Laughable Apple watch ads: Urban millenial D.B's that only ever see LARGE buttons on the watch

Old May 31st 15, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Laughable Apple watch ads: Urban millenial D.B's that only ever see LARGE buttons on the watch

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Then followed smaller phones, flip phones, and other phones. Each new
phone had a better battery, but it was cheaper to get a new phone than
to buy a replacement battery. Each phone was smaller.

that's why an internal battery doesn't matter. people replace the
entire phone.

Of course they matter. Replacing the entire phone is not cheap.

it is when it's subsidized by the carrier, as little as $0, and for
flip/candybar phones, it was usually cheaper than a replacement
battery.

Replacing the phone by obtaining a new phone by extending the contract
is not always desirable.

few people do that, but there are cheap phones without a contract for
those who do.

Reasonably priced and replaceable batteries would be beneficial to the
user, but not beneficial to the maker of the phone or the phone
service provider.

it turns out that very few people bought them, including you.

companies don't generally make things that don't sell well.
Old May 31st 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Then followed smaller phones, flip phones, and other phones. Each new
phone had a better battery, but it was cheaper to get a new phone than
to buy a replacement battery. Each phone was smaller.

that's why an internal battery doesn't matter. people replace the
entire phone.

Of course they matter. Replacing the entire phone is not cheap.

it is when it's subsidized by the carrier, as little as $0, and for
flip/candybar phones, it was usually cheaper than a replacement
battery.

The only way available to have it subsidized was to extend the
contract when phones had short-life batteries.

battery life is independent of any contract.

many flip phones went a week or more on standby.

smartphones don't have as good battery life, but they do a lot more.

At the time it
mattered to me, there were limited providers of mobile phones, so I
was pretty much stuck with extending the contract.

nonsense. there were numerous cellphone manufacturers and models back
then. even now there is a huge selection, ranging from free to rather
spendy, for both feature or smart. no matter what you wanted, then or
now, you could either buy it outright or get it subsidized.

Extending the contract is not my definition of zero cost.

obviously the phone's cost is included in the monthly fees, but the
point is that if someone is paying for service and the carrier gives
them a new phone for no additional cost simply by adding a year or two
to the contract, then to them it's zero cost. they were going to pay
the same monthly fee *anyway*, whether they upgraded their phone or
not, so they might as well get a new phone for the same fees they were
paying all along.

also keep in mind that the monthly fees don't go down at the end of the
contract, so if you *don't* get a new phone, you're paying for
something that's already been paid off and if you bring your own phone,
you're paying a subsidy for a phone you didn't get.

in other words, if you *didn't* get a new phone, you're wasting money.

recently, some carriers are splitting out the phone's price from the
monthly fees, namely t-mobile, so that when the phone is fully paid
off, the total monthly fees go down. if they buy the phone outright or
bring their own phone, they only pay the monthly service fees.

Reasonably priced and replaceable batteries would be beneficial to the
user, but not beneficial to the maker of the phone or the phone
service provider.

it turns out that very few people bought them, including you.

companies don't generally make things that don't sell well.

Yeah, right. That's why there are so few online sources for camera
batteries that aren't from the camera's maker.

this is about phones, not cameras. you're once again moving the
goalposts.

the trend is for internal batteries, not swappable ones, because few
people actually get a spare battery when the runtime of the built in
one is excellent.

with cameras getting 1000-2000 photos per charge, why would anyone need
a second battery?

samsung used to tout having a swappable battery versus the iphone's
internal battery, but now they switched to an internal one because they
realized that so few people actually swapped it. most ultrabooks have
had internal batteries for a while and some cameras even have internal
batteries.

Oh, wait...

i've been waiting for you to stick to the topic for years.
Old June 1st 15, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 5/31/15 1:32 PM, in article , "PeterN"
wrote:

On 5/31/2015 1:24 PM, George Kerby wrote:

On 5/30/15 7:44 PM, in article
, "PeterN"
wrote:

On 5/30/2015 8:38 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

It is my understanding that the Apple Watch is fully operative only
when
used with a nearby i-phone.

currently, yes, and android wear watches require an android phone.

so what?

the first cellular phone required a car. it was large and had to be
installed in the trunk. over the years it got smaller and more capable.

Nope. I had that. It was an anolog, not cellular phone. I had a portable
version that was about the size of a WWII walkie talkie.

that doesn't change anything.

the point is that technology advances and although smar****ches need a
smartphone now, they won't in the future.

you're actually agreeing with me.

