Your comments are always appreciated (trying again)

Old October 27th 05, 04:33 AM
Richard Bornstein

Default Your comments are always appreciated (trying again)

I appreciate the comment about polarizing filter, but the camera is a
point-and-shoot. Is there any way to put on the filter?

As for the pictures I took, personally i liked the pictures that I took on
my hikes in the woods, closeups of the plants and such.

"Richard Bornstein" wrote in message
Thanks for all your comments. They were very much appreciated.

As for saturation, etc, i should say that all these pictures were not
adjusted in any way. Sorry bout the excess amount of pictures, i just
posted a link that had all the pics of that trip.

"Richard Bornstein" wrote in message
Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your

comments
are appreciated.

I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.

http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP

If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:

http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pic...80100938UxNJpP
(just click on 'no thanks').

My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion

they
are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there

that
can beat these.

I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a

corrected
link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

Old October 27th 05, 06:16 AM
Jasen

"Richard Bornstein" wrote in message
I appreciate the comment about polarizing filter, but the camera is a
point-and-shoot. Is there any way to put on the filter?

As for the pictures I took, personally i liked the pictures that I took on
my hikes in the woods, closeups of the plants and such.

Ah, now it's all clear. There are limitations to what you can and can't
shot with a P&S. That's fine if you like what you took, but to try and sell
that work isn't going to be easy. Heck, it isn't easy with really good
photography sometimes. I'd doubt if you can put a polariser on your camera,
but have a search for other attachments you might be able to fit on the lens
housing. Dimage P&S cameras have things such as a fishlens for example, so
there might be things like that. I still seriously recommend getting some
reading material though and learn how to take shots properly and differently
to others enough to stand out.
good luck.

Old October 28th 05, 06:18 AM
Richard Bornstein

Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
photographers need.
Rick

Old October 28th 05, 06:35 AM
MarkČ

Richard Bornstein wrote:
Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
photographers need.
Rick

That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative eyeballs
that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of these:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
-But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others are
looking for.

That's one thing that makes doing this as a JOB different.
You have to focus on what OTHERS find pleasing, rather than simply what is
pleasing to yourself.
That's not a bad thing, though, since much of the pleasure in photography is
in creating images others appreciate...but when it turns into a money-making
venture, a new pressure arrives that I'm not all too fond of.
Others find great satisfaction in this aspect. I'm not so sure I would.
It's not as fun when I'm being paid to do it. It reminds me of when I was a
kid. If I was mowing a friend's lawn as a favor, I did it with great
vigor...but when it was my regular, Saturday morning chores at home...it was
drudgery.

Old October 28th 05, 04:49 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Richard Bornstein
writes
Hi: I shot the following pictures with a Kodak LS753 camera. Your comments
are appreciated.

I hope it works, and doesn't just connect to a webshots blank page.

http://community.webshots.com/album/480100938UxNJpP

If that doesn't work, perhaps this will:
http://cards.webshots.com/invite/pic...80100938UxNJpP
(just click on 'no thanks').

My wife says that i can sell some of my pictures, but in my opinion they
are nice, but there is alot of wonderful professionals out that there that
can beat these.

I tried posting the link before but it didn't work and reposted a corrected
link but it didn't seem to ever appear. Trying again. Hope it works.

Richard,

At the risk of repeating some of the comments of others, I don't think
you could sell any of these pictures, but you do show the signs of
having a good eye. With some changes and experience you would improve
very much. Don't think of this as discouraging, many people seem to be
unable to frame a picture at any price.

In detail:

1 I noticed quite a few pictures which showed camera shake. This is a
very common fault, caused by (a) using too slow a shutter speed; (b) not
learning how to brace the camera while releasing the shutter; (c)
stabbing the shutter too vigorously. Small P&S cameras are probably the
hardest to handle here; they are very light (thus no inertia to resist
impulse) and often offer no way of controlling the shutter speed in use.

2 Again, quite a few photos showed exposure errors, mostly
over-exposure. Learn to read the LCD screen immediately after the shot,
and be prepared to delete and repeat if necessary. If the LCD review is
not very good, be prepared to bracket and do the selection at home
later. Also, if you are still not happy with the exposure of the only or
best shot, learn how to tweak it in an image editing program later. One
or two of the shots (Fall River Falls and 100-0940 spring to mind - I
have an oil painting above my computer very similar to the latter) would
look good on the wall with the correct exposure. If you want to become
serious, get a good book on exposure (it doesn't matter if it covers
film, most of the principles are the same).

3 The flower shots show potential, but some had focus errors, and most
of them had too much depth of field. Again, I suspect this is partly
because of the equipment you used. A P&S with a tiny sensor will tend to
have a very great DoF because of the small focal length of the lens, and
even wide open may not give ideal results. Also, your P&S may not allow
you to control aperture easily. Using a 35mm film camera or a DSLR with
an APS-C or larger sensor will allow you to throw the background out of
focus and produce a much better result.

4 And, yes, it has to be said that there are a lot of very dull shots
there. Lots of hazy hills and empty roads among many others. Now please
don't think I'm being snooty here; I just got back from a 5-day trip
with several hundred pictures, and the percentage of awfully dull
"seemed like a good idea at the time" or "it means something to me as a
memento" shots is not that different from yours. However, I would not
show them to anyone outside the family (and them only for the content,
as it were). Learn to be selective in what you show to others. If a
picture does not stick in your mind for quite a time, how do you expect
others to be wowed by it?

