Has this image been 'photoshopped'?

Old December 18th 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

Default Has this image been 'photoshopped'?

On 18/12/2018 19:28, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 18, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 09:33:51 UTC-5, David B. wrote:
On 18/12/2018 09:34, RichA wrote:

Hard to tell. Resolution is crap.

Thanks for looking.

Is THIS image any better quality? https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

Seems to me if it was photoshopped, the guy might have tried to raise the
levels in the dark areas, but it may have been too dark to do that.

The first thing that should be resolved is, what does David mean by
“photoshopped”. David seems to be implying that there might be some sort
of trickery involved in the production of that particular image.

1. We have no way of knowing of wind, and/or water surface when the capture
was made.

2. We have no EXIF data relating to shutter speed, and/or exposure settings,
or shooting techniques used.

3. Smoothing of water is a well known result when using ND filters, and long
exposure. However, that does not appear to be the case here.So the logical
assumption should be that conditions when the shot was made were calm, wind,
and water surface turbulence free. Also some shadow/highlight , and tone
adjustment might have been made. Otherwise it appears to be one of those
fortuitous, opportunistic captures.

4. To get the image file to a condition that it could be posted, excluding
tone, or crop adjustments, and including resizing, and JPEG compression there
had to be some sort of processing, be it in-camera, or with any software. So
should that be called Affinity Photoed, Capture Oned, Apple photoed,
Luminared, or the overused “photoshopped”.

The bottomline is, the original question is a tad silly.

My question wan't intended to be silly. :-(

I used the word 'photoshopped' just as I might have said 'Googled'. I
found this ......

"As a result of the popularity of Adobe Photoshop as image editing
software, use of the neologism "photoshopped" grew ubiquitously. The
term commonly refers to any and all digital editing of photographs
regardless of what software is used."

In 35 years of boating, I've NEVER seen water - *in a tunnel* - looking
so much like a mirror! There's almost inevitably SOME air movement in a
tunnel - sufficient to cause SOME distortion of the water surface.

I agree that all things ARE possible - but I've personally never seen
the water surface in a tunnel as 'flat' as this.

I wasn't IMPLYING anything - I was (am) asking if the experts here can
determine whether or not the image has been altered.

David B.

Old December 18th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 18/12/2018 19:50, Ron C wrote:
On 12/18/2018 9:33 AM, David B. wrote:
On 18/12/2018 09:34, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 17 December 2018 09:36:27 UTC-5, David B.* wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

David B.

Hard to tell.* Resolution is crap.

Thanks for looking.

Is THIS image any better quality?* https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

OK, I took a look. I agree that the limited resolution obscures
fine details. However, I believe the reflections in the water have
not been tampered with.
On close inspection it seems to be raining and rain tends to
damp out ripples causing the sheltered water in the tunnel to be
smoother. There seems to be a tiny hint of ripples distorting
some of the lines of the tunnel roof's reflection.

Anyway, that's my interpretation.

Thanks, Ron. I hadn't noticed or consdered rain!

Almost invariably tunnels have water dripping from the 'roof' - somtimes
POURING down! ;-)

David B.
Old December 18th 18, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 18/12/2018 20:49, wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 01:36:27 UTC+11, David B. wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

Of course it can't be said for sure without access to the original files.
That's the "beauty" of internet photography: anything can be done to an image and it all looks "authentic".
I have yet to be convinced that any of the "perfect shots" banded around have not been interfered with. This one reeks of it. There is no way that person can be so perfectly placed. And the reflection looks fake, although there appears to be some "warbling" on the water on the left and that might be natural.
Hard to say, really. But given the almost constant interference on shots published on the web, I'd go with "Yes".

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this matter. Much appreciated!

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter - I was simply curious!

David B.

Old December 18th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

Of course it can't be said for sure without access to the original files.

that certainly helps, but not required.

That's the "beauty" of internet photography: anything can be done to an image
and it all looks "authentic".

only if it's done well, otherwise it doesn't look authentic.

I have yet to be convinced that any of the "perfect shots" banded around have
not been interfered with. This one reeks of it. There is no way that person
can be so perfectly placed. And the reflection looks fake, although there
appears to be some "warbling" on the water on the left and that might be
natural.
Hard to say, really. But given the almost constant interference on shots
published on the web, I'd go with "Yes".

interference is a strong word. most images have minor adjustments, such
as colour balance or sharpening, the same as with film. very few have
major reworking because it's incredibly time consuming to do well, also
the same as with film.
Old December 19th 18, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

only if it's done well, otherwise it doesn't look authentic.

