Worth repairing? Minolta dimage five

Old November 20th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Worth repairing? Minolta dimage five

In a very boneheaded move I managed to bend the pins on my compact
flash card pins inside my camera. I was able to straighten the pins,
but I have later learned that the pins also have to be at various
heights. Consequently, the camera is no longer working. Would it be
worth the money to repair this camera (vintage 2001?), or would I be
better off just putting my money into a new camera? Also, what would
you recommend as a similar type of camera?

Old November 20th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

wrote in message
ups.com...
In a very boneheaded move I managed to bend the pins on my compact
flash card pins inside my camera. I was able to straighten the pins,
but I have later learned that the pins also have to be at various
heights. Consequently, the camera is no longer working. Would it be
worth the money to repair this camera (vintage 2001?), or would I be
better off just putting my money into a new camera? Also, what would
you recommend as a similar type of camera?

Well, the DiMAGE 5 is a nice camera. If you could get an estimate on what
the repair would cost, you could probably decide for yourself whether it's
worth it.

If not, there are other models like it, such as the DiMAGE 7, 7i and 7Hi,
that have everything the 5 has plus more resolution, newer technology, etc.,
which should show up on eBay fairly often. And then the last models in that
family with Anti-Shake, the DiMAGE A1, A2 and A200, one or two of which may
still be available new and at discounted prices. These are all nice cameras.
I have the DiMAGE 5, 7i, 7Hi and A200 myself. I'll probably be selling some
of 'em on eBay since I really have too many cameras.

Neil

Old November 20th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Also, what wouldyou recommend as a similar type of camera?

Well, the DiMAGE 5 is a nice camera. If you could get an estimate on what
the repair would cost, you could probably decide for yourself whether it's
worth it.

If not, there are other models like it, such as the DiMAGE 7, 7i and 7Hi,
that have everything the 5 has plus more resolution, newer technology, etc.,
which should show up on eBay fairly often. And then the last models in that
family with Anti-Shake, the DiMAGE A1, A2 and A200, one or two of which may
still be available new and at discounted prices. These are all nice cameras.
I have the DiMAGE 5, 7i, 7Hi and A200 myself. I'll probably be selling some
of 'em on eBay since I really have too many cameras.

Neil

Thank you for your reply. Given todays improvements over my existing
camera, at what point (what $ amount) would you think I would be
throwing money away in getting this camera functioning again? TIA for
your consideration.

Old November 21st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I really don't know. I would say that depends on how much you like the
camera, or cameras of the type. Also, you might want to check out eBay or
other sources to see what such cameras are selling for now. You could always
sell your DiMAGE 5 on eBay describing its problem. Someone else might be
willing to fix it or have it fixed, or just use it for parts. I've seen a
lot of broken equipment selling on eBay for parts, sometimes at surprisingly
good prices.

The DiMAGE 7 series cameras (by which I mean all the models from the 5 to
the A200) really have some nice features, especially the ability to zoom
*manually* instead of motorized. The later models have considerable
technical improvements over the earlier ones. I have other cameras with
motorized zoom lenses (mostly Nikons) and like them very much, but there's
no question that a manual zoom gives you far more precise and handy control.
That may or may not be important to you. If it is important, there are only
a few other digital cameras (apart from SLRs of course) that offer a manual
zoom. The Panasonic FZ30 is one very attractive example, and you might
consider that if you decide not to buy another Minolta.

Neil