For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us

Old November 30th 16, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
(PeteCresswell)

Default For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us - The Taxman Cometh

Per PAS:
You don't have to convince me about the type of drivers we encounter
here. As the years go by, more and more drivers become more and more
selfish, they don't care about anyone else on the road.

Does anybody else notice clusters of crazy driving?

I have this 80-mile drive down to the New Jersey shore that I've been
making for a lot of years on a more-or-less weekly basis.

Seems like months go by with no noticeably-nuts drivers and then one day
I'll see something like a guy in a Porsche coming off an on-ramp at 85+
only to drive down the shoulder until he finds a break in traffic, one
or two guys slaloming through moderately-heavy traffic, a guy on a
large rice rocket coming out of a tool booth with the front wheel a
couple feet off the ground.... and so-on-and-so-forth.

It's not like I see stuff like that once every week... it seems like
nothing for weeks at a time and then multiple events on a single day.

Maybe something with a full moon?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 30th 16, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/30/2016 2:48 PM, PAS wrote:
On 11/30/2016 12:50 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/30/2016 10:24 AM, PAS wrote:
On 11/30/2016 10:18 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:13:49 -0500, PAS wrote:

On 11/29/2016 8:17 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/29/2016 2:52 PM, android wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

On 11/29/2016 12:39 PM, Davoud wrote:
PAS:
Since we're talking about NetFlix...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr...to-apply-9-net

fl
ix-tax/#5e4b50e027a6
Davoud:
Capitalist pigs. Anti-fair-wages, anti-fair taxes, borrow and
spend. Up
against the wall.
PAS:
Our government is not Capitalist.
I wasn't talking about the government. I was talking about Forbes.
But,
since you raised it... the U.S. government's primary concern is
making
the world safe for predatory capitalism.

The federal government, like other levels of governments, primary
concern is how to separate the citizens from their money.
Oki...

Sometimes I wonder if our roads are paved by magic, police don't get
paid, traffic lights work by magic, etc.

The roads must be paved by magic. Every time I pass one of the road
crews, most of the workers are just standing around.
Back when we were not so politically correct, there were signs that
said "Men Working" where there was road construction. I guess no one
wanted to pay for larger signs that said "Men Standing Around Leaning
on Shovels".

I see some women on he work crews. Most of the time, they are the "flag
waver". I know someone who does that, $30.00/hour to wave a flag, as if
the motorists can't tell that there is construction. Then again, we
have some of the stupidest drivers around.

The women are hired because of the minority hiring bonus clause in
most gubbmint contracts. Women are classified as minorities for
certain industrial purposes, road construction is among them. They are
used for traffic control, because of lack of training for other
positions.

As to the need for traffic control, go to Traffic Court in Nassau
County. They have a continuously running video of various
intersections, and watch. The "I don't give a ****" attitude of those
drivers cannot be overstated.

You don't have to convince me about the type of drivers we encounter
here. As the years go by, more and more drivers become more and more
selfish, they don't care about anyone else on the road.

in my travels, I haves seen worse. Based on my experience, D.C. and the
VA area near there are even worse, FL is no joy either.
New England drivers seem to be much better.

--
PeterN
Old November 30th 16, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

crews, most of the workers are just standing around. You know where I
live and you are familiar with the entrance ramp from County Rd. 111
onto the westbound LIE. A second lane of the on-ramp is being added, a
short one. Construction has been on-going sine June and it's still not
complete. Most Long Islanders will agree that road work is done in a
very inefficient way, taking far too long for the projects to complete.

Every level of government can do with less but there is no incentive
when they can simply raise taxes. The federal government has had record
tax receipts year after year. At what point is "enough, enough"?

Te road paving and construction is done by contractors who bid on the
jobs. In most jobs the contractor does not receive final payment until
after the job is complete and inspected. Progress payments are made,
but there is a holdback pending final inspection.

The projects still take too long.

You live too far from NYC. That is one of the worst, for construction
delays. Here is a link to one of the classic examples:
http://www.nycroads.com/roads/bruckner/

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 16, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
android

http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr...icago-to-apply
[...]

The people said no in a referendum that the city council promised to
respect but yeat it's he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Link

And with some roads that will ad to the congestion of the inner city it
will cost at least $3.7 billion...