If you are right, you are right. The fact is that cell phones did not
require a car.

initially they did.

Proof?

I have no physical proof today, but in my 1984 Suburban I installed ~1986-7
a Motorola Cell phone. It consisted of a chorded receiver that sat upon a
stand on the floorboard right of the driver on the "hump" in the middle.
That unit was physically attached to another "box" about the size of a LA
Yellow Pages of a similar time. And the antenna was permanently affixed to
the roof of the vehicle. That was a TRUE "Car Cell phone" - because it would
not work if removed. Also, the Lease was for three years at a thousand a
year, but I needed it, in my line of work at the time.

I had one, but it was analog, not cellular.
Don't confuse cellular with portable.

This WAS cellular. Tower handoff and all. Lots of dropped and bad areas in
the early years.

Old June 1st 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 5/31/15 2:04 PM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have no physical proof today, but in my 1984 Suburban I installed ~1986-7
a Motorola Cell phone. It consisted of a chorded receiver that sat upon a
stand on the floorboard right of the driver on the "hump" in the middle.
That unit was physically attached to another "box" about the size of a LA
Yellow Pages of a similar time. And the antenna was permanently affixed to
the roof of the vehicle. That was a TRUE "Car Cell phone" - because it would
not work if removed. Also, the Lease was for three years at a thousand a
year, but I needed it, in my line of work at the time.

I had one, but it was analog, not cellular.

you're very confused.

what you had then was an analog cellular mobile phone. what you have
now is a digital cellular mobile phone.

cellular defines the arrangement of radio towers and can be analog or
digital.

analog has long been shuttered, but when it was active, cell sites
supported both analog *and* digital standards, as did many phones at
the time.

Don't confuse cellular with portable.

don't confuse analog/digital with cellular/noncellular.

Ditto.

Old June 3rd 15, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 09:54:31 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 6/3/2015 5:50 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

On 5/30/2015 9:59 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mort wrote:

It is my understanding that the Apple Watch is fully operative only when
used with a nearby i-phone.

currently, yes, and android wear watches require an android phone.

so what?

the first cellular phone required a car. it was large and had to be
installed in the trunk. over the years it got smaller and more capable.

Nope. I had that. It was an anolog, not cellular phone. I had a portable
version that was about the size of a WWII walkie talkie.

The first cellular phones were analog. Perhaps you mean something else?

Possibly. If mine was cellular, nobody told me it was. It was just
called a car phone. It had a lot of capability, for the time. I could
call it to start the car, turn on the A/C, or heater, and open the
windows. If the alarm went off, it would not make a sound, but woud dial
a preselected number, and then listen in to the conversation.
(more than once I accidently set it off, and my receptionist let me know
about it.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_phone

Old June 3rd 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

In article , Mort wrote:

[...]

Then maybe it was cellular. All I cared about was that it worked.

--
PeterN
Old June 3rd 15, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

It is my understanding that the Apple Watch is fully operative only when
used with a nearby i-phone.

currently, yes, and android wear watches require an android phone.

so what?

the first cellular phone required a car. it was large and had to be
installed in the trunk. over the years it got smaller and more capable.

Nope. I had that. It was an anolog, not cellular phone. I had a portable
version that was about the size of a WWII walkie talkie.

The first cellular phones were analog. Perhaps you mean something else?

Possibly. If mine was cellular, nobody told me it was.

you're trying to blame someone else for your own ignorance.

It was just
called a car phone.

that's because it was installed in a car.

It had a lot of capability, for the time. I could
call it to start the car, turn on the A/C, or heater, and open the
windows. If the alarm went off, it would not make a sound, but woud dial
a preselected number, and then listen in to the conversation.
(more than once I accidently set it off, and my receptionist let me know
about it.)

which doesn't change that it was cellular.
Old June 3rd 15, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

In article , Mort wrote:

[...]

Depends on when you had it. There were pre-cellular car phones. If it
was after about 1990, it was probably an analog cellular.
Old June 3rd 15, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Then maybe it was cellular. All I cared about was that it worked.

Depends on when you had it. There were pre-cellular car phones. If it
was after about 1990, it was probably an analog cellular.

more like mid-80s.

prior to that ('60s&'70s) was imts, which he almost certainly did not
have.