UK: good London camera shops

Old April 18th 12, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Default UK: good London camera shops

nospam writes:

In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:

OK, then Canon doesn't have a problem. EF fits on all and EF-S
fits on the crop cameras.

all full frame nikon autofocus lenses fit on all nikon crop cameras,
just as all full frame canon autofocus lenses (ef) fit on all canon
crop cameras.

the difference is that nikon manual focus lenses *also* fit nikon
cameras, but canon manual focus lenses do not.

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens. I didn't find
that much of an inconvenience -- but then I've used meterless cameras
before, *without* the ability to instantly check histogram on the LCD.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old April 18th 12, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

true, but that's even less of an issue.

I didn't find
that much of an inconvenience -- but then I've used meterless cameras
before, *without* the ability to instantly check histogram on the LCD.

it still can meter, it's just an iterative process
Old April 18th 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

true, but that's even less of an issue.

Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. Many people
today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
later.

I didn't find
that much of an inconvenience -- but then I've used meterless cameras
before, *without* the ability to instantly check histogram on the LCD.

it still can meter, it's just an iterative process

Yes, that's not TOO unfair a description :-)
Old April 18th 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

true, but that's even less of an issue.

Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. Many people
today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
later.

you aren't the type of person who buys low end bodies.

people who buy low end bodies aren't likely to use more than 1 or 2
lenses, which they will buy with the body. they aren't likely to have
decades old manual focus lenses, so the fact that the low end bodies
don't meter is not a big deal.

people who do have old lenses will buy a midrange or high end body and
that capability is there.
Old April 18th 12, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation. low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

Some low-end bodies also can't meter through an AIS lens.

true, but that's even less of an issue.

Is for me; some people seem much more bothered than I am. Many people
today don't have my experience of *starting* with a meterless camera
with manual exposure, and only acquiring a light meter some years
later.

you aren't the type of person who buys low end bodies.

I started out using a hand-me-down from my mother -- a Bolsey 35
fixed-lens rangefinder camera. But the stuff I've bought myself, yeah;
I've been fairly well-funded and pretty serious about photography.

people who buy low end bodies aren't likely to use more than 1 or 2
lenses, which they will buy with the body. they aren't likely to have
decades old manual focus lenses, so the fact that the low end bodies
don't meter is not a big deal.

people who do have old lenses will buy a midrange or high end body and
that capability is there.

The exception I see is adolescents and college students, trying to put
together combinations of new, borrowed, passed down, and used equipment
to make things work. And the serious ones will just read up on it a
bit, and the non-serious ones will do what you describe, I suppose.
Old April 20th 12, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J Taylor wrote:

I note that Nikon full frame cameras can take DX (APS-C) lenses, and can
then produce even higher frame rates using just the central portion of the
sensor. Having said that, I suspect that with today's resolutions taking
HD video might well be good enough for those occasions where the exact
moment must be captured, or "just" pressing the button at the right
moment....

That'd be 4K cine cameras. 8 MPix ...

-Wolfgang
Old April 20th 12, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam wrote:
In article , Ian
wrote:

I didn't know that Nikon's FF cameras can use the APS-C lenses. Nice idea
and something that Canon ought to try.

canon *can't* do that because ef-s lenses will not mount on a full
frame canon camera. canon designed ef-s lenses to have a shorter
backfocus and it's possible the mirror will smash into the rear of the
lens. not good.

You're a fan of long backfocus in general? What does it gain?

nikon didn't make that mistake,

Canon made the ... mistake of choosing a flange distance so
that Nikon lenses could be mounted. Nikon didn't make that
mistake, so Canon lenses cannot be mounted on Nikon cameras.

and nikon dx lenses will mount on a
nikon full frame dslr. the camera will automatically go into crop mode,
but that can be overridden if desired since some dx lenses do cover the
full frame.

Well, Nikon made the mistake of not making FF cameras for a
long while, even ruling them out, so they had to offer that
as a bone.

-Wolfgang
Old April 20th 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

On 20/04/2012 11:47, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
David J wrote:

I note that Nikon full frame cameras can take DX (APS-C) lenses, and can
then produce even higher frame rates using just the central portion of the
sensor. Having said that, I suspect that with today's resolutions taking
HD video might well be good enough for those occasions where the exact
moment must be captured, or "just" pressing the button at the right
moment....

That'd be 4K cine cameras. 8 MPix ...

The limitation of affordable HD video cameras is not so much the sensor
but the compression of the video... Most broadcasters want footage be
at least 50 Mbps.

(Actually the recommendation is: at least 4:2:2 sampling, 50 Mbps for
long GOP codecs, 100 Mbps for intra codecs, 8 bit is ok, but 10bit for
some types of pictures. The BBC have additionally the stipulation that
sensors (chips) must be no smaller than 1/2").

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old April 29th 12, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam wrote:
In article , Wolfgang
Weisselberg wrote:

OK, then Canon doesn't have a problem. EF fits on all and EF-S
fits on the crop cameras.

all full frame nikon autofocus lenses fit on all nikon crop cameras,
just as all full frame canon autofocus lenses (ef) fit on all canon
crop cameras.

All Nikon lenses fit on Canon EOS cameras (with a converter).

the difference is that nikon manual focus lenses *also* fit nikon
cameras, but canon manual focus lenses do not.

Wrong. The TS-E lenses fit on EOS cameras, but are manual
focus only. The MP-E also fits on EOS cameras, but doesn't have
autofocus either.

The difference is that all Nikon lenses (and most other lenses
too) --- including the manual focus lenses --- *also* fit on
Canon EOS cameras.

low end nikon bodies may not be able to focus some of those lenses, but
that's the only limitation.

So you can fully meter with these lenses? I think not.

low end bodies are not targeted at people
who have lots of lenses, particularly older ones, so this limitation is
very minor and moot.

If *you* say so ...

And no stupid "hey, I'm a 15 MPix
camera, but I will only give you 5 MPix or black borders".
If a lens fits, it works 100 percent.

all lenses work 100%, but a dx lens is obviously is not going to cover
the full frame, however, some do and nikon lets you choose.

So they don't work 100%.

And thus your "You know that Canon changed their mount" was a
smoke grenade ... which turns out to be in Canon's favour.

actually no it wasn't.

Ah, so it *was* ignorance, after all.

-Wolfgang