Schneider APO Artar

Old September 22nd 04, 08:41 AM
Glenn Barry

Default Schneider APO Artar

I've got an APO Artar Schneider 360mm F9

and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on using it for work at
less than 1:1 magnification on 4x5, landscapes, studio etc etc etc

I'm thinking of getting it fitted to a Copal #3 shutter.

Is it worth the expense, keep in mind that I already own the shutter, so
that should cut down significantly on the expense.

Thnaks

Glenn
Old September 22nd 04, 09:15 AM
Martin Jangowski

Glenn Barry wrote:
I've got an APO Artar Schneider 360mm F9

and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on using it for work at
less than 1:1 magnification on 4x5, landscapes, studio etc etc etc

I'm thinking of getting it fitted to a Copal #3 shutter.

Is it worth the expense, keep in mind that I already own the shutter, so
that should cut down significantly on the expense.

This is a dialyte type lens, one of the best constructions of it's type.
It has a rather narrow angle of view (the useable diameter is about the
same as the focal length at infinity), so this one is suitable for
8x10". The dialytes (other examples are the Apo-Ronars) have
excellent quality even when used at infinity.

Martin

Old September 22nd 04, 08:56 PM
Hemi4268

I've got an APO Artar Schneider 360mm F9

Just about any lens will be an APO at f-9 because of the large depth of focus
at f-9. The word APO only means something at say f-2 or even maybe f-4.

Larry
Old September 22nd 04, 09:08 PM
Gregory Blank

HUM????? Define "APO" then.

--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 22nd 04, 09:50 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Hemi4268" wrote in message
I've got an APO Artar Schneider 360mm F9

Just about any lens will be an APO at f-9 because of the
large depth of focus
at f-9. The word APO only means something at say f-2 or
even maybe f-4.

Larry

How about lateral color, which is a difference in image
size with color of light. The stop has no effect on this.
Stopping down will reduce the effect of longitudinal
chromatic aberration but will not eliminate it. Also
remember that chromatic aberration also affects the
correction of other corrections such as spherical aberration
so the above is only partially true.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old September 22nd 04, 09:59 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Glenn Barry" wrote in message
u...
I've got an APO Artar Schneider 360mm F9

and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on using it
for work at less than 1:1 magnification on 4x5,
landscapes, studio etc etc etc

I'm thinking of getting it fitted to a Copal #3 shutter.

Is it worth the expense, keep in mind that I already own
the shutter, so that should cut down significantly on the
expense.

Thnaks

Glenn

The Goerz, later Schneider, Apochromatic Artar is of a
type (Dialyte) which holds its corrections very well with
change in object distance. The older versions are all
optimised for 1:1 magnification, i.e., equal object and
image distances, the later "Red Dot" version was supplied
with some modification of element spacing to optimise it for
middle distances, the change varying with focal length and
depending on whether the lens was originally supplied in a
barrel or a shutter.
The main aberration that shows up at infinity focus is
some coma. When the lens is stopped down, perhaps two stops,
the coma disappears. Coverage is comparitively limited for
this type. The best image is confined to an angle of about
45degrees at infinity focus but in practice the lens will
cover a diagonal equal to its focal length. The image
quality falls off very rapidly beyond this and is not
increased by stopping down.
I have a couple of Apochromatic Artars, both quite old
(about 1930) and an early Red Dot (1956, I think). Both are
among the sharpest LF lenses I've ever seen.
Lenses of this general type were the most often used as
process lenses for photomechanical reproduction, they were
sold under many names. The Goerz Apochromatic Artar was the
most popular of all, at least in the U.S.
The cell spacing is critical so make sure that whoever
does the remounting knows their stuff.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old September 22nd 04, 10:35 PM
Bandicoot

"Hemi4268" wrote in message
I've got an APO Artar Schneider 360mm F9

Just about any lens will be an APO at f-9 because of the large depth of

focus
at f-9. The word APO only means something at say f-2 or even maybe f-4.

Aside from the fact that "Errr, no...", a 350mm on 10x8 doesn't exactly have
a _whole_ lot of DoF even at f9.

Peter