100 megapixel DSLR/mirrorless would be good

Old April 6th 12, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

Default 100 megapixel DSLR/mirrorless would be good

On 04/04/2012 20:52, RichA wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:02 pm, wrote:
wrote:
In fact, like I said years ago, Nikon (or someone) should
consider an increase in size of the FF sensor for a flagship camera.
They'll need something that betters the D800. The camera wouldn't be
for sports, or low-light (unless exposures were long), just for studio
and landscape-type work, daylight shots of extreme resolution.

That camera already exists. It is the Leica S2.http://s.leica-camera.com/

Yes, it's nice, but about 3x more costly than it needs to be. $2000
for a sapphire LCD cover? Less ostentation, more pixels.

Sapphire glass looks just like Silica glass, but is apparently 5 times
tougher and allegedly one needs a diamond to scratch it. Nice to have if
you can afford it.

Personally I'd prefer to get my sapphire glass in the form of a Swiss
watch... ;-)

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old April 7th 12, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-07 10:39:43 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

In article ceca2833-6efd-41fc-941d-
, RichA says...

Well, there's always Gorilla Glass the Corning product they use on
iPads. The one good thing Apple has done was to convince Corning to
restart making the 1960's stuff for them.

Strange, because the iphone does not use Gorilla glass, while the
Samsung Galaxy S2 does.

Even stranger.
Corning only lists the 1st generation iPhone as an Apple device using
"Gorilla Glass". No other iPhones, or iPods, and no iPads.
I guess Rich failed on fact checking once more.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/p...-products-list
p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass

....er http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Gorilla_Glass

BTW: Jobs did negotiate with Corning to resume Gorilla Glass production
for the iPhone 1. However when Corning was not able to meet Apple's
demands when it came to production for the iPhone 4 and the iPad, Apple
moved to LTI which along with its coating technology produces durable
military grade glass for use in helicopters, and could meet Apple's
production demands.

Need I say LTI is a Chinese company.

Savageduck

Old April 7th 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-07 10:57:07 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-04-07 10:39:43 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

[...]

See my other comment. Could it be LTI's glass is for the body (back)
and Corning's for the display? Could LTI be making GG under license?

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 7th 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-07 11:32:13 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-04-07 10:52:58 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-04-07 13:39 , Alfred Molon wrote:
In articlececa2833-6efd-41fc-941d-
, RichA says...

Well, there's always Gorilla Glass the Corning product they use on
iPads. The one good thing Apple has done was to convince Corning to
restart making the 1960's stuff for them.

Strange, because the iphone does not use Gorilla glass,

Sure does.

Only the 1st generation iPhone have been confirmed as using Gorilla
Glass. Well actually all the versions prior to the iPhone 4 are said to
have used some form of Corning glass.

For the iPhone 4 & 4S Apple uses Lens Technology International to
manufacture their aluminosilicate glass. It is not confirmed by Apple or
LTI, but they are also rumored to supply the faces of the iPad.

See:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/02/apple-...-for-iphone-5/

The

continuing saga of Apple suppliers. Personally I just want to know they
are using materials and sources which prove to be reliable.
....and it is a distinct possibility that LTI is producing Gorilla Glass
under license. It would make sense for Corning to move production off
shore to the Asian production centers.

All very interesting.

Savageduck