Megapixels versus Quality

Old February 2nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Megapixels versus Quality

I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in this group - I'm just too
lazy to search....

So if you'll please indulge me:
Is there a web site where I can see or read about what the picture
quality is for various pixel counts?

Seems like I once saw the same photo with 2 megapixels up to 10
megapixels and you could see just how much each advance in the numbers
of pixels added.

I specifically want to know how much better if 8 megapixels (Canon
Rebel XT) is than 6 megapixels (Nikon D70s).

TIA.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

You can download from dpreview.com images taken from many cameras. Find some
and print them yourself. Bear in mind that its more than MP that makes a
difference. Sensor size makes a difference with noise, camera shake can
cause blur....lots of things.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in this group - I'm just too
lazy to search....

So if you'll please indulge me:
Is there a web site where I can see or read about what the picture
quality is for various pixel counts?

Seems like I once saw the same photo with 2 megapixels up to 10
megapixels and you could see just how much each advance in the numbers
of pixels added.

I specifically want to know how much better if 8 megapixels (Canon
Rebel XT) is than 6 megapixels (Nikon D70s).

TIA.

Here are a couple of useful articles:

http://cameras.about.com/cs/choosing...megapixels.htm

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...Quality_01.htm

If you are planning to produce large prints (14 inches x 11 inches) then
it's better to buy at least a 5MP camera. For prints larger than this, I
would buy 8MP or beyond. But I have a few nice framed 11 x 14 inch pictures
done with a 3MP camera, so high numbers of megapixels aren't everything.

I see that Bell + Howell have put out a slim 10 megapixel camera for $399,
so this might be worth looking at.

http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewIt...paign =google

The size of the sensor plays a large part in the overall image quality you
get. The 10.3 MP Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-R1, is a large camera with a large
sensor, and according to reviews, gives great picture quality, probably a
lot better than either the 6 or 8 megapixel cameras you refer to above.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1P.HTM

I doubt whether, for home use, you would notice much difference in quality
on a 14 x 11 inch print produced by either of the 6 or 8 megapixel cameras
you refer to. But the larger the print beyond this, the more is the need to
get 8MP or a better camera such as the Sony R1 (that is, IMHO).

Old February 2nd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Never Enough Money wrote:
I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in this group - I'm just too
lazy to search....

Maybe someone will not be too lazy to answer....
Old February 2nd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I see that Bell + Howell have put out a slim 10 megapixel camera for $399,
so this might be worth looking at.

Naw, it's the interpolated resolution:

a.. 10.0 Mega-Pixel-Camera

a.. Uses interpolation to achieve 10.0 mega pixels

Old February 2nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2 Feb 2006 09:44:27 -0800, Never Enough Money wrote:

I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in this group - I'm just too
lazy to search....

So if you'll please indulge me:
Is there a web site where I can see or read about what the picture
quality is for various pixel counts?

Seems like I once saw the same photo with 2 megapixels up to 10
megapixels and you could see just how much each advance in the numbers
of pixels added.

I specifically want to know how much better if 8 megapixels (Canon
Rebel XT) is than 6 megapixels (Nikon D70s).

TIA.

IMHO, this is a pointless exercise. Image quality depends on many factors,
some of which often contribute more than pixels.

In particular: lens quality, sensor size/noise, and JPEG compression algos.

To compare the 2 cameras you mention, I'd recommend:

1. Go to www.dpreview.com and check the detailed camera reviews; and

2. Go to www.photosig.com and examine a bunch of hi-res images from each
camera.

Pete
Old February 2nd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

I see that Bell + Howell have put out a slim 10 megapixel camera for
$399,
so this might be worth looking at.

Naw, it's the interpolated resolution:

a.. 10.0 Mega-Pixel-Camera

a.. Uses interpolation to achieve 10.0 mega pixels

Thanks for pointing this out, it is in the small print! I wonder what its
"real" megapixel number is? Is this advertising a bit deceptive then do you
think?

Old February 3rd 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere in this group - I'm just too
lazy to search....

So if you'll please indulge me:
Is there a web site where I can see or read about what the picture
quality is for various pixel counts?

Here's what you actually need. I hope you're not too lazy to read and
understand the topic too. g

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com/gallery

Old February 3rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I had a 4mp Ixus/Elph for years. Recently I got an 8mp Panasonic FZ30,
wanting a big, clear lense that would get everything.
I did a test shot with the Ixus, and then the Lumix set to 3MP. The Lumix
shot is clearly more detailed and brighter and more exact, even in less MP
than the Elph.

--
ant

Old February 3rd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:44:27 -0800, Never Enough Money wrote:

I specifically want to know how much better if 8 megapixels (Canon
Rebel XT) is than 6 megapixels (Nikon D70s).

Specifically, all things considered, not much.

Stef