use the crop commands?
Old December 18th 18, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Viking

Viking responded at time Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:38:21 -0700 :

Once I have the x:y axes oval position, why can't I use the crop commands?

This is the simplest non-90-degree Photoshop oval crop I can figure out.

File Open
Select the Marquis tool set to the oval shape
Mouse left to randomly draw any sized X:Y oval locked to 0:90 degree axes

Mouse right on the image to select the popup "Transform Selection"

Mouse left outside the rectangular outline to set the oval X:Y axes
Mouse left inside the rectangular outline to position the oval center
Mouse left on the edges of the rectangle to determine the oval size

Now you must apply that transformation.

There is no menu (that I can find) that will apply that transformation.

If you accidentally mouse left double click on the Marquee tool,
it will ask you to "Apply the transformation" & then you select "Apply"

Or, if you accidentally mouse left double click inside the selection
that also appears to run the "Apply the transformation" command

I later found out you can press Control+Enter to apply the transformation
which is probably the easiest way to apply the transformation

Only once the transformation is applied can you move forward
You can tell the transformation is applied because the rectangular
box disappears leaving only the off-center non-90-degree oval

Enter Contol+shift+i
Enter control+x
Then use the Photoshop menu for Image Trim OK

File Save
Old December 21st 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 12/18/2018 4:17 PM, Viking wrote:
[...]

Try select subject.

--