ColorVision Spyder 2 questions...

Old November 4th 05, 10:31 PM
Rob B

Default ColorVision Spyder 2 questions...

Hi Guys,
I've just invested in the 'Spyder 2' monitor profiling kit from
ColorVision. The procedure seems fairly straightforward, however, I have a
question to ask if I may.

* What luminance value should I be aiming for?
( I am setting the whitepoint using the RGB sliders. Once the whitepoint is
set, I can, of course, move all three sliders up or down and change the
luminance whilst keeping the chosen whitepoint).

These are the parameters used to make my profile:

LCD Monitor
6500K
2.2 Gamma
Luminance ended up at 122 cd/m^2.

Many thanks in anticipation... Rob

Old November 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Bill Hilton

I've just invested in the 'Spyder 2' monitor profiling kit from
ColorVision ... * What luminance value should I be aiming
for? ... Luminance ended up at 122 cd/m^2.

I have the older model Spyder and the software sez 85-95 is the target
luminance range. I usually get pretty close to 90. Surprised the
newer model doesn't give you an explicit number for a target or at
least a range.

Bill

Old November 4th 05, 11:46 PM
Bill Hilton

I've just invested in the 'Spyder 2' monitor profiling kit from
ColorVision ... * What luminance value should I be aiming
for? ... Luminance ended up at 122 cd/m^2.

Rob, here's a link that's a couple years old now but discusses
calibration with OptiCal and PhotoCal, with a screen dump at the top of
the page showing the suggested luminance values ... you can probably
find something similar for the Spyder 2 on Ian's site, if he's still
keeping it updated.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/pho...photocal_2.htm

Bill

Old November 5th 05, 02:21 PM
Rob B

Hi Bill... Thanks for your prompt reply...

I'm still new to the art of profiling and may very well have missed the
values of 85-95. I will look closer. Thanks also for the web link; very
useful... Meanwhile could you possibly comment on the following points...

* The screen looks 'darkish' at a luminance value of 90... is this OK?

* What are the consequences of choosing a much higher value, say, around
150?

* Does the luminance level affect the gamma significantly, or the ability in
any way to match screen colours with print colours in a managed workflow?

* When I set the LCD monitor to the factory defaults, as requested by the
instructions, the RGB
sliders go to 100%. If I then continue to calibrate the whitepoint at this
initial high RGB value, the resulting luminance ends up at about 190. To get
close to a final luminance value of 90, I would have to reduce all three RGB
sliders to an initial value of around 65, before calibrating the whitepoint.
Is this practice correct?

(I'm aiming towards a colour managed workflow that will give me prints that
look much like the
image I see on screen. Profiling the monitor is, obviously, my first step in
achieving this).

Many thanks for your help... Rob

oups.com...