Olympus FE 230 - software wont delete pictures after transfer?

Old April 26th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GS[_2_]

Default Olympus FE 230 - software wont delete pictures after transfer?

A dept where I work just picked up an fe230 camera to record new
employee pics. For what they want I would have picked up something that
sits on a cradle and stays charged and transfers pic's with a button
push a la Kodak, but I digress.

I went and gave them a crash course on using it, then installed the
bundled software, which transfers easily enough to albums on the pc, but
there is no mechanism that I can see that will delete the pictures from
the camera automatically after transfer! They have to open the folder in
an explorer window, find the pictures and manually delete them.

Did I miss something here? Or is this the way it's done with these P&S
cameras?

thanks
Old April 26th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
cgiorgio

"GS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4i6Yh.1970$JF6.477@edtnps90...
A dept where I work just picked up an fe230 camera to record new employee
pics. For what they want I would have picked up something that sits on a
cradle and stays charged and transfers pic's with a button push a la Kodak,
but I digress.

I went and gave them a crash course on using it, then installed the
bundled software, which transfers easily enough to albums on the pc, but
there is no mechanism that I can see that will delete the pictures from
the camera automatically after transfer! They have to open the folder in
an explorer window, find the pictures and manually delete them.

Did I miss something here? Or is this the way it's done with these P&S
cameras?

thanks

As far as I know the FE230 like most Olympus cameras connects to the PC as a
mass storage device - no need to use the Olympus software, Windows Explorer
will work as well. Of course you can "cut and paste" from the camera DCIM -
Directory to a directory on the hard disk which would erase the original
files on the camera's memory card or you can also erase the files using
Explorer after they have successfully been copied to another storage place.
What you should not do is format the card using Windows.

Old April 26th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:35:44 +0000, GS wrote:

A dept where I work just picked up an fe230 camera to record new
employee pics. For what they want I would have picked up something that
sits on a cradle and stays charged and transfers pic's with a button
push a la Kodak, but I digress.

I went and gave them a crash course on using it, then installed the
bundled software, which transfers easily enough to albums on the pc, but
there is no mechanism that I can see that will delete the pictures from
the camera automatically after transfer! They have to open the folder in
an explorer window, find the pictures and manually delete them.

Did I miss something here? Or is this the way it's done with these P&S
cameras?

thanks

FWIW - from what I've been able to piece together, it seems that most
instances of 'corrupted' memory cards seem to be due to the practice of
deleting pictures and then taking more photos. IMHO - much better to
format in the camera after it fills any you've dumped the pictures.

Old April 26th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ben Brugman

FWIW - from what I've been able to piece together, it seems that most
instances of 'corrupted' memory cards seem to be due to the practice of
deleting pictures and then taking more photos. IMHO - much better to
format in the camera after it fills any you've dumped the pictures.

Yes, but most drunks also started their lives drinking milk.

What I am saying is that most people delete the pictures from the memory
cards and the reuse the memory card. So this group is so much larger than
the group actually formatting the cards, that more problems with this method
does not indicate that the method is less safe.

To the OP, most programs do not delete pictures after transfer.
I for myself do not want the pictures to be deleted until I have at least at
two places a copy of the picture and I have seen the copies work.

So transfer the pictures.
Make a copy to a external disk.
Check the copy on the external disk, if everything is present then
delete the pictures from the memory card in camera, or on the PC.

Ben

Old April 26th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GS[_2_]

ben brugman wrote:

[...]

Well, in this case the pictures are not that critical, so if they find
it to much of a pain to manually delete the pictures after transferring
them I'll just write a batch file they can invoke to do it all.

I've only used my own 2 P&S camera's , an old kodak that deleted the
pictures after transfer, and afaik my wifes sony does the same thing
with its software, but most of the time I just plug the card into the
reader on my epson and do it manually.
Old April 28th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:23:28 GMT, GS wrote:

I've only used my own 2 P&S camera's , an old kodak that deleted the
pictures after transfer, and afaik my wifes sony does the same thing
with its software, but most of the time I just plug the card into the
reader on my epson and do it manually.

Many old-timers are not going to do the 'delete after transfer' thing
because there are too many things to go wrong. Once the pics are
deleted and overwritten, they are gone forever.
Far better to transfer, check the validity of the transferred files,
*then* erase from the card.
Experience is a very harsh teacher. :-(

The View on Disney-owned ABC dropped Rosie
O'Donnell, even after she agreed to stop
talking about George Bush. The president
has no leverage over ABC. Disney is not a
defense contractor, unless you count the
war rationales we buy from Fantasyland.