Will my old lenses work on Nikon F6?

Old November 18th 04, 07:43 AM
Dave

Default Will my old lenses work on Nikon F6?

I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F6 body, and was wondering if my three
old lenses will work with it, or must I get shot of them?

All my lenses were bought about 16 or so years ago. There are the
following, in which I have always put the data in the same format as
written on the lens, along with my own notes.

1) NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8. What I assume is the serial number is 4267718.
This was bought new on an FA body. The minimum apeture is f22, and the f
11, 16 and 22 are written in yellow, blue and red respectively. It has a
52 mm filter thread.

2) Tamron SP 60-300mm, 1:3.8-5.4 (that's means f 3.8 to f 5.4, although
the way it is written might confuse people). Marked BBAR MC 40
degress-8degrees (they use the degree sign, rather than the word
degrees). 23A. It has a 62 mm filter thread. The minimum focusing
distance on the imperial scale (green) is 6.5', and on the metric (in
white) is 1.9m. This has a macro facility, and shows magnifications of
1:2, 1:2.5, 1:3 and 1:4 (it is continuous not stepped I might add).
Minimum apeture is f32. Under the f32, it is is marked "AE" in red. This
I think I bought new at about this time of the FA, but I can't recall. I
might have bought it used.

This uses the Tamron adapters, so if the adapter I have will not mount
on the F6, can I buy an adapter that will?

3) Tamron 1:2.8 f=135mm. BBAR MC. The minimum focusing distance on the
metric scale (red) is 1.5 m and on the imperial (white) 5'. I definately
bought this used, so have no idea of its age.

Same thing, it takes Tamron adapters.

I would take a photograph of them, but just realised the person who
recently burgled my house took the lead that connects the Fujipix
digital camera to the USB port of my PC (they stole the monitor, which
had a USB hub in it).

Incedently, am I likely to get much for these lenses if traded in for an
F6 body, and probably a lens too? I will need to buy the camera from
Jessops in the UK - I have no choice on that matter. But I don't need to
tell the sales staff about the vouchers until after agreeing a sale. I
assume people are likely to be a bit more generous on trade ins if they
think you are buying an F6 body, but perhaps not.

Old November 18th 04, 06:12 PM
Uranium Committee

Dave wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F6 body,

WHY?

and was wondering if my three
old lenses will work with it, or must I get shot of them?

Ask Nikon.

All my lenses were bought about 16 or so years ago.

Sell all that Nikon crap and get a Leicaflex R9 and some REAL lenses.

Old November 18th 04, 08:55 PM
Martin Francis

"Dave" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F6 body, and was wondering if my three old
lenses will work with it, or must I get shot of them?

All my lenses were bought about 16 or so years ago. There are the
following, in which I have always put the data in the same format as
written on the lens, along with my own notes.

Yes, they will work. However, if you have the cash for an F6, I question why
you'd choose to keep these particular lenses (given that the Tamron 60-300
is less than impressive, optically). Over here in the UK you could get a
used F5, 50/1.8, 35-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8 (all AF-Nikkors) for less than the
price of a new F6, and your pictures would be sharper (and you'd have the
option of autofocus and matrix metering with AF lenses), and a 1.4x
teleconverter to bring you up near the 300mm mark wouldn't cost much.

Or save even more and get a used F100- it really isn't that far off the F6
spec.

(BTW, ignore Uranium Committee- his attitude is that one should prove their
commitment to photography by using the most expensive gear possible,
otherwise one should give up. If he genuinely follows this, one can only
assume that he applies it to every stage of his life- that he drives to work
in a Ferrari and posts to the internet using the best home computer money
can buy. Otherwise, it is safe to assume he is trolling for attention).

no, and yes...."

Old November 18th 04, 11:06 PM
Dave

Roger wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:43:49 +0000, Dave wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F6 body, and was wondering if my three
old lenses will work with it, or must I get shot of them?

All my lenses were bought about 16 or so years ago. There are the
following, in which I have always put the data in the same format as
written on the lens, along with my own notes.

1) NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8. What I assume is the serial number is 4267718.
This was bought new on an FA body. The minimum aperture is f22, and the f
11, 16 and 22 are written in yellow, blue and red respectively. It has a
52 mm filter thread.

Dave,

Your Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens should work on the body OK. If you bought
it with a FA, it should be at least an AI lens. You will have to set
up a menu selection to tell the camera what lens you are using in
order to get proper metering with the color matrix metering.

Cheers. I read the documentation and determined what lenses it would
take, but were unsure what mine were.

This is
an excellent lens but an AF version is available for $120 US.

Yes, that does make the manual one seem rather unattractive. Perhaps
I'll get an AF and keep the manual focus one as a spare - I gather its
resale value is next to nothing, which is hardly surprising if an AF one
is only $120.

The lens
quality is the most critical element equipment element to making good
pictures. Either of these fits that requirement. However with a $2300
body or $2600 with vertical grip, your current lenses are really
generations out of date (with the exception of the 50mm f1.8 of which
I still have and use three different versions).

