Rant about the term "ZLR"

Old December 3rd 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Rant about the term "ZLR"

We should do away with the term "ZLR".

In language, theory follows practice. Meaning is defined by usage
and understanding, even when logic dictates otherwise.

We express aperture by F-number; unfortunately, as aperture increases,
F-number decreases. Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive. "Thoroughbred" is a
breed of horse, not a description of purity of breed. Compulsive
workers are "workaholics", even though there is no such thing as
"workahol".

Lamentable as the above terminology may be, any opportunity to fix it
has passed. The pioneers of optics and particle physics have won
immortal recognition, as they deserved. Those who coined and adopted
the term "workaholic" were not slapped silly -- as they deserved.

The past is fixed, and we are far too few to alter established usage.
The best we can do is to avoid making matters worse. Let's not adopt
terms that are counter-intuitive, technically wrong, and, well, stupid.
That's where "ZLR" comes in.

"ZLR" literally stands for "zoom lens reflex". Despite its literal
meaning, people use it to to mean cameras with electronic viewfinders.
(Sometimes they also assume "ZLR" means a fixed lens. It's not clear
whether they are deliberately considering only current fixed-lens
cameras, or whether they merely lack the wit to think further.)
The term is counter-intuitive, technically wrong, and stupid. It
has not yet entered common usage, so there is still time to correct
this error.

I have bought exactly two digital cameras (for within a few pennies
of the same price): A Sony F-707, and a Canon Digital Rebel with kit
lens. Both fit the "ZL" in "ZLR" by having a zoom lens. The Canon
Digital Rebel had "reflex"; the Sony F-707 did not. Thus the Canon
was a 'zoom lens reflex', while the Sony was not. So utterly stupid
is the proposed meaning of "ZLR" that my Sony F-707 would be a "ZLR",
and my Canon Digital Rebel would not. Why should we fabricate and
adopt terminology that is so contrary to fact?

So let's say what is right. When we mean "through the lens", let's
say so; "TTL" works. If we mean an electronic viewfinder, then "EVF"
is perfectly clear. A fixed lens is a non-interchangeable lens, and
let's say one of those, even if there isn't an established
abbreviation. This term "ZLR" is crap to be flushed.

--
--Bryan
Old December 3rd 05, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

"Bryan Olson" wrote in message
. net...
We should do away with the term "ZLR".

In language, theory follows practice. Meaning is defined by usage
and understanding, even when logic dictates otherwise.

We express aperture by F-number; unfortunately, as aperture increases,
F-number decreases.

Because the "F-number" is the denominator of the fraction that describes the
aperture size in relation to the focal length. It makes perfect sense that
the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture. Like gauge of shotgun or
wire. A 12 gauge shotgun has a bigger chamber and barrel than a 20 gauge.
Why does logic dictate otherwise?

Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive.

Why does logic dictate that electrons move in the opposite direction? All
other thing being equal, wouldn't there be fewer electrons in the place from
which the electrons are coming than in the place to which they are going?
An East wind blows to the West, is that also problematic?

"Thoroughbred" is a
breed of horse, not a description of purity of breed.

Right. "Purebred" is a description of purity of breed.

Compulsive
workers are "workaholics", even though there is no such thing as
"workahol".

OK, you got me on that one.

Lamentable as the above terminology may be, any opportunity to fix it
has passed. The pioneers of optics and particle physics have won
immortal recognition, as they deserved. Those who coined and adopted
the term "workaholic" were not slapped silly -- as they deserved.

The English language changes. It is very flexible and adaptive and that is
one reason IMHO that it is such a great language. Usage is just a form of
continuous democratic reform of the language. Words are invented and used if
the practitioners of the language find them useful. When words are no longer
useful, they are retired. You might not like the term "workaholic" (I really
don't either) but it is very descriptive and when used, most instantly
recognize what it means. Anyone could toss out a made up term like
"photograpoholic" and if used in an analogous fashion to "workaholic" there
would be little question as to what the writer or speaker means. Some words
are ugly but are good communication tools nonetheless.

The past is fixed, and we are far too few to alter established usage.
The best we can do is to avoid making matters worse. Let's not adopt
terms that are counter-intuitive, technically wrong, and, well, stupid.

This I agree with this. Some made up words and phrases are just silly. Like
"chicken fried chicken."

[snipped]

So let's say what is right. When we mean "through the lens", let's
say so; "TTL" works. If we mean an electronic viewfinder, then "EVF"
is perfectly clear. A fixed lens is a non-interchangeable lens, and
let's say one of those, even if there isn't an established
abbreviation. This term "ZLR" is crap to be flushed.

