Which Lens for my DRebel

Old November 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
mortn

Default Which Lens for my DRebel

I'm looking to buy the DRebel but I'm not sure which lens to get with it. While the kit
lens would probably suffice, I think I would prefer a little more telephoto. I was
thinking about the Canon 28-105mm lens rather than the 18-55mm. Is anyone familiar with
this lens? I would appreciate any thoughts as to which to get. Also, I see that there
are 2 versions of the lens. Is there any significant difference between the two?
I want the camera for general purpose use.
Any help in deciding would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Old November 3rd 04, 06:29 PM
Aerticus

You could get an FZ20 for that price LOL

Aerticus

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
mortn wrote:

I'm looking to buy the DRebel but I'm not sure which lens to get with it.
While the kit
lens would probably suffice, I think I would prefer a little more
telephoto. I was
thinking about the Canon 28-105mm lens rather than the 18-55mm. Is anyone
familiar with
this lens? I would appreciate any thoughts as to which to get. Also, I
see that there
are 2 versions of the lens. Is there any significant difference between
the two?
I want the camera for general purpose use.
Any help in deciding would be appreciated.
Thank you.

The 18-55 is pretty good bang for the buck. )I don't own one, but I've
paid close attention to images I've seen on the net).

The 28-105 is a decent lens too. I do have one of these It's
not my main lens, but I like the images it produces.

Get the EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM model. The wider aperture will give you
better performance in low light. It's not much more expensive.

I find the 28mm wide end (even though it's 44mm with the crop) is good
enough for me.. But this is just because of MY personal shooting style..
(To me, anything under 100mm is wide angle :-)

If you do shoot indoor stuff and like taking landscapes and architecture
photos, you might want to go with the kit lens.. If you shop around
you'll see that short focal length zooms are very expensive compared
to the 18-55.

You're probably on a budget, but if you really want a wide focal range
and can afford it, get the 18-55 kit lens AND then add the EF 55-200..
This will give you a *very* versatile 18-200mm..

Old November 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
Robert Barr

The 28 - 105 is a USM lens, and focuses more quickly and quietly. It
also has full-time manual focusing. I'm pretty fond of mine.

I also have the kit lens, which does a great job in my opinion, but it's
not as fast -- either in terms of light gathering or focus speed.

To complicate things a bit, there's now a USM version of the 18-55, but
it's a lot more money.

There are several versions of the 28 - 105. Without splitting hairs,
you definitely want the 3.5 - 4.5 version. (Even within this category,
some say the lenses marked 'MACRO' are preferable to those with a flower
symbol. More blades in the aperature, I think. I doubt I'd ever notice
the difference.)

All of the above lenses are really good values. There are nicer lenses,
but not for that kind of money.
Old November 3rd 04, 07:51 PM
Joseph Meehan

mortn wrote:
I'm looking to buy the DRebel but I'm not sure which lens to get with it.
While the kit lens would probably suffice, I think I would prefer a little
more telephoto. I was thinking about the Canon 28-105mm lens rather than
the 18-55mm. Is anyone familiar with this lens? I would appreciate any
thoughts as to which to get. Also, I see that there are 2 versions of the
lens. Is there any significant difference between the two? I want the
camera for general purpose use.
Any help in deciding would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I don't know about the two versions, but I got one with my 20D. It is a
very good lens for the money and a very good match for the camera. No it
does not match the sharpness of my canon macro, but few do. It is a very
useful range for real life photography. Most people think about the "need"
for telephoto, but in real life, wide angle is more useful IMO. Think about
those photos at Thanksgiving or around the Christmas tree. You can't get
the whole gang in without a good wide angle.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 3rd 04, 09:57 PM
Charles Schuler

The kit lens is a good buy and a good general purpose lens. Most owners
like theirs and many outstanding shots have been posted on the 300D forum at
dpreview.com.

Old November 3rd 04, 09:57 PM
Charles Schuler

Old November 3rd 04, 10:50 PM
Bald Eagle

Skip the kit lens and buy the Sigma 18-125. My kit lens will never see
another picture now that i have this little morsel of a lens.

Old November 3rd 04, 11:54 PM
JohnR

because of the cropping factor, you really need the 18mm wide angle on the
camera (unless you just don't shoot wide angle). Look at the cheapie EF
80-200. It is very good for the price.
John