I realise they are rather old, and would give limited functionality.

I'm not at all sure about the Tamron lenses and IMO this would be a
good time to update these lenses.

It is the pennies really.

I must admit I did consider betting a used f5, and spending more on
lenses. I'm sure in the short term that would be more sensible, but
perhaps in the longer term, after which I should have some money to get
better lenses, the F6 route is better.

One of the strengths of the F6 is it's newest generation AF. You would
really be passing up a lot of functionality by staying with the MF
lenses.

Yes I realise that.

I will certainly buy one auto focus lens with the body, but quite what
one I don't know. Jessops said I should be looking at the 'D' lenses for
such a body, but someone else suggested a 28-200 G lens, whilst not the
best lens ever made, is still pretty good and at quite an attractive
price. But perhaps I'll splash out a bit more and get a 'D' lens.

Perhaps this is a good time to buy a used F100 and upgrade your lenses
for the next generation body when you've saved enough.

I sort of feel once I buy a body I am stuck with it - If I buy an F5, Io
doubt I will ever upgrade it to an F6.

Whereas if I upgrade the lenses when I have some more money, I will have
the best of each. I would really like a long telephoto more than
anything, but they do cost serious money.

I think you've got the cart before the horse. But the F6 is also my
dream machine - but I'm having so much fun with my other cameras right
now that I really don't think I'm going to jump. BTW: you can also buy
a used F5 for 1/3 the price of the F6. Either the F100 or the F5 are
great cameras. I use a F100 for a lighter weight travel body and a F5
for other work.

Thanks, I will bear these constructive comments in mind.

Have fun whatever you decide. Do think about upgrading the lenses.

Yes, will do. There is no doubt I will upgrade at least one.

Regards,
Roger

Old November 18th 04, 11:17 PM
Dave

Martin Francis wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message ...

I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F6 body, and was wondering if my three old
lenses will work with it, or must I get shot of them?

All my lenses were bought about 16 or so years ago. There are the
following, in which I have always put the data in the same format as
written on the lens, along with my own notes.

Yes, they will work. However, if you have the cash for an F6, I question why
you'd choose to keep these particular lenses (given that the Tamron 60-300
is less than impressive, optically).

I was mainly looking for a short term solution - in the longer term I
will replace them all, but in the short term I can't afford to buy all
new autofocus ones.

Over here in the UK you could get a
used F5, 50/1.8, 35-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8 (all AF-Nikkors) for less than the
price of a new F6, and your pictures would be sharper (and you'd have the
option of autofocus and matrix metering with AF lenses), and a 1.4x
teleconverter to bring you up near the 300mm mark wouldn't cost much.

Matrix metering should work on the older lenses I believe - autofocus of
course will not.

Or save even more and get a used F100- it really isn't that far off the F6
spec.

I'd not considered that.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the autofocus would work better on
the later camera. Obviously that is irrelavant using manual focus
lenses, but in the longer term I will replace them all, which is why I
thought of buying the latest body, and updating the lenses later.

(BTW, ignore Uranium Committee- his attitude is that one should prove their
commitment to photography by using the most expensive gear possible,

I can't even be bothered to reply to someone like him.

Old November 19th 04, 12:05 AM
Martin Francis

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Or save even more and get a used F100- it really isn't that far off the
F6 spec.

I'd not considered that.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the autofocus would work better on
the later camera. Obviously that is irrelavant using manual focus lenses,
but in the longer term I will replace them all, which is why I thought of
buying the latest body, and updating the lenses later.

The F5 and F100 are in no way shoddy, by anyone's standards- however, unless
you use AF-S lenses, you won't get top-notch AF speeds from an F5 or an F6-
Nikon AF is primarily body-driven, which is seemingly the real performance
bottleneck. Comparing AF speeds between F6 and F5 with non-AFS lenses is
pretty much like splitting hairs.

Older 35-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8 lenses are used bargains (circa £300-400 each
in reasonable condition, from the right sources), or an 85/1.8 and 180/2.8
combo wouldn't set you back much more than £500. Used F5 bodies are at an
all-time low- £500 seems the minimum, with £600-650 more common. 300mm f4.0
AF-ED lenses are around £400 too...

no, and yes...."

Old November 19th 04, 12:18 AM
William Graham

"Martin Francis" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

If he were really committed, he would just hire the pro of his choice, and
have him/her go to wherever and take the pictures for him.........

Old November 19th 04, 04:19 AM
Jerry L.

Why not find a price on a AF 24-85mm f2.8D~f4D Nikkor lens to go with
the intended purchase of the F6 body?

The 'older' glass you have is just that.

Chances are the older lenses may work, but not with Maxtrix metering,
and if Matrix metering does not matter to you, you can save a lot of
money and just get a Nikon F100 body.
= = =
Dave wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F6 body, and was wondering if my three
old lenses will work with it, or must I get shot of them?

SNIP