Upgrade to Nikon F6 from F100?

Old September 28th 04, 06:07 PM
Alan Browne

Default Upgrade to Nikon F6 from F100?

ar-fr wrote:
Hi,

Would it make sense to upgrade to a Nikon F6 from an F100? I'm not a
professional and I'm using the F100 for general photography.

I also have the FM2 and following lenses:
MF 24mm f/2.8
MF 50mm f/1.8
AF 35mm f/2.0
AF-S 24-85mm
AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 (latest version)

Is the F6 more compatible with the MF lenses than the F100 (metering)? I
suppose so... I'm still interested in buying MF lenses (example: 105mm
f/2.5).

I also have the SB-28 flash.

It might make more sen$e to wait and see if the rumored F105/F200 (whatever it
is and whatever it ends up being named) comes out in the next while. Not sure
about the metering with older lenses in the F6 or the rumored camera.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 28th 04, 09:47 PM
William Graham

"Roger" wrote in message
I especially like the ability to assign the exposure compensation on
the F100 to the command wheel (the F5 doesn't have that feature).

I don't understand this.....I change my EC all the time with the thumb wheel
just behind the trigger button....(You have to press a button labeled +/- on
top while you do this, which assigns it to that wheel) Once it's set, it
will not change, even if you turn the camera off, and back on again. You
will have to use the wheel to change it back. It is a control I use on my F5
all the time.....

Old September 29th 04, 01:13 AM
Michael Benveniste

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:32:27 GMT, "ar-fr" wrote:

Is the F6 more compatible with the MF lenses than the F100 (metering)?

Like the D2H and D2X, you get matrix metering with AI and AI-S lenses
on the F6.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old September 29th 04, 07:16 PM
Dallas

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:32:27 +0000, ar-fr had this to say:

Hi,

Would it make sense to upgrade to a Nikon F6 from an F100? I'm not a
professional and I'm using the F100 for general photography.

I also have the FM2 and following lenses: MF 24mm f/2.8
MF 50mm f/1.8
AF 35mm f/2.0
AF-S 24-85mm
AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 (latest version)

Is the F6 more compatible with the MF lenses than the F100 (metering)? I
suppose so... I'm still interested in buying MF lenses (example: 105mm
f/2.5).

I also have the SB-28 flash.

Thanks in advance!

I would never recommend a body upgrade for anyone who doesn't need one. I
wasn't aware that the F100 can't meter with MF lenses, which totally
sucks, but looking at your lens collection, I would say that if you wanted
a Nikon that can take pretty much any Nikkor lens, you should be looking
at a used F4.

With an AF-S lens on the F4, AF is not a problem, but the real benefit of
using this body is that you can mount and use pre-AI and AI lenses without
any problems. You can even use G lenses in P, Ph and S modes.

The body offers everything a Nikon shooter could ever want, from high FPS,
to 1/8000sec shutter speeds, matrix metering (even with AI lenses), a
boatload of accessories - most notably the MF-23 back, interchangeable
screens and prisms, plus a couple of drive options as well. I have a ML-1
remote control unit for the body that has a range of 60m, plus a remote
trigger that attaches with a cable. If you don't have those then you can
use an ordinary screw in release with the F4s drive option.

I've never owned a more adaptable Nikon body. Long live the F4!!!

BTW, I recently did a roll of slides in my studio with the F4s and the
105mm f/2.5 AI. Wow! That lens rocks!

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG

Old September 29th 04, 08:53 PM
Michael Benveniste

"Dallas" wrote:
I would never recommend a body upgrade for anyone who doesn't need one. I
wasn't aware that the F100 can't meter with MF lenses, which totally
sucks.

The F100 can meter with AI and AI-S lenses, but only in center-weighted
and spot modes. No matrix metering. You also lose shutter-priority
and program modes. Ditto for the F5.

The D2H/D2X/F6 family restores the matrix metering option.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old September 30th 04, 03:27 AM
Alex Wilde

In message l5k6d.65447$wV.54730@attbi_s54, William Graham
writes

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
I especially like the ability to assign the exposure compensation on
the F100 to the command wheel (the F5 doesn't have that feature).

I don't understand this.....I change my EC all the time with the thumb wheel
just behind the trigger button....(You have to press a button labeled +/- on
top while you do this, which assigns it to that wheel) Once it's set, it
will not change, even if you turn the camera off, and back on again. You
will have to use the wheel to change it back. It is a control I use on my F5
all the time.....

On the F100, you can do this, just the same, without pressing the +/-
button. It's not that big a deal.
--
Alex Wilde
Motor Sport Photography -

Old September 30th 04, 05:23 PM
Bob Kirkpatrick

I've never owned a more adaptable Nikon body. Long live the F4!!!

BTW, I recently did a roll of slides in my studio with the F4s and the
105mm f/2.5 AI. Wow! That lens rocks!

I second your opinion of the F4.

I have a question about flare (not ghosts) with the 105 f/2.5 in the
studio. When I shoot a blank white portrait background using a white
background cloth and overexposing the background, say f/11 or f/16
with an f/8 subject, I start to lose contrast due to flare at anything
beyond one stop over. My best Nikon (and other) lenses may get to 1
1/2 over but they're obviously flaring at 2 stops over. I often end
up placing black flags on both sides of the subject to block reflected
light from the background that is out of frame. Do you have a feel
for the flare performance of your 105 f/2.5 Nikkor compared to any
other lenses you have used in your studio?

Thanks,
Bob Kirkpatrick