Odd Omega DII Lamp House design - light leak possible?

Old April 4th 04, 05:44 AM
Philip Wang

Default Odd Omega DII Lamp House design - light leak possible?

I was looking at my Omega DII lamp house. There are a few big holes on the
top of the lamp house acting as vent of the heat generated by the light
bulb. When I turn on the light there are plenty of light coming out from
those holes projected onto the ceiling and reflected back to the room.

My question is, is it obvious that this will cause some trouble of light
leak?

Anyone tried to cover those venting holes during the enlarging process -
and I find the lamp house is very hot so venting seems is really needed.

Thanks,
- philip
Old April 4th 04, 05:53 AM
Alecj

Yes, you are absolutely right, that light being reflected back down from the
ceiling will deteriorate [fog] your print. But, closing off those holes
will cause premature failure of your bulb.

In that case, get some black cloth, like felt, and attach it to the ceiling
so it won't reflect back. If you'll do some "before" and "after" prints, I
believe you'll see a difference. Try it. It won't be expensive. Just a
big square, maybe 3x3' should do it.
36...

Old April 4th 04, 06:16 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/3/2004 8:53 PM Alecj spake thus (bottom posted for continuity):

[...]

Alternatively, how about rigging up some kind of light baffle just above the
holes on the lamphouse? You should be able to do something with black
illustration board or something similar, to block the light but not the air
circulation.

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)

Old April 4th 04, 11:00 PM
Dan Quinn

Philip Wang wrote

I was looking at my Omega DII lamp house. There are a few big holes on the
top of the lamp house acting as vent of the heat generated by the light
bulb. When I turn on the light there are plenty of light coming out from
those holes projected onto the ceiling and reflected back to the room.

I think some part may be missing. Check inside the lamp housing;
perhaps some empty screw holes. Dan
Old April 5th 04, 05:25 AM
RWatson767

Philip
Odd Omega DII Lamp House design - light leak possible?

There is a cone shaped baffle missing. Send me a picture of your lamphouse and
I will see what I have in the rat hole.

Bob AZ