Ghost in the scanner ?

Old January 9th 05, 09:26 PM
Gautam Majumdar

Default Ghost in the scanner ?

I am having a very peculiar problem with my PF3650Pro3 slide scanner. When
I scan a series of slides it will intermittently reproduce a slide that I
had scanned earlier, rather than the slide I actually scanned. Not that
the same image will come back every time either. This happens quite at
random. As I understand, the scanner has a limited amount of memory to
hold the image before transferring it to the PC. Some images come back
after I have scanned some 30 or so slides. It happens at all settings,
i.e, whether the image size is large or small. The software for the
scanner came with it & runs under WindowsXP. The troubleshooting section
of the manual does not even mention this problem, nor there is anything in
the website. Does the scanner has a faulty memory which goes back in a
loop or is it likely that the software or even the OS is at fault. I don't
think the scanner has enough memory to hold all those images in the memory
to play back one at irregular intervals.

Any thoughts ?

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to
Old January 9th 05, 10:52 PM
MarkČ

"Gautam Majumdar" wrote in message
k...
[...]

I think it's more likely a file-naming, or file-handling fault on the part
of your computer.

Actually in-scanner memory is miniscule, and would therefore be pretty well
impossible for it to retain a full file's data after the scan, much less
many scans later.

Old January 10th 05, 07:05 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:52:12 +0000, MarkČ wrote:

[...]

Is it then a problem with XP ?

Initially, I assumed so because I was changing the file names very
quickly. The scanner gives the name Image0 to the first one and then 1, 2,
etc. everytime the software starts up. I was changing the names
immediately after the image was transfered and thought that scanner
software was getting confused. But yesterday I left the names as Image-x
for the whole series. I found that the Image-13 was repeated as Image-15,
and then Image-4 was repeated as Image-44. The real slide-15 & 44 images
were not there at all.

I have uninstalled & re-installed the software. I shall see whether it
makes any improvement.

Thanks

--

Gautam Majumdar