Amen.

Eric Miller

Old December 3rd 05, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

[...]

You certainly have a lot of things to worry about, don't you?

Old December 3rd 05, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Bryan Olson wrote:

We should do away with the term "ZLR".

No argument there...

In language, theory follows practice. Meaning is defined by usage
and understanding, even when logic dictates otherwise.

Welcome to English 101.

We express aperture by F-number; unfortunately, as aperture increases,
F-number decreases.

The F-number is a mathematical formula, or more properly, the ratio of
the lens's focal length to the diameter of the aperture... that's why
the setting is expressed as "f-slash" or "f over" a number, such as
f/16. Thus as the aperture size increases, the necessary divisor decreases.

This is actually very fortunate, because it gives us a standard,
universal way to describe how much light any lens will pass: F/16 on a
300mm lens will be a bigger opening than on a 30mm lens, yet both let
the same amount of light through.

See http://www.answers.com/topic/f-number

Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive.

That's a function of physics, not language. And what part of the
designations is attributable to language goes back to the Latin. Can't
blame this one on English or marketing.

"ZLR" literally stands for "zoom lens reflex".

I've also seen it described as "zero lens reflex". Which is closer in a
way, since the acronym is also applied to non-zoom cameras. It's also
more appropriate because it describes cameras that have zero reflex
action...

The term is counter-intuitive, technically wrong, and stupid.

That's marketing for ya. Sounds more to me like the acronym was
invented first, and then the term was coined to fit it.

So let's say what is right. When we mean "through the lens", let's
say so; "TTL" works. If we mean an electronic viewfinder, then "EVF"
is perfectly clear. A fixed lens is a non-interchangeable lens, and
let's say one of those, even if there isn't an established
abbreviation. This term "ZLR" is crap to be flushed.

"EVF" doesn't have the panache as "ZLR", and unfortuantely, marketing
geeks are all about panache. Personally, I prefer the good ol' P&S
(point-and-shoot) designation... also "PHd" (press here, dummy).
Although that could just as easily refer to most AF SLRs set to their
"full-auto" modes.

TTL, BTW, is more commonly used to describe metering methods used in
SLRs... and just to add to the confusion, it also stands for
"transistor-transistor logic", a common type of digital logic technology
(talk about logic dictating usage!)

It's a good rant, but it kinda loses something when your opening
examples are so far off-base...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
Tested on: 12/2/2005 8:13:03 PM

Old December 3rd 05, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

millereric wrote:

"Bryan Olson" wrote in message

snip

Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive.

Why does logic dictate that electrons move in the opposite direction? All
other thing being equal, wouldn't there be fewer electrons in the place from
which the electrons are coming than in the place to which they are going?
An East wind blows to the West, is that also problematic?

Logic doesn't dictate electron movement. Electrons do flow from
negative to positive, i.e. the negative terminal of a power source
supplies electrons that flow around the circuitry and return to the
positive terminal.

There are a number of ways to prove this; the easiest is to consider a
vacuum tube. The heated cathode is the supplier of electrons, and the
charge on the anode draws them across the vacuum (controlled by
intermediate electrodes called grids and/or screens). The cathode is
connected to the negative side of the power supply, and the anode to the
positive, so electrons flow from negative to positive.

Colin D.
Old December 3rd 05, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

"millereric" wrote:
This I agree with this. Some made up words and phrases are just silly.

Like
"chicken fried chicken."

"Hot Water Heater"

Jon

Old December 3rd 05, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Colin D wrote:

millereric wrote:

"Bryan Olson" wrote in message

snip

Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive.

Why does logic dictate that electrons move in the opposite direction? All
other thing being equal, wouldn't there be fewer electrons in the place from
which the electrons are coming than in the place to which they are going?
An East wind blows to the West, is that also problematic?

Logic doesn't dictate electron movement. Electrons do flow from
negative to positive, i.e. the negative terminal of a power source
supplies electrons that flow around the circuitry and return to the
positive terminal.

The reason that electrons flow from the negative to the positive around
an electrical circuit is because the natural philosophers (later known
as physicists) that were studying a few hundreds of years ago thought
electricty was a movement of positively charged "things" that flowed to
make current.
They were wrong, as it was electrons (negatively charged) and not
positively charge "corpulses" carrying the electrical energy around a
circuit and unfortunately, the convention of positive and negative has
forever been set incorrectly, but as a convention it is useful for most
applications (except maybe electroplating or vacuum tube design).

