(Alfred Molon!!) Buying non-OEM proprietary batteries from ebay

Old November 18th 04, 03:12 AM
Mike Henley

Default (Alfred Molon!!) Buying non-OEM proprietary batteries from ebay

Calling Alfred (and others too), you did a test of batteries comparing
an original Olympus battery with 2 non-oem you bought from ebay. There
was a considerable difference in the quality of the two non-oem
batteries. The question is; I want to buy a couple of spare batteries
for my fujifilm f810, and there seems to be a bunch of those non-oem
sellers on ebay, how do i know which one to buy from?

Thanks
Old November 18th 04, 03:19 AM
Sabineellen

Also, are those non-oem batteries safe or should i just pay a little extra and
get the original fujifilm battery?
Old November 18th 04, 09:10 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , Mike
Henley says...
Calling Alfred (and others too), you did a test of batteries comparing
an original Olympus battery with 2 non-oem you bought from ebay. There
was a considerable difference in the quality of the two non-oem
batteries. The question is; I want to buy a couple of spare batteries
for my fujifilm f810, and there seems to be a bunch of those non-oem
sellers on ebay, how do i know which one to buy from?

The difference is not so huge after all. The original Olympus BLM-1
LiIon battery had a measured capacity of 1299 mAh, while the two cheaper
alternatives had 1077 and 744 mAh respectively.

While we might say that the 744 mAh is "bad", it is still usable. The
other one, the 1077 mAh one, is OK, because it has 83% of the capacity
of the original Olympus one - only 17% less.

On the other hand the original Olympus battery costs *17* times (in
words: s-e-v-e-n-t-e-e-n) more than the cheaper 3rd party ones (70 Euro
vs. 4 Euro). So, it's ok if the cheaper battery has a bit less capacity
- just buy two 3rd party batteries.

I payed 8 Euro for a total capacity of 1821 mAh and would have payed 70
Euro for a capacity of 1299 mAh.

Unfortunately there is no way to know which seller has "good" and which
one has "bad" batteries. Both batteries I bought were from the same
seller, and they look exactly like the Olympus original. They don't have
a separate brand.

In case you are interested, I bought the batteries from the seller with
user-id "goods_keeper" and payed $17.97 for two batteries including
shipping. Overall I got good value considering what I payed.

For those who are interested the test is he
http://myolympus.org/8080/blm1/
--

Alfred Molon

Old November 18th 04, 09:10 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , Sabineellen
says...

Also, are those non-oem batteries safe or should i just pay a little extra and
get the original fujifilm battery?

The ones I bought are safe. I've been using them since August with no
problems.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 18th 04, 04:44 PM
Sabineellen

The ones I bought are safe. I've been using them since August with no
problems.
--

who did you buy from? especially that longer lasting one
Old November 18th 04, 07:02 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Sabineellen
says...

who did you buy from? especially that longer lasting one

Both from the same ebay seller - "goods_keeper".
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 18th 04, 07:26 PM
Sabineellen

who did you buy from? especially that longer lasting one

Both from the same ebay seller - "goods_keeper".
--

when you tested them, were they the same age?
Old November 18th 04, 09:42 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Sabineellen
says...

who did you buy from? especially that longer lasting one

Both from the same ebay seller - "goods_keeper".
--

when you tested them, were they the same age?

Yep, I bought both of them in August this year. They are actually quite
new - I haven't used them much.
--

Alfred Molon