Omega D5 mixing chamber problem.

Old September 26th 04, 12:57 AM
jjs

Default Omega D5 mixing chamber problem.

Omega D5. 4x5. 150mm Zeiss lens. Light drops off on one corner, upper left
as the image appears on easel. I've moved the mixing chamber as much as it
can move. Alignment is very close.

I have a MF mixing chamber for the same enlarger. It has a cutout for the MF
formats. Can I just replace that cutout with the LF cutout and maybe make a
difference? Sure, I'd try it first, but mucking with two mixing chambers and
possibly ruining both.. well, I thought I'd ask first.

(Oh God, why didn't Leitz make a LF condenser enlarger?)

Old September 26th 04, 03:11 AM
Gregory Blank

Is the fall off during use of the DD mix chamber when printing
4x5 negatives using that lens ?

Or is the problem using some other format with 4x5 DD mix chamber?

You know of course about that bellows lock lever that allows you
to adjust the bellows draw? maybe you need to compress the bellows
a little more around the 6" that the lens focuses at.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 26th 04, 06:32 AM
jjs

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
Is the fall off during use of the DD mix chamber when printing
4x5 negatives using that lens ?

Yes, when printing 4x5 with a 150mm Schneider Componon.

You know of course about that bellows lock lever that allows you
to adjust the bellows draw?

Certainly.

Old September 26th 04, 12:35 PM
Nick Zentena

jjs wrote:
Omega D5. 4x5. 150mm Zeiss lens. Light drops off on one corner, upper left
as the image appears on easel. I've moved the mixing chamber as much as it
can move. Alignment is very close.

I have a MF mixing chamber for the same enlarger. It has a cutout for the MF
formats. Can I just replace that cutout with the LF cutout and maybe make a
difference? Sure, I'd try it first, but mucking with two mixing chambers and
possibly ruining both.. well, I thought I'd ask first.

I thought the smaller light boxes are for getting the light to cover a
smaller area?

Nick
Old September 26th 04, 04:15 PM
wheat

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
jjs wrote:
I have a MF mixing chamber for the same enlarger. It has a cutout for the
MF
formats. Can I just replace that cutout with the LF cutout and maybe make
difference? Sure, I'd try it first, but mucking with two mixing chambers
and
possibly ruining both.. well, I thought I'd ask first.

I thought the smaller light boxes are for getting the light to cover a
smaller area?

It appears from the outside that the only difference is the opening at the
bottom of the mixing chamber, over the carrier. However, I am probably
wrong. The way things have gone lately, I'd bet that I am wrong. Tonight I
will make another effort.

Old September 26th 04, 04:19 PM
Gregory Blank

Actually to compensate for the light loss typical of a
smaller negative carrier opening.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 26th 04, 06:05 PM
jjs

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
Actually to compensate for the light loss typical of a
smaller negative carrier opening.

FYI - I disassembled the 2.25" x 2.75" D5 mixing chamber. Yes, it covers
only 2.75" square. Interesting box. It is made simply of five pieces of
flyweight white styrofoam and translucent plastic on the negative side.
Light enters at the side through a short square mirror-sided corridor. That
makes for really diffuse, cold illumination.