The term "ZLR" is one that I had not heard until a couple of years ago
and seems pretty stupid to my way of thinking.
Aparrently the cameras that are being described by ZLR shouldn't even
have the "R" part, because they do not have a mirror to reflect the
image onto a viewing screen (usually ground/etched glass).
A more accurate description would be "ZLEVF camera".
Alternatively, just use the term "prosumer digicam", as most of the
fixed lens EVF digicam are in the upper price range and have most of
the features of a DSLR, but have a fixed lens and rely on a EVF for
composition and (attempted) manual focus.

Just my 2c.

Old December 3rd 05, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Colin D wrote:

millereric wrote:

[...]

What fun! All you guys explaining physics are missing the point.
Of course, physicists know that the charge on an electron is negative
and electrons flow from the negative to positive terminals of a
power source. But, any dufus can tell you that things naturally flow
from where there's more (+) to where there's less (-). And there are
a lot more dufuses than physicists in the world.

Think Bill Cosby asking, "Why is there air?", while holding a volleyball
in his hand. He understands what air is. The point of the question is
to draw attention to what's funny. (Without air, volleyballs would be
flat!) It's funny (as in strange) that electricity flows from negative
to positive. People who start explaining about cathodes and anodes
aren't getting the joke. Language is full of oddities that have
perfectly reasonable explanations and are still strange when you stop
and think about them.

Sometimes, a little right-brain playfulness is good even for a
hard-core, left-brain physicist, right? :-)

To get back on subject, I could do without the term "ZLR". It doesn't
bother me, but it does bother a lot of people. How 'bout "fixed zoom",
"fun zoom", "almost a dSLR", or insert your idea here.

Paul Allen
Old December 3rd 05, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:44:41 -0600, millereric wrote:

Compulsive workers are "workaholics", even though there is
no such thing as "workahol".

OK, you got me on that one.

Shouldn't. "aholic" started as a suffix to describe the alky
that's addicted to the stuff. Even though it's kinda stupid to
append "aholic" to those addicted to "work", we do it because people
"get" the connection, and what it's trying to convey. Same thing
with "gate" being appended to all sorts of scandals that have
nothing to do with the Watergate Hotel. People hear the word "gate"
and "get" the connection to a "scandal" of some sort. KoreaGate,
MonicaGate, PlameGate, etc.

The English language changes. It is very flexible and adaptive and that is
one reason IMHO that it is such a great language. Usage is just a form of
continuous democratic reform of the language. Words are invented and
used if the practitioners of the language find them useful. When words
are no longer useful, they are retired. You might not like the term
"workaholic" (I really don't either) but it is very descriptive and when used,
most instantly recognize what it means. Anyone could toss out a made up
term like "photograpoholic" and if used in an analogous fashion to
"workaholic" there would be little question as to what the writer or speaker
means. Some words are ugly but are good communication tools nonetheless.

Hey! You did get it!!! But "photograpoholic"? No way. Way
too long. Snapaholoc, maybe.

Some made up words and phrases are just silly. Like "chicken fried chicken."

Maybe that's why I never heard of it until now. But I've heard of
"chicken fried steak" many times. Do people really talk of "chicken
fried chicken"? How does it differ from fried chicken?

So let's say what is right. When we mean "through the lens", let's
say so; "TTL" works. If we mean an electronic viewfinder, then "EVF"
is perfectly clear. A fixed lens is a non-interchangeable lens, and
let's say one of those, even if there isn't an established
abbreviation. This term "ZLR" is crap to be flushed.

Amen.

Pray tell, what is so clear about a "fixed lens"? Some might
think it refers to a fixed (non-zoom) focal length lens. Many
photographers call them "primes", but that term irks others. Come
to think of it, fixed focus, or non-focusing cameras were followed
by "rangefinders". Not the most apt term, but I guess most people
knew what it meant from associations with gunners dialing in the
range or elevation before firing the shot. But the SLRs that
followed didn't exactly do away with focusing, so why weren't they
called SLR Rangefinders? We're fortunate to have advanced beyond
pinhole cameras, otherwise we'd risk being called "pinheads".

Old December 3rd 05, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Bryan Olson wrote:

TTL, BTW, is more commonly used to describe metering methods used in
SLRs... and just to add to the confusion, it also stands for
"transistor-transistor logic", a common type of digital logic technology
(talk about logic dictating usage!)

Caused me some amusement first time I took a digital electronics course.
Teacher has spent two classes talking about AND and OR gates, so I put up my
hand, and said, "Ok. I get everything you've been teaching us so far, but
wht the heck does any of it have to do with lenses?"

Got some snickers from the class, but most people didn't get it.