Has this image been 'photoshopped'?

Old December 17th 18, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

Default Has this image been 'photoshopped'?

In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

David B.
Old December 17th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

yes.
Old December 17th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 17/12/2018 15:28, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

yes.

Can YOU tell?

If so, HOW can you tell?

TIA

Old December 17th 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 12/17/18 9:36 AM, David B. wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

If you google the photo name ("Galton Tunnel, Birmingham Canal,
Smethwick"), you will find several photos that look very similar to that
one - different, but similar.

So, based on those other photos, I'm going to say no, it probably is an
accurate 'real' photo.

--
Ken Hart

Old December 17th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 17/12/2018 22:57, Ken Hart wrote:
On 12/17/18 9:36 AM, David B. wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

If you google the photo name ("Galton Tunnel, Birmingham Canal,
Smethwick"), you will find several photos that look very similar to that
one - different, but similar.

So, based on those other photos, I'm going to say no, it probably is an
accurate 'real' photo.

Many thanks for checking and posting your opinion, Ken.

Much appreciated. I have some friends in a Facebook photo group who are
curious about the image. It's one of those 'it seems too good to be
true' situations, which is why I'm asking the experts here.

David B.
Old December 18th 18, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 18/12/2018 01:54, Jes Me wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:57:57 -0500, Ken Hart
wrote:

On 12/17/18 9:36 AM, David B. wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

If you google the photo name ("Galton Tunnel, Birmingham Canal,
Smethwick"), you will find several photos that look very similar to that
one - different, but similar.

So, based on those other photos, I'm going to say no, it probably is an
accurate 'real' photo.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ZXqG66pq0b3YM:

I see 'my' image amongst all the others! :-)

(Oh! what memories come flooding back!)

My question remains though - HAS it or has it NOT been photoshopped?

David B.
Old December 18th 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

wrote:

On 12/17/18 9:36 AM, David B. wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

If you google the photo name ("Galton Tunnel, Birmingham Canal,
Smethwick"), you will find several photos that look very similar to that
one - different, but similar.

So, based on those other photos, I'm going to say no, it probably is an
accurate 'real' photo.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ZXqG66pq0b3YM:

I see 'my' image amongst all the others! :-)

(Oh! what memories come flooding back!)

That's what happens when you live on a boat ;-) ...

Haha! :-D We don't live on the boat during the winter (although we HAVE
cruised on a Christmas day and Boxing day to get the boat back to its
home mooring after it had been repainted in a dry dock some miles from
base!)

My question remains though - HAS it or has it NOT been photoshopped?

I haven't looked as it's on FB which I want to aviod at work.

I found a copy here for your perusal: https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

But just because something has been 'photoshopped' (many other fine editors are avaible) shouldn't you be more concerned with the level of editing.
I mean so what if someone has cropped the image using PS, or just made it a little brighter.

That's understood. I don't MIND if it has been 'adjusted' - it's still a
remarkable image IMO. :-)

What you should be asking is has it being heaverly or substantional edited for a particualar effect or purpose and whether ot not the intetntion is to decieve.

The water in the image is like a mirror - possibly *too* flat to be
'real'. I was simply wondering if anyone here can tell. No biggie!

David B.
Old December 18th 18, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 18/12/2018 09:34, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 17 December 2018 09:36:27 UTC-5, David B. wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

David B.

Hard to tell. Resolution is crap.

Thanks for looking.

Is THIS image any better quality? https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

David B.

Old December 18th 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 18, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 09:33:51 UTC-5, David B. wrote:
On 18/12/2018 09:34, RichA wrote:

Hard to tell. Resolution is crap.

Thanks for looking.

Is THIS image any better quality? https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

Seems to me if it was photoshopped, the guy might have tried to raise the
levels in the dark areas, but it may have been too dark to do that.

The first thing that should be resolved is, what does David mean by
“photoshopped”. David seems to be implying that there might be some sort
of trickery involved in the production of that particular image.

1. We have no way of knowing of wind, and/or water surface when the capture
was made.

2. We have no EXIF data relating to shutter speed, and/or exposure settings,
or shooting techniques used.

3. Smoothing of water is a well known result when using ND filters, and long
exposure. However, that does not appear to be the case here.So the logical
assumption should be that conditions when the shot was made were calm, wind,
and water surface turbulence free. Also some shadow/highlight , and tone
adjustment might have been made. Otherwise it appears to be one of those
fortuitous, opportunistic captures.

4. To get the image file to a condition that it could be posted, excluding
tone, or crop adjustments, and including resizing, and JPEG compression there
had to be some sort of processing, be it in-camera, or with any software. So
should that be called Affinity Photoed, Capture Oned, Apple photoed,
Luminared, or the overused “photoshopped”.

The bottomline is, the original question is a tad silly.

Savageduck

Old December 18th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 12/18/2018 9:33 AM, David B. wrote:
On 18/12/2018 09:34, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 17 December 2018 09:36:27 UTC-5, David B.* wrote:
In around 35 years of narrowboating, I have NEVER seen water as 'flat'
as this in a tunnel! Makes for a great image though!

https://www.facebook.com/11340278615...type=3&theater

Can anyone tell if it HAS actually been tampered with?

David B.

Hard to tell.* Resolution is crap.

Thanks for looking.

Is THIS image any better quality?* https://goo.gl/images/cTcxhB

OK, I took a look. I agree that the limited resolution obscures
fine details. However, I believe the reflections in the water have
not been tampered with.
On close inspection it seems to be raining and rain tends to
damp out ripples causing the sheltered water in the tunnel to be
smoother. There seems to be a tiny hint of ripples distorting
some of the lines of the tunnel roof's reflection.

Anyway, that's my interpretation.
--
==
Later...