Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX Lens

Old June 15th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

Default Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX Lens

Thanks to all who answered my query about this lens.
Amazon has it in stock for $199 with free shipping and a Tiffen UV
filter, so I ordered it and expect it in about 10 days (free shipping
on Amazon is kind of slow) and will report on it in due time.
--
Michael

Old June 15th 11, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011-06-14 22:28 , Michael wrote:
Thanks to all who answered my query about this lens.
Amazon has it in stock for $199 with free shipping and a Tiffen UV
filter, so I ordered it and expect it in about 10 days (free shipping on
Amazon is kind of slow) and will report on it in due time.

I find Amazon systematically promise long delivery times and deliver
better than promised when free shipping is selected and they are the
vendor. (Buying from others via Amazon has mixed results).

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old June 15th 11, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
I find Amazon systematically promise long delivery times and deliver
better than promised when free shipping is selected and they are the
vendor. (Buying from others via Amazon has mixed results).

Yes, it's better than promising tomorrow and the good haven't arrived a
week later! Agreed on 3rd-party vendors (at least in the UK).

Cheers,
David

Old June 16th 11, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

On 2011-06-15 13:37:31 -0400, David Ruether said:

"RichA" wrote in message
:
On Jun 14, 10:28*pm, Michael wrote:

Thanks to all who answered my query about this lens.
Amazon has it in stock for $199 with free shipping and a Tiffen UV
filter, so I ordered it and expect it in about 10 days (free shipping
on Amazon is kind of slow) and will report on it in due time.
--
Michael *

You can get a good Hoya or B&W filter to replace the Tiffen on Ebay
for about $20.00 as well. The one they supply with it might not even
be coated. Check it once you get it.

At least in the past, Tiffen filters were "bottom of the barrel",
being uncoated and tending to self-fog within a couple of months
to the point that using them without first cleaning them was
similar to using a diffusion filter. They also have unusually
thick rims that can cause vignetting with some lenses. Ugh...
--DR

I will but frankly I don't often use UV filters.
--
Michael

Old June 16th 11, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

On 2011-06-14 23:18:13 -0400, Mike said:

On 14/06/2011 10:28 PM, Michael wrote:
Thanks to all who answered my query about this lens.
Amazon has it in stock for $199 with free shipping and a Tiffen UV
filter, so I ordered it and expect it in about 10 days (free shipping on
Amazon is kind of slow) and will report on it in due time.

Enjoy the lens.

Mike

Thank you. i am watching several auctions for USED versons of this lens
on ebay and ALL of them that closed in the last day have been for
substantially MORE than Amazon's price new, and most add shipping
charges. Some people will buy anything at auction. To buy that lens
used without checking the new price on B&H, Adorama and Amazon first is
lunacy.
--
Michael

Old June 16th 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 6/14/2011 10:28 PM, Michael wrote:
Thanks to all who answered my query about this lens.
Amazon has it in stock for $199 with free shipping and a Tiffen UV
filter, so I ordered it and expect it in about 10 days (free shipping on
Amazon is kind of slow) and will report on it in due time.

Be creative with your new lens. You will probably see that the shipping
is not as slow as you think. the say ten days, but it usually is much
faster.

--
Peter
Old June 16th 11, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2011-06-15 13:37:31 -0400, David Ruether said:

"RichA" wrote in message
:
[...]

You don't really need one.
You can easily cut through most haze in post processing.

One method:
http://www.jakeludington.com/photography/20060921_fixing_haze_in_digital_photos.html

Google "digital haze tutorial" for tons of other methods.

Look at the archives for debates on the issue of lens protection.

--
Peter
Old June 16th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_4_]

:
On 2011-06-15 13:37:31 -0400, David Ruether said:
"RichA" wrote in message
:
[...]

I have ***NEVER*** seen one honest demonstration of a UV
filter "cutting through haze". Most "demonstrations" are
faked by filter manufacturers to sell the filter, although
some will give a yellow tint to the image which reduces
apparent blue a tad. What UV filters do, though, is protect
the lens front surface from dust, cleaning scratches,
accidents, oily finger marks (which can be hard to remove,
and which WILL affect the image), etc. A *GOOD* UV filter
will have NO ill effect on the performance of a lens, and
it can be removed for cleaning, washing, or replacement.

Old June 16th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 6/16/2011 9:52 AM, David Ruether wrote:

snip

I have ***NEVER*** seen one honest demonstration of a UV
filter "cutting through haze". Most "demonstrations" are
faked by filter manufacturers to sell the filter, although
some will give a yellow tint to the image which reduces
apparent blue a tad. What UV filters do, though, is protect
the lens front surface from dust, cleaning scratches,
accidents, oily finger marks (which can be hard to remove,
and which WILL affect the image), etc. A *GOOD* UV filter
will have NO ill effect on the performance of a lens, and
it can be removed for cleaning, washing, or replacement.

The only files I use are polarizeers, my home made variable neutral
density filter and my home made variable haze increasing filter.

As for filter protection, the effectiveness is up top the user.
--
Peter