Here is what I would suggest you do at this stage:

(A) Chuck any images which are noticeably unsharp; sharpening can help
with a little softness from AA filters in digital cameras but cannot
retrieve pictures with camera shake or material focus errors. Also chuck
any with major exposure errors.

(B) Then put aside about half the pictures which just don't look
interesting.

(C) Any which look interesting but have slight exposure errors should be
tweaked. A good book on the image editor of your choice will explain
this, or come back later and ask.

(D) Then select the ones - probably at most 10% of the total - which
really catch your eye. Remove any blemishes, re-size if necessary for
the final output and apply a little unsharp mask if necessary (your P&S
probably over-sharpens in camera; a DSLR will almost certainly need some
USM as they mostly do little in-camera sharpening).

(E) Show prints of these to a dispassionate audience (i.e. preferably
not your wife) and see what they say. Some will receive praise, some
will get brickbats; many of these will surprise you, but gradually some
of the feedback will make sense.

(F) If there are camera clubs in your locality, consider joining one and
entering their competitions and exhibitions. However, you often find a
very stifling, old fashioned view of what makes a good picture.

(G) Repeat the above until you see that your equipment is holding you
back. Buy a DSLR. And lenses. And a tripod ....

(H) Repeat until you realise that you are producing stuff which is (in
the small percentage which sees the light of day) good enough to stand
open comparison with the work of others you admire.

(I) Realise (at least in my case!) that selling photos is just too
frustrating, and that there are other ways of making a lot more money
which leaves you time to please yourself!

YMMV

Hope you find this helpful, do come back with any specific issues.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old October 28th 05, 09:29 PM
Cathy

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
newsMi8f.3581$UF4.1726@fed1read02...
Richard Bornstein wrote:
Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
photographers need.
Rick

That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative

eyeballs
that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of these:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
-But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others

are
looking for.

Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a good
looking guy. Nice picture with you and a young woman too.

Cathy

Old October 29th 05, 12:54 AM
MarkČ

Richard Bornstein wrote:
Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics of
photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
photographers need.
Rick

That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative
eyeballs that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of
these: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
-But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others
are looking for.

Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a
good looking guy.

Wow! Thanks!

Nice picture with you and a young woman too.

Cathy

Double wow!
-I'm sure you will absolutely make my wife's day when I show her your
comments about the "young woman..." seeing as she's 4 1/2 years older than
me, and I tease her every birthday about robbing the cradle, etc.
A tripod comes in handy when you want to actually get into one of your own
photos for a change, like in those two...
Thank you for your kind remarks.
-Mark

Old October 29th 05, 01:04 AM
MarkČ

David Littlewood wrote:
[...]

Snip of EXCELLENT commentary and advice from D. Littlewood

(I) Realise (at least in my case!) that selling photos is just too
frustrating, and that there are other ways of making a lot more money
which leaves you time to please yourself!

YMMV

Hope you find this helpful, do come back with any specific issues.

David

You're a good guy, David.

Great post and suggestions.
I would only add one thing, which is to anyone else listening regarding
exposure...
-Even though it's old news, I continue to be AMAZED at the ability to
recover poorly exosed shots during RAW processing(!!). Truly amazing. RSE
is particularly good for doing this quickly, with results immediately
revealed and duplicated for similarly problematic shots. I think many here
on this forum continue to cheat themselves out of perhaps the most powerful
aspecdt of digital by ignoring their RAW image capabilities. What an
incredibly enabling tool!

I suspect the OP wasn't using a camera that offers RAW mode, but for others,
I guess this is just one more plug to give RAW a whirl--Especially with such
excellent and FREE tools like RSE, which make the whole RAW issue intuitive
and simple.

-Mark2

Old October 29th 05, 02:59 AM
Cathy

Richard Bornstein wrote:
Thanks again. I have some knowledge of the basics of the technics

of
photography, but I don't think I have the creative sense that top
photographers need.
Rick

That's about how I feel about my photos a lot of the time.
They are pleasing...to ME...but I don't have all sorts of creative
eyeballs that lead to uniquely conceived shots.
I have what I think are some nice photos, like the first few of
these: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004
-But most of my photos are for *me, and not necessarily what others
are looking for.

Mark, lovely photos. Is that you at the waterfall? If so, you are a
good looking guy.

Wow! Thanks!

You're welcome.

Nice picture with you and a young woman too.

Cathy

Double wow!
-I'm sure you will absolutely make my wife's day when I show her your
comments about the "young woman..." seeing as she's 4 1/2 years older

than
me, and I tease her every birthday about robbing the cradle, etc.

Well, everybody needs compliments now and then. Keeps us going

4 1/2 years is only important when you are in your teens and makes more
of a difference when younger than 15. When I was around 15, I used to go
to my cousins house and he was 11 years old and I thought what a kid
nothing in common at all. But now, a man 4 1/2 years younger than me is
nothing. In fact, 10 years younger is nothing - unless he looked
younger, then that would be
no good

A tripod comes in handy when you want to actually get into one of your

own
photos for a change, like in those two...
Thank you for your kind remarks.

Isn't it difficult when using a tripod such as in that case, to know if
you are going to be in the right place in the picture? The picture of
you and your wife is good as you are both pretty well in the middle of
the photo, as if someone took it. I've taken quite a few self timer
photos and they have turned out well, but not with a tripod.
By the way, when on Pbase and other photo sites, I am always interested
in what camera model certain photos are taken with, but I don't always
see that information. Do people posting photos not always mention what
camera they are using?

Cathy