Question About Memory Card Reader

Old October 2nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GassMan

Default Question About Memory Card Reader

Can anyone suggest which Memory Card Reader to use for the Sandisk
Extreme III 4.0GB Card?
Thanks

Old October 2nd 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:10:32 -0400, GassMan
wrote:

Can anyone suggest which Memory Card Reader to use for the Sandisk
Extreme III 4.0GB Card?

I suggest a Sandisk Extreme Reader, whatever the card :-)

--
John Bean
Old October 2nd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PCs Rule

"GassMan" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest which Memory Card Reader to use for the Sandisk
Extreme III 4.0GB Card?
Thanks

I use a Kingston FCR-HS215/1. It's pretty fast and has no problem with
either a Sandisk or a Toshiba SDHC 4 gig.
I forgot to say that it's also inexpensive (about $14 at buy.com)

Old October 3rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mardon

John Bean wrote:

I suggest a Sandisk Extreme Reader, whatever the card :-)

I use SanDisk 4GB Extreme III and Extreme IV cards. I started with an
Imagemate 12 in 1 SanDisk reader. It took a long time for downloads, so I
went to a SanDisk Extreme firewire reader connected to a firewire 400 card
(the reader supports firewire 800 too). I thought it would speed up
downloads to the computer. It did not. Even with a SanDisk Extreme IV
card in the Extreme reader, I average about 6.5 MB/sec, 7 MB/sec tops.
It's not the computer that's the bottleneck either. I have an HP6400
workstation (dual 3.6 Xeon processors), with 500 GB internal storage and 1+
TB external storage. I expected to get close to 30 MB/sec downloads. Can
anyone suggest the problem or does everyone find the same thing? BTW, my
workstation is dual boot; XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. Both operating
systems give about the same download speeds.
Old October 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 01:13:15 +0200 (CEST), Mardon
wrote:

John Bean wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry about your Firewire issues but I very much doubt
it's the reader. My USB Extreme reader gives 16MB/s on my
rather old Sempron 2600+ PC under XP Pro so I know the
Sandisk readers perform as advertised. That's why I made the
recommendation.

--
John Bean
Old October 3rd 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

GassMan wrote:
Can anyone suggest which Memory Card Reader to use for the Sandisk
Extreme III 4.0GB Card?
Thanks

Any firewire reader beats any USB type, with perhaps the odd exception.

--
John McWilliams
Old October 3rd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mardon

John Bean wrote:

I'm sorry about your Firewire issues but I very much doubt
it's the reader. My USB Extreme reader gives 16MB/s on my
rather old Sempron 2600+ PC under XP Pro so I know the
Sandisk readers perform as advertised. That's why I made the
recommendation.
--
John Bean

Thanks John,

I didn't mean to imply that I thought my problem is the reader; I don't. I
don't think it's the firewire connection either though. I capture digital
video at 720x40, 29.97 fps though that same port and never drop a frame. I
have no idea what the problem is. Strange that it does it with both OS's
too. I download from the card by just opening the CF card in Windows
Explorer and dragging the files to another folder in Windows Explorer. If
you do your downloads this way, do you still get high speeds?
Old October 3rd 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mardon wrote:
John Bean wrote:

[...]

If you have a USB interface, then the drivers for it may be the problem.
The 480mbps ratings are more than a bit optimistic. You might try
getting a firewire, or firewire 2 interface, and reader.
Old October 3rd 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 03:41:03 +0200 (CEST), Mardon
wrote:

John Bean wrote:

I'm sorry about your Firewire issues but I very much doubt
it's the reader. My USB Extreme reader gives 16MB/s on my
rather old Sempron 2600+ PC under XP Pro so I know the
Sandisk readers perform as advertised. That's why I made the
recommendation.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought my problem is the reader; I don't. I
don't think it's the firewire connection either though. I capture digital
video at 720x40, 29.97 fps though that same port and never drop a frame. I
have no idea what the problem is. Strange that it does it with both OS's
too. I download from the card by just opening the CF card in Windows
Explorer and dragging the files to another folder in Windows Explorer. If
you do your downloads this way, do you still get high speeds?

Yes. Even when using an image import program that renames
every file from the EXIF data it finds I still get in excess
of 13MB/s.

I'm not convinced that Firewire is well supported by Windows
PCs, I once had (past tense) a Firewire card and reader
because it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I gave
it up as a bad job and returned to USB.

It's odd how exactly the reverse is true on a Mac, where
users often report flaky USB performance but Firewire is
normally solid as a rock.

--
John Bean
Old October 3rd 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
anna[_2_]

On Oct 2, 11:10 pm, GassMan wrote:
Can anyone suggest which Memory Card Reader to use for the Sandisk
Extreme III 4.0GB Card?
Thanks

HI there i am at college studing photography and have been advised to
use sandisk readers on my memory cards.
hope that helps