Memory card question

Old July 25th 04, 03:38 PM
MedicMan

Default Memory card question

I recently bought the Nikon D70. I already had a Lexar 256 (12x) Compact
Flash card which works fine. I want to buy a 1gb card. I notice now that
some memory cards are offered in a faster speed (ex. Sandisk offers the
Ultra II) in addition to their standard compact flash card. Are the "faster"
cards worth the extra $$? Will I see a difference in performance with my
camera?

Thanks

Old July 25th 04, 05:37 PM
Matt Ion

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein
"MedicMan" wrote in message
I recently bought the Nikon D70. I already had a Lexar 256 (12x) Compact
Flash card which works fine. I want to buy a 1gb card. I notice now that
some memory cards are offered in a faster speed (ex. Sandisk offers the
Ultra II) in addition to their standard compact flash card. Are the

"faster"
cards worth the extra $$? Will I see a difference in performance with my
camera?

Depends on whether the camera is designed to make use of the higher-speed
cards. I would say it's likely your D70 does, but it's best to check the
specs. The back of the user's manual should list what types of cards it
supports with all the other technical data. Whether you'll really see a
difference will vary - if you do a lot of continuous shooting, then yes, you
will notice. If you like to flip quickly through your already-taken
pictures, you'll notice it too. When offloading your pictures to PC, you'll
most definitely notice it, especially if your machine has USB 2.0 ports
and/or you're using a card reader that supports the faster card.

Old July 25th 04, 06:26 PM
Douglas

On the D70,you will see the difference.I have a pair of D70s,and use many
cards.My favorite cards are the SanDisk Ultra IIs.The writes are faster,but
as always,a lot depends on how you use your camera!Most of my photos are of
airshows and auto races.The world of speed requires a card with speed! I
more often use several 512mb cards over one large card.

Old July 25th 04, 11:37 PM
Jimmy G

My Viking 1g card doesn't seem to noticeably slow my D70!

Old July 25th 04, 11:37 PM
Jimmy G

My Viking 1g card doesn't seem to noticeably slow my D70!

Old July 25th 04, 11:51 PM
larrylook

Some have said it depends how often you think you'll need to take many
photos is rapid sequence. I think this feature of the D70 is very helpful,
to get the right shot. Maybe you rarely take photos in rapid sequence - I
don't know. I bought the lexar 1gb 40x and am very happy with it in my D70.

Old July 26th 04, 03:15 AM
John

I also have a query about card speeds. I have a Canon Ixus 5 Megapixel
camera that came with a 32 Mb (FC-32MH) card. The card has "high speed"
written on it but no indication of what the speed is and I want to make sure
that any additional (higher capacity) card that I buy is going to be optimal
for this camera.
I have searched the specs in the manual but no mention of card speed. I have
searched the Canon website and various other sites on the web, trying to
find some discussion of CF card speed to try and ascertain the speed of the
FC-32MH or an indication of what speed could be used with this camera. I
have considered buying a Lexar 4X speed card but need to do my homework
first.
If anyone has any comments or answers I would very much appreciate it?

John