Your comments are always appreciated (trying again)

Old October 29th 05, 03:20 AM
MarkČ

Default Your comments are always appreciated (trying again)

Cathy wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Cathy wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in
message newsMi8f.3581$UF4.1726@fed1read02...
Richard Bornstein wrote:
Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics
of photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that
top photographers need.
Rick

That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative
eyeballs that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of
these: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
-But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others
are looking for.

Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a
good looking guy.

Wow! Thanks!

You're welcome.

Nice picture with you and a young woman too.

Cathy

Double wow!
-I'm sure you will absolutely make my wife's day when I show her your
comments about the "young woman..." seeing as she's 4 1/2 years
older than me, and I tease her every birthday about robbing the
cradle, etc.

Well, everybody needs compliments now and then. Keeps us going

4 1/2 years is only important when you are in your teens and makes
more of a difference when younger than 15. When I was around 15, I
used to go to my cousins house and he was 11 years old and I thought
what a kid nothing in common at all. But now, a man 4 1/2 years
younger than me is nothing. In fact, 10 years younger is nothing -
unless he looked younger, then that would be
no good

A tripod comes in handy when you want to actually get into one of
your own photos for a change, like in those two...
Thank you for your kind remarks.

Isn't it difficult when using a tripod such as in that case, to know
if you are going to be in the right place in the picture? The picture
of you and your wife is good as you are both pretty well in the
middle of the photo, as if someone took it. I've taken quite a few
self timer photos and they have turned out well, but not with a
tripod.

What I do is I frame the shot noting the relative size of something near
where I'll be, and then go to that spot.
In the shot of the two of us, I very carefully set it up...noting where my
feet should be, and about how much taller I am than my wife. Once you do it
a bunch of times, it's pretty quick. -Tougher when you want to fill the
frame with people, but not bad in most other settings.

By the way, when on Pbase and other photo sites, I am always
interested in what camera model certain photos are taken with, but I
don't always see that information. Do people posting photos not
always mention what camera they are using?

Pbase identifies this automatically from exif data, but some people use
editors that strip this data, so Pbase has nothing to note. One interesting
feature on Pbase is that you can search through millions of the images
posted through them based on camera model. You can, for example, see ONLY
the images shot with a 10D, or D70 if you like. They have a lot of
interesting ways of categorizing stuff.

Old October 29th 05, 04:37 AM
Cathy

Cathy wrote:
[...]

I used the self timer to take about 8 or 10 indoor flash shots a couple
of weeks ago when a few
relatives visited me. I put the camera on a steady ledge and we sat on
the couch.It was the only place where we could all sit in the right
place for the camera, though my one cousin had to squeeze in at the end
of the couch and just made it into the picture, so wasn't the best
composition, but
the pictures turned out very well. Self timers are fun.
In the photos, some people had redeye, but myself and a cousin who have
light blue eyes had no red eye at all, but a cousin with hazel yes and
another one with brown eyes had bad red eye. I don't usually have red
eye when I get photos taken. I fixed the red eye nicely in a trial
version of Photoshop Album 3.0 and I used Irfanview to lighten up some
of the photos which were a bit too dark. Now I have to know some things
about getting stills printed too send to my relatives.
Some don't have computers.I am going to post a message about it but not
tonight. I am too tired.

By the way, when on Pbase and other photo sites, I am always
interested in what camera model certain photos are taken with, but I
don't always see that information. Do people posting photos not
always mention what camera they are using?

Pbase identifies this automatically from exif data, but some people

use
editors that strip this data, so Pbase has nothing to note. One

interesting
feature on Pbase is that you can search through millions of the images
posted through them based on camera model. You can, for example, see

ONLY
the images shot with a 10D, or D70 if you like. They have a lot of
interesting ways of categorizing stuff.

I didn't know that. I will have to check. By the way, you had a
beautiful background to photograph in Hawai. I've heard its so beautiful
there, but I don't think I would ever get the chance to go there.

Cathy