Of course. No one can say for sure unless the original size files are
available.

oh yes they can. most people don't retouch particularly well and the
signs are quite obvious. or they do a pretty good job and closer
scrutiny shows signs of extensive manipulation.

A 1280X780 image can be subverted almost to infinity without it
becoming too obvious. And the vast majority of internet published shots are
around that size. Very few people bother to show original size images.

image size has little to do with it.
Old December 19th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 19/12/2018 11:03, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 14:10:46 UTC, David B. wrote:
On 18/12/2018 10:16, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 07:55:28 UTC, David B. wrote:

My question remains though - HAS it or has it NOT been photoshopped?

I haven't looked as it's on FB which I want to aviod at work.

I found a copy here for your perusal: https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

Well done, makes it more accessable.

YW :-)

But just because something has been 'photoshopped' (many other fine editors are avaible) shouldn't you be more concerned with the level of editing.
I mean so what if someone has cropped the image using PS, or just made it a little brighter.

That's understood. I don't MIND if it has been 'adjusted' - it's still a
remarkable image IMO. :-)

Yes it looks nice, I wouldn't say remarkable.

shrug OK

What you should be asking is has it being heaverly or substantional edited for a particualar effect or purpose and whether ot not the intetntion is to decieve.

The water in the image is like a mirror - possibly *too* flat to be
'real'. I was simply wondering if anyone here can tell. No biggie!

Well considerign it;s sheltered from wind and currents, it;s a good representation of what the photographer probbly saw. It's difficult to tell with a relatively low rese image, but a valid question still.

But there are quite a few such images of still water and it's not that difficult to capture with modern cameras, even old cameras of the past have done it long before digital.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've taken many wonderful shots of 'flat
water' but NEVER in a tunnel! ;-)

Thinking about it though, I've invariably been under way on my boat when
transiting a tunnel, not walking or cycling through them!

aside Can you not get a spell-checker for your newsreader?!!!

David B.
Old December 20th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 20/12/2018 10:50, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 21:30:38 UTC, David B. wrote:
On 19/12/2018 11:03, Whisky-dave wrote:

But there are quite a few such images of still water and it's not that difficult to capture with modern cameras, even old cameras of the past have done it long before digital.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've taken many wonderful shots of 'flat
water' but NEVER in a tunnel! ;-)

Maybe I should try at mile end station ;-)

Here's a nearby tunnel - but it doesn't look as if there is a towpath
for pedestrian access. If you know of another locally do, please, go try
it and see!

Thinking about it though, I've invariably been under way on my boat when
transiting a tunnel, not walking or cycling through them!

I've never cycled through a tunnel. What's that tunnel where the boaters have to lay on their back and walk on the ceiling in order for the boat to go through the tunnel, I remember that one when I was a kid.

Perhaps you refer to the Dudley canal - there are many others with a
similar history. There's a lot of information available, he-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legging_(canals)

aside Can you not get a spell-checker for your newsreader?!!!

Don't think so, strangely enough spell checking works at home on NG using googlemail but not at work.

I'm not being serious or picky here .... but whatever are you doing
'playing' on Usenet when you are supposedly being paid to WORK when you
are at work?!!! ;-)
--
David B's Blog comments:-
https://vxer.home.blog/2018/12/08/vx...file/#comments
Old December 20th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 20/12/2018 15:22, David B. wrote:
Here's a nearby tunnel

Oops! I forgot to post the link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent...1March2010.jpg

Old December 20th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 20/12/2018 16:18, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 20 December 2018 15:22:43 UTC, David B. wrote:
On 20/12/2018 10:50, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 21:30:38 UTC, David B. wrote:
On 19/12/2018 11:03, Whisky-dave wrote:

But there are quite a few such images of still water and it's not that difficult to capture with modern cameras, even old cameras of the past have done it long before digital.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've taken many wonderful shots of 'flat
water' but NEVER in a tunnel! ;-)

Maybe I should try at mile end station ;-)

Here's a nearby tunnel - but it doesn't look as if there is a towpath
for pedestrian access. If you know of another locally do, please, go try
it and see!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/18686306043/

A few pics each side from the local area.

