Canon 300d won't talk to PC (XP)

Old April 29th 05, 06:14 AM
ben via PhotoKB.com

Default Canon 300d won't talk to PC (XP)

I have just got myself a Canon 300d (digital rebel). In the process of
go fine - but when i restarted the computer and plugged in the camera
itself to the usb port, the Found New Hardware message came up with 'Canon
Digital Camera' but an error box keeps coming up saying "Windows could not
load the installer for Image". I tried deleting the drivers and
reinstalling, but same problem. Is there any way I can get my camera to
talk to the PC without a card reader? I am using windows XP.
Old April 29th 05, 07:10 AM
Crownfield

ben via PhotoKB.com wrote:

I have just got myself a Canon 300d (digital rebel). In the process of
go fine - but when i restarted the computer and plugged in the camera
itself to the usb port, the Found New Hardware message came up with 'Canon
Digital Camera' but an error box keeps coming up saying "Windows could not
load the installer for Image". I tried deleting the drivers and
reinstalling, but same problem. Is there any way I can get my camera to
talk to the PC without a card reader? I am using windows XP.

does canon have a help number or email address?
Old April 29th 05, 07:26 AM
ben via PhotoKB.com

not a local one that came with the camera, but i'm trying to hunt one up...
Old April 29th 05, 08:04 AM
PC

On user manual page W-14, have you try to set your camera Communication to
"Normal" instead of "PTP"?
I had problem with photos transfer when I set to PTP, I'm using Windows XP
as well.
Good Luck

JL

. ..

Old April 29th 05, 08:07 AM
ben via PhotoKB.com

yep - tried to connect while set in both modes, but got the same message
though.
Old April 29th 05, 08:38 AM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:14:54 GMT, "ben via PhotoKB.com"
wrote:

I have just got myself a Canon 300d (digital rebel). In the process of
go fine - but when i restarted the computer and plugged in the camera
itself to the usb port, the Found New Hardware message came up with 'Canon
Digital Camera' but an error box keeps coming up saying "Windows could not
load the installer for Image". I tried deleting the drivers and
reinstalling, but same problem. Is there any way I can get my camera to
talk to the PC without a card reader? I am using windows XP.

Have you got any other Imaging devices (e.g. a flatbed scanner)
plugged in via USB ?

I couldn't get my 300d to be recognised by Windows XP until I
unplugged my Mustek USB scanner. I didn't need to uninstall anything -
I just physically disconnected the scanner from the PC and everything
was OK.

Both work fine now, but I can't have them plugged in at the same time.

It seems the Mustek scanner driver takes over and doesn't allow the OS
to see the camera.
Old April 29th 05, 04:34 PM
Markku Laamanen

"ben via PhotoKB.com" kirjoitti
viestissä:b8cde552e0c14a9d868800cfe44c5739@PhotoKB .com...
I have just got myself a Canon 300d (digital rebel). In the process of
go fine - but when i restarted the computer and plugged in the camera
itself to the usb port, the Found New Hardware message came up with 'Canon
Digital Camera' but an error box keeps coming up saying "Windows could not
load the installer for Image". I tried deleting the drivers and
reinstalling, but same problem. Is there any way I can get my camera to
talk to the PC without a card reader? I am using windows XP.

Buy a Pentax *istD. XP sees it as an USB disk drive. No need for drivers

Old April 29th 05, 05:31 PM
Crownfield

ben via PhotoKB.com wrote:

not a local one that came with the camera, but i'm trying to hunt one up...

i think canon has a website?
it might have a help number.

it did when I needed it.
Old April 30th 05, 11:14 AM
Colin D

"ben via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

I have just got myself a Canon 300d (digital rebel). In the process of
go fine - but when i restarted the computer and plugged in the camera
itself to the usb port, the Found New Hardware message came up with 'Canon
Digital Camera' but an error box keeps coming up saying "Windows could not
load the installer for Image". I tried deleting the drivers and
reinstalling, but same problem. Is there any way I can get my camera to
talk to the PC without a card reader? I am using windows XP.

Don't bother with connecting the camera to the PC, get a card reader
instead. The 300D (i have one) uses usb 1.1, and is deadly slow
downloading images. A usb 2.0 card reader is not expensive and
downloads a lot faster.

Colin
Old April 30th 05, 11:58 PM
PC

It took me 2 hours to download 373 jpeg large photos from 300D to PC.
Anyone know how much time can be save if I use USB 2.0 card reader to do
those download?
Thanks
JL