A question about Efke film

Old December 25th 03, 04:54 AM
JRF

Default A question about Efke film

I'm on the verge of ordering some Efke film. I've been away from the
darkroom for a while, and plan to experiment with film I have never tried
before.

I've known of, but never tried, the Efke KB25, but I'm really curious about
the gigabitfilm. I read that it comes with its own developer, which makes
it even more intriguing. It's described as very fine grained.

Anyone have any experience with these films? Can you compare the grain
characteristics?

TIA

Bob in Las Vegas

Old December 25th 03, 03:16 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article kbtGb.22434$J77.10685@fed1read07, "JRF"
wrote: I'm on the verge of ordering some Efke film. I've been away from the
darkroom for a while, and plan to experiment with film I have never tried
before. I've known of, but never tried, the Efke KB25, but I'm really curious about
the gigabitfilm. I read that it comes with its own developer, which makes
it even more intriguing. It's described as very fine grained.
Anyone have any experience with these films? Can you compare the grain
characteristics?
TIA Bob in Las Vegas

I tested and wrote about Efke 25 for View camera Magazine this last March/April issue,
I found it to be very fine grained 4x5 sheet, I processed the film in HC110B, D23, PMK. The film
is typical to slow speed film, shorter dynamic range than say a 400 speed film.
It scans nicely and should be fun to experiment with in smaller format sizes as well.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old December 26th 03, 03:15 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"JRF" wrote in message news:kbtGb.22434$J77.10685@fed1read07...
I'm on the verge of ordering some Efke film. I've been away from the
darkroom for a while, and plan to experiment with film I have never tried
before.

I've known of, but never tried, the Efke KB25, but I'm really curious about
the gigabitfilm. I read that it comes with its own developer, which makes
it even more intriguing. It's described as very fine grained.

Anyone have any experience with these films? Can you compare the grain
characteristics?

TIA

Bob in Las Vegas

I used Adox KB14 decades ago. Although very fine-grained, it was less
sharp than FP4. I would doubt that this has changed.
Old December 27th 03, 11:25 PM
Jeff Novick

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
om...
"JRF" wrote in message

I'm on the verge of ordering some Efke film. I've been away from the
darkroom for a while, and plan to experiment with film I have never

tried
before.

I've known of, but never tried, the Efke KB25, but I'm really curious

about
the gigabitfilm. I read that it comes with its own developer, which

makes
it even more intriguing. It's described as very fine grained.

Anyone have any experience with these films? Can you compare the grain
characteristics?

TIA

Bob in Las Vegas

I used Adox KB14 decades ago. Although very fine-grained, it was less
sharp than FP4. I would doubt that this has changed.

It's true that it is less sharp, but, it is sharp enough. And, the lovely
tonal range that can be gotten is an added benefit to its use as well as
extremely fine grain.

Old December 28th 03, 03:42 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"JRF" wrote in message

[...]

I eventually gave up on it and used other materials. FP4 in Acutol is
far sharper and actually has better tonal qualities.