Thanks for sharing. :-)

Thinking about it though, I've invariably been under way on my boat when
transiting a tunnel, not walking or cycling through them!

I've never cycled through a tunnel. What's that tunnel where the boaters have to lay on their back and walk on the ceiling in order for the boat to go through the tunnel, I remember that one when I was a kid.

Perhaps you refer to the Dudley canal - there are many others with a
similar history. There's a lot of information available, he-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legging_(canals)

Think the one I went on was near ponders end or Enfield lock.

Ah! The Lee & Stort, to the East of London, are two of the waterways
we've chosen not to explore.

When our boaters' club arranged a sponsored group visit, we were way up
north on the Leeds & Liverpool canal!

aside Can you not get a spell-checker for your newsreader?!!!

Don't think so, strangely enough spell checking works at home on NG using googlemail but not at work.

I'm not being serious or picky here .... but whatever are you doing
'playing' on Usenet when you are supposedly being paid to WORK when you
are at work?!!! ;-)

I am still working, on Friday a group of students asked if I could keep the lab open this week as they wanted to finish off their coure work before Xmas.
This week I've had 3 students turn up, one is still here. Most of my job is keeping the lab open 9-5, students access on on-line order form type in what they want then I order it, then they come to collect it.
Yesterday a studetns asked me to create such an order for for him, I have and have set up a cupboard for him, he emailed me at 2:02 am this morning.
SO I ceated the form, told him that he needed a googlemail email adress to access it so he's sent me his hotmail email address.
I compteted his request at 10:09 this morning so I have the googledrive open waiting for him to access and place his order or send me his googlemail add. , nothing yet.
I've had one lecturer arrive asking if I can fix the intermitant connection on his laptop.
A student has just asked me if I can order some breadboard ribbon cable for him, so I said look at the noctice on the window, type in the order code of which one you want and I;ll give you them immediatley, now he is looking at the wrong window and looking at my selection of brackets & hinges, so that'll give me 10 mins while I wait for him to relaise he's looking at the wrong window.
Then he'll find the right window , type in the correct info then I'll, hand him the cables.

I've cleaner up 12 soldering iron areas, then come back to my office, where I keep everything.

I'd like to prepare for next year when we move upstairs and was hoping IT service would install our 96 new PC's but on asking they say they won't have time to install them before xmas. After phoning Dell it seems IT services haven't even ordered them yet.
As I can do more than one thing at a time it's quite easy to read and post to NGs while waiting for students and ITS to sort themselves out.

Student has just collect these cables, which I order from amazon at £0.46p rather than a UK supplier at £3.38 each .
Studetns like their orders ASAP or sooner preferabley the day before they order them, so I spend quite a bit of time looking for likely stuff they'll order which is why I ask for their project title, the one at 2:02am title is "heart rate monitoring device with GPS and temperature sensors"
So I'm looking at pulse sensors and suitable temps sensors, seeing where the best prices are and looking at thier data sheets.
I can do this for 15mins then get a bit bored so just the NGs my email, the 50 studetn order formsm for updates whithin 5 mins.

And I even when typing I can glance over my Mac and see hear and smell, what the students are up to, and when I hear an explosion I can get up and sort them out.

when a cabbie drives someone somewhere they can talk and listen to the radio and I can post to NGS while working too, sometimes I walk around the lab after reading a post and during that time I can think of replys and even bnew posts.

I've read the few labsheets that are aviable for labs running in Jan. 2019 but most academics don't update the sheets until a few days or even hours before the lab so it;s difficult for me to prepare much in advance.

So I'm really only waiting for the college to close for xmas which is tomorrow at around 2pm. Then I'll, go around making sure everythings switch off and safe for the xmas break.

An in interesting tale! Thanks, Dave.

Have a great break over the Christmas period.

Old December 20th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 20/12/2018 16:19, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 20 December 2018 15:26:03 UTC, David B. wrote:
On 20/12/2018 15:22, David B. wrote:
Here's a nearby tunnel

Oops! I forgot to post the link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent...1March2010.jpg

don't think it was that one as IIRC it was the longest canal tunnel in England.

--
David B's Blog comments:-
https://vxer.home.blog/2018/12/08/vx...file/#comments

Memory plays many tricks on us!