Reasonable digie + printer

Old September 1st 04, 11:28 PM
Qaz

Default Reasonable digie + printer

Hello,

I have a brother with twins on the way and no computer at home. I'm
hoping to get him a reasonable digital camera to record the moments
for around £150 and one of those printers where you just plug in a
card to print your photos for less than £100.

Is this possible if I want decent snaps that are going to last? If it
is does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old September 3rd 04, 06:28 PM
Dan Wojciechowski

"Qaz" wrote in message om...
Hello,

I have a brother with twins on the way and no computer at home. I'm
hoping to get him a reasonable digital camera to record the moments
for around £150 and one of those printers where you just plug in a
card to print your photos for less than £100.

I'd suggest not buying the printer, and expanding the budget for the camera
to 250 pounds. Most places (at least here in the U.S.A. - I assume the U.K.
is similar) happily produce prints directly from the memory card.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
----------------------------------

Old September 3rd 04, 08:54 PM
Dave Herzstein

Qaz wrote:

Hello,

I have a brother with twins on the way and no computer at home. I'm
hoping to get him a reasonable digital camera to record the moments
for around £150 and one of those printers where you just plug in a
card to print your photos for less than £100.

Is this possible if I want decent snaps that are going to last? If it
is does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

If he has no computer, then why a digital camera?

-Dave
Old September 4th 04, 12:26 AM
Michael Meissner

Dave Herzstein writes:

Qaz wrote:

Hello,

I have a brother with twins on the way and no computer at home. I'm
hoping to get him a reasonable digital camera to record the moments
for around £150 and one of those printers where you just plug in a
card to print your photos for less than £100.

Is this possible if I want decent snaps that are going to last? If it
is does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

If he has no computer, then why a digital camera?

If you aren't going to edit your pictures, then you don't need a computer.
Just take your memory cards down to the nearest machine, put in the memory
card, order up the prints, and get a burned CD in case you want to make prints
later. Pretty much like you did with film, except you have to press a few more
buttons on the screen, and you can choose which prints get made.

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old September 7th 04, 02:27 PM
Dave Herzstein

Michael Meissner wrote:

Dave Herzstein writes:
If he has no computer, then why a digital camera?

If you aren't going to edit your pictures, then you don't need a computer.
Just take your memory cards down to the nearest machine, put in the memory
card, order up the prints, and get a burned CD in case you want to make prints
later. Pretty much like you did with film, except you have to press a few more
buttons on the screen, and you can choose which prints get made.

And without a computer to store the image files, the images are lost
forever when the flash card is reformatted to take for pics.

-Dave
Old September 7th 04, 03:37 PM
Michael Meissner

Dave Herzstein writes:

Michael Meissner wrote:

Dave Herzstein writes:
If he has no computer, then why a digital camera?

If you aren't going to edit your pictures, then you don't need a computer.
Just take your memory cards down to the nearest machine, put in the memory
card, order up the prints, and get a burned CD in case you want to make
prints later. Pretty much like you did with film, except you have to press
a few more buttons on the screen, and you can choose which prints get made.

And without a computer to store the image files, the images are lost
forever when the flash card is reformatted to take for pics.

Ummm, as I said, you can have the store burn you a CD (for an extra charge),
which you can take back to the store later to make more prints.

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old September 7th 04, 05:43 PM
Dave Herzstein

Michael Meissner wrote:

Ummm, as I said, you can have the store burn you a CD (for an extra charge),
which you can take back to the store later to make more prints.

When you factor in the cost and inconvenience of a store burning the CD
after each flash card use, there's no money or time savings for digital
over film. IMHO, digital without a computer is an argument in favor of
film. (And I've been a digital-only shooter for 2.5 years now.)

-Dave