It will surely mess up this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothenburg_quadricentennial_jubilee

It's paid ordinary taxes and by Big Brother tool stations like this:

https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/gl...trangselskatt/
001c.jpg

Not amused...
--
teleportation kills
Old December 1st 16, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PAS[_2_]

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

I like living far from NYC so I'm not affected by the traffic and
construction delays. When I go into NYC, it is usually on the LIRR. I
drive occasionally but parking is a problem/added expense.

Old December 1st 16, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PAS[_2_]

On 11/30/2016 3:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Pete, I see it on a daily basis as I drive to work or running errands on
the weekend. People are aggressive, inconsiderate, and downright
dangerous at times. On my 30-minute drive this morning I came across
the following:

1) a pickup truck changing lanes in front of me with barely enough room
to fit in. The truck came within six inches of hitting my car as it
whipped in front of me.

2) a fellow driving his BMW in the fast lane at 50MPH. As drivers would
go around and pass, he would flip hem the middle finger.

3) I was tailgated to the point where I couldn't see the bumper of the
pickup truck behind me as I was traveling at 75MPH. I was going to move
over when the truck abruptly cut into the lane to the right and then got
along side of me and proceeded to try to "push" me over. He would have
side-swiped me as I had nowhere to move over too since I was in the left
lane. Bear in mind, the speed limit here is 55MPH so I was already
20MPH over the limit but it wasn't fast enough for the jerk behind me.

I don't like to stereotype but I've noticed that pickup truck drivers
around here are the most obnoxious, inconsiderate, and aggressive
drivers. Second to them are SUV drivers.

Old December 1st 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
(PeteCresswell)

Per J. Clarke:
So in your mind the alternatives are bad
government and no government?

No.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 1st 16, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2016-11-29 10:15, PAS wrote:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr.../#5e4b50e027a6

It's inevitable.

I don't know if Chicago currently has a sales tax on cable television,
but one could see that as one service is less used and another rises,
then the desire to tax it will rise.

People might evade the tax:
-using VPN services (as long as they're already paying for it for some
other purpose - digitally aided tax evasion).
-have billing go to uncle Charlie in Iowa.

OTOH, 9% ain't that much on top of the pretty low Netflix fee.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old December 1st 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
(PeteCresswell)

Per PAS:
I don't like to stereotype but I've noticed that pickup truck drivers
around here are the most obnoxious, inconsiderate, and aggressive
drivers.

Maybe it's a false sense of security - sitting so high off the road.

I certainly had that false sense in my 1998 Suburban and now I have it
in my 2005 F-150.

"False" because, IMHO, neither vehicle handles very well. Somebody
should have gone to jail over the Suburban's brakes. Both are way
top-heavy, and the F-150 has less rear wheel traction than anything I
have ever driven.

WHen I have to pull into the hammer lane, I'll do whatever the lane is
moving at, but I really don't feel safe doing anything over 70 in the
F-150... and the right lanes around here move mostly at 65 for
uncontrolled highways and about 70 for controlled-access highways.....so
that's where I tend to stay until I encounter the relatively-rare
slower-moving vehicle.

Here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, they did something with the traffic
lights a few years back. All lights red for a certain amount of time
and ungodly-long red lights at some intersections.

Immediately afterwards, I have no doubt there was a decrease in
intersection accidents.

But over time people have learned to discount the light timing and a lot
of people *really* don't want to hit those long reds.

Combine that with an un-timed traffic light system (this is one of the
richest areas in the nation, but the traffic management is like some
third-world country) and you get a lot of people running red lights
pedal-to-the-metal.

Before, you'd see the occasional person furtively slipping through...
but now it's totally different: they see the yellow and they floor it...
and a noticeable number seem to be running the red even so they had
plenty time to stop.

I ride a bike a lot for local transportation, and the change in motor
vehicle operator behavior is very obvious from a cyclist's perspective.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 2nd 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/1/2016 9:13 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

My fave is the A-hole who honked, impatiently as I am making a right
turn into a parking lot, and I am stopped because of the car in front of
me. Of course the A-hole couldn't pass because he was right on my tail.
I must admit that I gave the car in front of me a lot of room.

--
PeterN