Memory card question, CF&SD

Old October 19th 04, 06:46 PM
mike

Default Memory card question, CF&SD

So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.

What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
change the whole media in just a two year period.

Old October 19th 04, 07:13 PM
mike

So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.

What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
change the whole media in just a two year period.

So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
my digital camera.

What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
Is it worth switching over?

Old October 19th 04, 07:24 PM
Bill Jackson

mike wrote:
So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.

What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
change the whole media in just a two year period.

So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
my digital camera.

What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
Is it worth switching over?

the reasons, size and cost.

CF components cost more and drive the size required for the storage slot
to be larger. Given that size of the camera is a consideration for most
people when purchasing, allocating more of the size to the card slot
leaves less ofthe size for the "rest of the stuff"

I too used to be concerned about taking my "high priced" memory forward
with me. Now that I can get a 256M CF or SD card for under $25(WAY
UNDER) , it really doesn't matter anymore does it....

As for the differences, there are write speed differences, SD can be
faster but is not always depending on the controller design. the new
higher speed CF stuff is getting up there as well, as long as the camera
has been designed to deal with it.

In the end my advice is to pick the camera you want, the memory will
come as an afterthought.

Old October 19th 04, 07:56 PM
Bryce

"Bill Jackson" wrote in message
mike wrote:
[...]

I'd have to agree. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car based on it's tires or gas
tank would you?

Choose the camera first.

As things always get cheaper, it's easy to second guess yourself on paying
high prices for media "way back when".