There's little left to talk about

Old December 8th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John

Default There's little left to talk about

Charles Schuler wrote:

John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses.

Indeed. I was stunned by the number of responses. I regret having written
that post.

Reasonable
posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic and curt replies,
yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed attention. Totally
off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a great job of garnering
numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk about
regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much better than
most user's skill sets.

It happens on a lot of newsgroups where people spend *way* more time talking
about the equipment than actually using it. I wonder how some people ever
get around to actually doing their thing when they spend what seems like the
entire day posting.

I believe that the true professionals rarely spend any time on newsgroups.
My son who quite accomplished in his field rarely, if ever, reads newsgroups
because he spends all day actually working; he doesn't have time to chit-chat.

Me? I'm just getting back into photography after a very long hiatus. I'm a
certified amateur and I have a lack of credentials to prove it. I read the
newsgroups in the morning during coffee time and have picked up a few good
tips now and then. I simply ignore the wacky off-topic threads.

Tear me up and set me on fire.

Happy Holidays!

Likewise.

Old December 8th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dwight

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..
John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses.
Reasonable posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic and
curt replies, yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed
attention. Totally off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a great
job of garnering numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk about
regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much better
than most user's skill sets.

Tear me up and set me on fire.

Happy Holidays!

Newsgroup burnout.

I've only been out here for about 11 years, but I get the same feeling from
time to time. Fortunately, there is still a lot of first-class information
here, if you find it amongst all of the crap you really don't care about.

When the Islam posts get to you, when you become overly annoyed with the
constant bickering in threads that began as on-topic and wandered off, when
the purposeless crossposting trolls foul your mood, walk away.

Take a break.

Tomorrow there will be new topics to explore.

dwight

Old December 8th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

John wrote:
Charles Schuler wrote:

John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses.

Indeed. I was stunned by the number of responses. I regret having
written that post.

Well, those of us who responded over the top should be the ones. It's
nice to put [OT] in front of a subject line, tho.

Reasonable posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic
and curt replies, yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed
attention. Totally off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a
great job of garnering numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk
about regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much
better than most user's skill sets.

Interesting theory; I wouldn't dispute it.

It happens on a lot of newsgroups where people spend *way* more time
talking about the equipment than actually using it. I wonder how some
people ever get around to actually doing their thing when they spend
what seems like the entire day posting.

Quite. For some of us at some times, NG posting can be addictive, or
avoiding going out and doing something.

I believe that the true professionals rarely spend any time on
newsgroups. My son who quite accomplished in his field rarely, if ever,
reads newsgroups because he spends all day actually working; he doesn't
have time to chit-chat.

I came here not for chit chat, but real help. I got it. And I do chit
chat and chide at least my share.

Me? I'm just getting back into photography after a very long hiatus.
I'm a certified amateur and I have a lack of credentials to prove it. I
read the newsgroups in the morning during coffee time and have picked up
a few good tips now and then. I simply ignore the wacky off-topic threads.

Good practice. And thanks for not getting bent out of shape over the
howls. I hope you find value here. Sorta an exercise of the wheat and
chaff thing, if you will.

--
john mcwilliams