Why only Thumbnail view for jpg, but not Tiff Windows Explorer

Old February 3rd 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
lbbss

Default Why only Thumbnail view for jpg, but not Tiff Windows Explorer

Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.
Old February 3rd 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum[_2_]

"lbbss" wrote in message
Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

Part of the problem may be that jpg images have a thumbnail image stored in
the file and that is what Windows displays. Tiff does not (as far as I
know). So Windows would have to load the entire image and resize it (make a
thumbnail) for each image. This would take time and make displaying a folder
with many images even slower.

There may be a solution but either the thumbnail has to be created in
advance (causing a possible disconnect between the thumbnail and an edited
image) or the thumbnail has to be created at use and slow display.

Good luck

Randy

Old February 3rd 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:31:26 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote
in :

Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

What version of Windows? I get TIFF thumbnails in Windows XP Explorer.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old February 3rd 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:08:53 -0600, "Randy Berbaum"
wrote in :

"lbbss" wrote in message
Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

Part of the problem may be that jpg images have a thumbnail image stored in
the file and that is what Windows displays. Tiff does not (as far as I
know).

TIFF files can contain multiple image formats, including a small preview
image, albeit not necessarily.

So Windows would have to load the entire image and resize it (make a
thumbnail) for each image. This would take time and make displaying a folder
with many images even slower.

There may be a solution but either the thumbnail has to be created in
advance (causing a possible disconnect between the thumbnail and an edited
image) or the thumbnail has to be created at use and slow display.

Windows XP displays TIFF thumbnails reasonably quickly, and normally
caches the result for reuse.

Old February 3rd 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:31:26 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote
in :

Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

If you're running Windows XP SP2, and thumbnail isn't working properly,
you might want to try installing the Windows Imaging Component
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8E011506-6307-445B-B950-215DEF45DDD8&displaylang=en

Old February 3rd 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
lbbss

I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4
Old February 3rd 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:28:38 -0800 (PST), lbbss
wrote:

I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
do the job.

--
John Bean
Old February 3rd 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

wrote:

I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
do the job.

1. Google searches won't always return the same order.

2. ST Thumbnails Explorer won't do what the OP wants.

Old February 3rd 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:

I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
do the job.

1. Google searches won't always return the same order.

True

2. ST Thumbnails Explorer won't do what the OP wants.

Perhaps, but I'll bet one of them will. The point was to
encourage a bit of simple research rather than expecting
someone else to do the work for you.

Self-reliance is rarely a bad thing - especially when the
information is so easy to find.

--
John Bean
Old February 3rd 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

wrote:

I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
do the job.

1. Google searches won't always return the same order.

True

2. ST Thumbnails Explorer won't do what the OP wants.

Perhaps, but I'll bet one of them will.

What odds? I know of only a very few packages that enhance Explorer
thumbnail capability, none of which work with Windows 2000.

The point was to
encourage a bit of simple research rather than expecting
someone else to do the work for you.

Self-reliance is rarely a bad thing - especially when the
information is so easy to find.

Fair enough, but how is it on point to give the OP advice that doesn't
help, and how do you know the OP hasn't tried and failed? This is a
tough nut to crack.