strange motor drive problem

Old January 13th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
alysonsdad

Default strange motor drive problem

I have a nikon FM with the MD-11 motor drive with new batteries. If I
point the camera to the floor, the md works. If I point it at anyother
angle, it doesn't. Any one got any ideas??

TIA
Red

Old January 13th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jan Keirse

alysonsdad wrote:

I have a nikon FM with the MD-11 motor drive with new batteries. If I
point the camera to the floor, the md works. If I point it at anyother
angle, it doesn't. Any one got any ideas??

Sounds like either there's a loose contact or the batteries are to small. I have
a non-Nikon battery pack for my F80 and with some batteries I have to be very
carefull when inserting them because they are slightly smaller than the battery
pack would like. Because of this thye don't make perfect contact.

--
Jan Keirse - +32 (0)485/089.786
http://jankeirse.free.fr
Old January 13th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Jan Keirse" wrote in message
alysonsdad wrote:

I have a nikon FM with the MD-11 motor drive with new batteries. If I
point the camera to the floor, the md works. If I point it at anyother
angle, it doesn't. Any one got any ideas??

Sounds like either there's a loose contact or the batteries are to small.
I have
a non-Nikon battery pack for my F80 and with some batteries I have to be
very
carefull when inserting them because they are slightly smaller than the
battery
pack would like. Because of this thye don't make perfect contact.

If this is the case, you might try blocking them forward with a small brass
washer, or something similar.......

Old January 14th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 13, 3:13*pm, "alysonsdad" wrote:
I have a nikon FM with the MD-11 motor drive with new batteries. *If I
point the camera to the floor, the md works. *If I point it at anyother
angle, it doesn't. *Any one got any ideas??

TIA
Red The same thing happened to a Ricoh XR-2 I had. It was a tiny spec of foam fell off and got stuck to the side of the mirror box. It I held it normally the mirror would stick and if I held it upside down, it would have enough momentum to drop past it. But It was so tiny, it took a while to see it. Bob Hickey

Old January 14th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JoelM

Check the 4 contacts inside the motor drive. The MD-11 internal contacts
came to a point, similar to the head of a nail, and the smallest bit a
corrosion caused a problem. Clead all contacts with a pen eraser and see if
this cures the problem. Nikon upgraded the internal contact plate on later
MD-11's with a more rounded surface.

Also, the motor drive switch in the camera, part of the camera battery ass'y
maybe cracked, OR, the shutter and/or shutter brake ass'y may be sticking or
worn.

Joel

ups.com...