How would you crop this?

Old November 1st 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
223rem

Default How would you crop this?

http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

Old November 2nd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PitR

223rem wrote:
http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

Depends on what you're trying to show.. I'd get rid of the bottom
foreground.. All that grass is unappealing and unnecessary.. And it
makes the picture boring.

Old November 2nd 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

"223rem" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

Hi!
I suppose, there's a way of doing it. I did try it. But to tell you the
truth, there isn't much interest in that scenery. I did a 4 x 6, but it begs
for a point of interest. As it is, whatever you try, it is a mishmash... I
wonder why you would want to crop this? I would have shelved that photo
myself. Anyway, there's my crack at it ;-)
http://celestart.com/images/publiques/crop.jpg
Marcel

Old November 2nd 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

223rem wrote:
http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

Open the file, Select All | Edit Clear would be the place to start with
that one.
Old November 2nd 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

223rem wrote:
http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

Very little to work with, frankly.

The tree in the middle is a problem...
I cropped it like this, but there really isn't much interest here.

Cropping is a nice option to have, but you've still got to "design" the
scene a bit in terms of the perspective/vantage point you initially choose.

Here's what I'd probably crop it to:
http://upload.pbase.com/image/69564691/original

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 2nd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/69565598

Old November 2nd 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
223rem

Thanks. Not bad at all! As to the reason for taking this shot: I liked
the contrast between the colorful "rural" foreground and the foggy
urban background

Old November 2nd 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

frederick wrote:
223rem wrote:
http://i11.tinypic.com/43785ts.jpg

Open the file, Select All | Edit Clear would be the place to start
with that one.

That's a little more extreme than this, which will get you an
8x10-proportioned print of dubious quality:
http://www.fototime.com/F569F2CA79B83C2/orig.jpg

The photo isn't much good as originally submitted, and I don't see a
way to improve it much, even though there are some potentially
interesting elements. What I see in this butchering is a contrast
between the traditional steeple, whose origin may have been centuries
in the past, and the new and striking bridge-cum-freeway off there in
the haze.

I think a longer lens, a viewpoint moved to the left, and framing that
eliminated the foreground tree and everything other than the steeple
and bridge/road might have had some potential. We might never know.
Ah, well. So many perceptions, so little time to record them.

--
Frank ess
(Do you think the 'e-consonant-e' in their

Old November 2nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

Annika1980 wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/69565598

I think I'm with you on this one. When I looked at it, that's about
what I thought. I think that little pine in the middle has to go to
make it much more interesting.

Old November 2nd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Frank ess wrote:
frederick wrote:
223rem wrote:
[...]

I'm not normally so straight to the point - and don't have a ticket on
my own images. But a dull image taken on a dull day of a dull subject
really doesn't do it for me. I was going to get smart-arsed and suggest
cropping to a single pixel of a colour that I liked, but I couldn't even
find that in the image.

Your crop is an improvement - perhaps it would be better with 3:2 ratio
and a little more to the right of the bridge shown.