Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

Old September 15th 17, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

Default Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:02:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

Why do single and double quotes in PowerPoint always show up as funny
characters in Usenet?

Why are you using PowerPoint as a Usenet client?

My mistake for not being clear.

The original document is a PowerPoint document which contained the
summaries on where to get fonts.

In that original PowerPoint 2007 document, I had typed doublequotes (") and
single quotes "'" which I then cut and pasted into the Usenet summary in my
Usenet client.

When I pasted from PowerPoint to my Usenet client, the doublequotes and
single quotes looked "fine" but when I sent it, "something" in that process
of sending the text to the Usenet changed the doublequotes and single
quotes to a cent sign.

Why?
I don't know why.
Do you?
Old September 15th 17, 11:29 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

On 2017-09-15 11:14:48 +0000, Chaya Eve said:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:11:31 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

The latest Win10 ships with a DIN-look-alike font named ¡Bahnschrift¢

Why do single and double quotes in PowerPoint always show up as funny
characters in Usenet?

Because Usenet (and email) is *meant* to be plain text. "Curly quotes"
(and "curly apostrophes") are not part of plain text, so some usenet
newsreader applications do not work with them, which is the correct
approach. Same goes for other non-plain text typographical characters,
such as long dashes and ellipsis.

Some badly made Usenet newsreader applications do work with "curly
quotes", etc., but they're a pain in the backside in proper Usenet
reader applications since the characters come through as strange
characters.

Old September 16th 17, 12:53 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 10:29:05 +1200, Your Name wrote:

Because Usenet (and email) is *meant* to be plain text. "Curly quotes"
(and "curly apostrophes") are not part of plain text, so some usenet
newsreader applications do not work with them, which is the correct
approach. Same goes for other non-plain text typographical characters,
such as long dashes and ellipsis.

Some badly made Usenet newsreader applications do work with "curly
quotes", etc., but they're a pain in the backside in proper Usenet
reader applications since the characters come through as strange
characters.

I didn't know that a "curly quote" is different from a "regular" quote
until Paul's note about PowerPoint automatically substituting "curly
quotes" for regular quotes.

What the heck is the difference between regular and curly to us anyway?
It's a quote for heaven's sake.

What's so horrible about not-curly quotes that PowerPoint has to change
them to "curly" quotes?
Old September 16th 17, 01:04 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Paul[_10_]

wrote:

The latest Win10 ships with a DIN-look-alike font named ¡Bahnschrift¢

Why do single and double quotes in PowerPoint always show up as funny
characters in Usenet?

Because Usenet (and email) is *meant* to be plain text. "Curly quotes"
(and "curly apostrophes") are not part of plain text, so some usenet
newsreader applications do not work with them, which is the correct
approach. Same goes for other non-plain text typographical characters,
such as long dashes and ellipsis.

Some badly made Usenet newsreader applications do work with "curly
quotes", etc., but they're a pain in the backside in proper Usenet
reader applications since the characters come through as strange
characters.

I don't know if I'd call them badly made.

Supporting a curly quote, is no harder than supporting this.

ソーラン渡り鳥 (島津亜矢 +ã€€ç”°å ·å¯¿ç¾Žï¼‰.aac

If your newsreader supports internationalization, you should
be able to see that the way it was intended. Before I added
the font file to my OS, I was seeing squares. Now, I see
Chinese characters followed by four "regular" characters.

https://s2.postimg.org/hax9prms9/no_squares.gif

If I'd done that in xvnews 25 years ago, it would
have "looked like ****". Because all that supported
was plain ASCII.

At one time, some comm trunks used for data, only supported 7 bit
transmission. (The eighth bit was robbed for OOB signalling.)
And email and news worked within those limits. Using 7-bit ASCII
was a natural fit for the misshapen network. Now, however, the
assumption is all the pipes are 8 bit transparent, and multi-byte
characters can be sent, to support symbol sets that have thousands
of characters.

If you're using a really old newsreader, good luck dealing
with the above string.

Modern newsreaders even support character code escapes in things
like the Subject or From line. You can declare UTF-8 long enough,
to put special punctuation in there.

The header in each message, has a directive for character
coding and the like. Many things I've not tested, are
supported.

