Red channel to BW

Old July 17th 04, 11:57 AM
ned

Default Red channel to BW

I shoot art images and grab the red channel out of the image in photoshop
and make that into a black and white. But I've got better results by
putting the good old red filter on the camera and shooting with that... I
get less noise that way. It's funny because red channel is the noisiest,
and the green channel is the least noisy. Does anyone else have a similar
experience shooting black and white with digi?

Old July 17th 04, 09:19 PM
Charles Schuler

"ned" wrote in message
I shoot art images and grab the red channel out of the image in photoshop
and make that into a black and white. But I've got better results by
putting the good old red filter on the camera and shooting with that... I
get less noise that way. It's funny because red channel is the noisiest,
and the green channel is the least noisy. Does anyone else have a similar
experience shooting black and white with digi?

Are you trying for an infra red look? What camera are you using?

I have had decent results with Photoshop CS and images from a 300D to
produce B&W shots. Not great ... decent. I have never tried for the "IR"
look, however.

Old July 19th 04, 02:05 AM

In message ,
"ned" wrote:

I shoot art images and grab the red channel out of the image in photoshop
and make that into a black and white. But I've got better results by
putting the good old red filter on the camera and shooting with that... I
get less noise that way. It's funny because red channel is the noisiest,
and the green channel is the least noisy. Does anyone else have a similar
experience shooting black and white with digi?

How does the exposure compare in the red channel with and without the
filter?

Perhaps the metering favors a higher exposure with the filter on, since
its seeing less blue and green light.
--

John P Sheehy