Spot tone suggestions

Old October 31st 04, 09:00 PM
Phil Glaser

Default Spot tone suggestions

Hi,

I need to do some spot touch up on a print and am considering buying a
"Spotpen" retouching set
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=92544&is=REG)

I have two questions about this product. First, at B&G and Adorama it
appears to be available only in Warmtone and Cooltone. I'm using
neutral tone paper. Is either of these sets going to give staisfactory
results with neutral tone paper?

Second, this seems like a rather pricey acquistion. Does anyone have
suggestions for something cheaper that would work as an all around
retouching solution? I see that B&H also sells individual bottles of
retouching dye in various colors, but I'm not sure which one would be
good for general purpose retouching.

Thanks.

--Phil
Old November 1st 04, 01:50 AM
Louie Powell

(Phil Glaser) wrote in
om:

I need to do some spot touch up on a print and am considering buying a
"Spotpen" retouching set

I have two questions about this product. First, at B&G and Adorama it
appears to be available only in Warmtone and Cooltone. I'm using
neutral tone paper. Is either of these sets going to give staisfactory
results with neutral tone paper?

Second, this seems like a rather pricey acquistion. Does anyone have
suggestions for something cheaper that would work as an all around
retouching solution? I see that B&H also sells individual bottles of
retouching dye in various colors, but I'm not sure which one would be
good for general purpose retouching.

Phil -

Unless you have some very serious defects in the print, the objective of
spotting is to reduce local contrast, and the fact that the color doesn't
match the tone of the image won't matter all that much. On the other
hand, if you have large areas that require retouching, especially if you
are going to be airbrushing the corrections, then you need to match
exactly.

I agree with your concern about the cost of SpotPens. Frankly, I think
that's another example of rape and pillage pricing in exchange for the
appearance of convenience. And I would be concerned that SpotPens would
have a tendency to dry out over time, leading to limited life expectancy
(assured obsolencence is another popular marketing tool!).

I prefer the original SpotTone dye (or Marshall's now that SpotTone is no
longer being made), and a fine brush. I bought the full set of SpotTone
dyes about 25 years ago, for less that the cost of SpotPens, and at the
rate it's disappearing, I'll be wearing a toe tag before I need to buy
more.

Louie
Old November 1st 04, 01:35 PM
Phil Glaser

Louie Powell wrote in message 67...

I prefer the original SpotTone dye (or Marshall's now that SpotTone is no
longer being made), and a fine brush. I bought the full set of SpotTone
dyes about 25 years ago, for less that the cost of SpotPens, and at the
rate it's disappearing, I'll be wearing a toe tag before I need to buy
more.

This also answers one of my points of confusion -- Marshall was
everywhere but SpotTone was not.

Part of my problem was not finding the right category on B&H's
website. I missed the Marshall retouching dye _kits_ initially, but
here they a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...783_REG=&com_8
519_REG=&com_96187_REG=&com_96188_REG=&pn=2
These don't show up under a search for "spot tone" but they do show up
under that retouching category.

There's still a lot to choose from. My inclination is that less is
more and that three dyes for $8.95 is probably a sensible place to
start . . . There's one retouching kit that sells for over $50.

Thanks!

--Phil