Paul
Old September 16th 17, 01:10 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul
wrote:

Your Name wrote:
Because Usenet (and email) is *meant* to be plain text. "Curly quotes"
(and "curly apostrophes") are not part of plain text, so some usenet
newsreader applications do not work with them, which is the correct
approach. Same goes for other non-plain text typographical characters,
such as long dashes and ellipsis.

Some badly made Usenet newsreader applications do work with "curly
quotes", etc., but they're a pain in the backside in proper Usenet
reader applications since the characters come through as strange
characters.

I don't know if I'd call them badly made.

newsreaders that handle text encodings are actually well made.

what he wrote is bull****.
Old September 16th 17, 01:10 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Chaya Eve
wrote:

What's so horrible about not-curly quotes that PowerPoint has to change
them to "curly" quotes?

go learn something about typography.
Old September 16th 17, 02:24 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/15/2017 07:53 PM, Chaya Eve wrote:
[...]

Pick up a quality book from your book shelf, and look for a quote. (I
just happened to pick up Rick Meyerowitz's "Drunk Stoned Brilliant
Dead") At the beginning of the quote, the the double quotes have the dot
at the bottom and the curly going up. At the end of the quote, the dot
is at the top, and the curly goes down.

I don't know that this is a constant, but I picked up a second book
(Maroon & Wicker's "The Nixon Years"), and it was the same in that book.
A sample of two in this case is sufficient for me.

--
Ken Hart

Old September 16th 17, 04:12 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

wrote:

The latest Win10 ships with a DIN-look-alike font named ¡Bahnschrift¢

Why do single and double quotes in PowerPoint always show up as funny
characters in Usenet?

Because Usenet (and email) is *meant* to be plain text. "Curly quotes"
(and "curly apostrophes") are not part of plain text, so some usenet
newsreader applications do not work with them, which is the correct
approach. Same goes for other non-plain text typographical characters,
such as long dashes and ellipsis.

Some badly made Usenet newsreader applications do work with "curly
quotes", etc., but they're a pain in the backside in proper Usenet
reader applications since the characters come through as strange
characters.

I don't know if I'd call them badly made.

snip

Usenet and email are meant to be plain text. Any app that ignores that
standard is badly made because it isn't sticking to the established
rules.

It's teh same issue that madea complete mess of website creatiojn wehn
Microsloth decided to ignore the established ruels and do things their
own way in Internt Exploiter (another badly made app). :-(

Old September 16th 17, 04:28 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

On 2017-09-16 01:24:39 +0000, Ken Hart said:

[...]

Yep, the "curly quote" is the proper way of doing it in publishing and
should be in handwriting. The rule that used to be taught in schools
was something like "66 and 99" around the quote because the start quote
curls up and looks (sort-of) like tyhe number 66 while the end quote
curls down and looks (sort-of) like the number 99.

The straight quote was most likely brought in with the typewriter to
save an extra key and the laziness / speed of the typist only needing
to use one key. That followed through to early computers. These days
most writing and desktop publishing apps will convert straight quotes
to curly quotes (based on whether there's a space before or after
them), although there's usually an option to turn that off if you want.

The apostrophe in words like it's should also be curly (curling
downwards) in proper publishing and there's a corressponding updward
curly apostrophe for when using them as single quote marks.

There are other typographical characters too. The ellipsis, for
example, is usually typed as three fullstops (...) because that's what
the typewriter and computer keyboard has, but in reality it's meant to
be three dots that are closer together and apps like Word will
automaticaly replace three consequetive fullstops with the correct
character. It will also replace a hypen / minus sign used in the middle
of a sentence - like this for example - with a longer hyphen (called
either em dash or en dash, depending on its length).

There are also some character combinations that often replaced by a
single character because it looks better. the word "flood", for
example" may have the f and l characters replaced by a single "fl"
character.

Old September 16th 17, 04:29 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Your Name
wrote:

Some badly made Usenet newsreader applications do work with "curly
quotes", etc., but they're a pain in the backside in proper Usenet
reader applications since the characters come through as strange
characters.

I don't know if I'd call them badly made.

snip

Usenet and email are meant to be plain text. Any app that ignores that
standard is badly made because it isn't sticking to the established
rules.

curly quotes are plain text.

It's teh same issue that madea complete mess of website creatiojn wehn
Microsloth decided to ignore the established ruels and do things their
own way in Internt Exploiter (another badly made app). :-(

no it's not the same issue. not even close to the same issue.