Digital Rebel vs Power Shot Pro

Old August 1st 04, 11:25 PM
LEICA

Default Digital Rebel vs Power Shot Pro

A few weeks ago I asked here if a Canon Digital Rebel II was on the horizon.
I'm about to buy a Rebel this year but was wondering if I should wait. I know
that there will always be new camera models. But today I learned of the Canon
Digital Power Shot Pro. It is a SLR and sells for the same $999. MegaPix are
higher - 8.0 to 6.3 for the Rebel.The Power Shot Pro has a slightly larger LCD
screen and it wiggles around. But, unlike the Rebel, you must stick with the
same lens.Rebel takes all Canon EOS lenses and I have a basket full of those.I
expect I'll stick with my Rebel choice unless someone here talks me out of it.

I haven't taken my best picture yet.
Old August 2nd 04, 01:28 AM
Mark B.

"LEICA" wrote in message
[...]

The sensor on the Rebel is much larger, and that more than makes up for the
2mp difference. The Pro1 images will be noisier and have more CA than the
same image taken on a DReb. Check the reviews on
http://www.dpreview.com

Mark

Old August 2nd 04, 02:15 AM
LEICA

.The Power Shot Pro has a slightly larger
LCD
screen and it wiggles around.

It does?

Yep. Like screen on a cam-corder

I haven't taken my best picture yet.

Old August 2nd 04, 03:26 AM

LEICA wrote:
A few weeks ago I asked here if a Canon Digital Rebel II was on the horizon.
I'm about to buy a Rebel this year but was wondering if I should wait. I know
that there will always be new camera models. But today I learned of the Canon
Digital Power Shot Pro. It is a SLR and sells for the same $999. MegaPix are
higher - 8.0 to 6.3 for the Rebel.The Power Shot Pro has a slightly larger LCD
screen and it wiggles around. But, unlike the Rebel, you must stick with the
same lens.Rebel takes all Canon EOS lenses and I have a basket full of those.I
expect I'll stick with my Rebel choice unless someone here talks me out of it.

Its quite simple. If you need that new camera now, buy it now. If you can
delay your purchase, then delay it. One of two things will happen: the
Rebel will come down in price OR a new model will come out. Actually, a
third thing can happen, and that's for both the previous things to happen.
The point is that there's always something new coming down the pike so the
only question you need to ask yourself is if you are willing to wait.

Old August 2nd 04, 03:28 AM
Tony Spadaro

It is not an SLR and I doubt it will operate anywhere near as fast as a
Rebel.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto