Building a system

Old March 30th 05, 03:20 AM
Bandicoot

"Martin Francis" wrote in message

"jjs" wrote in message
"Martin Francis" wrote in message

"jjs" wrote in message

Ouch. I forgot about that. Now what if I were to visit the UK and just
happen to leave my Hasselblad system there? Would I be taxed upon
leaving?

Yes. I'd be collecting on IR's behalf...

It was a serious question, Martin. Do I have to account for things I

bring
in but do not bring out? Molly and I are thinking of revisiting England
and Ireland and I do have extra 'blad equipment I'd not mind disposing

of
to fellow enthusiasts.

I'm sorry, i've no idea. I don't think HM Customs are that thorough,

though.

Anyone know?

Technically, yes. You pay no import duty on what you bring with you as a
tourist (or for work) on the basis that it is a "temporary import" and you
will be taking it out again. With large items they may ask, when you bring
it in, that you do some paperwork confirming it will be going back out with
you - that is extremely unlikely to apply to a 'moderate' amount of
equipment that looks like it is for an enthusiast's use while on the trip.

So: the legal position is that both import duty (paid by the importer,
probably passed on to the buyer) and VAT (but only if the seller is VAT
registered, which you wouldn't be, and too complex for me to explain in this
post(!)) are due.

The practical position is that if you aren't checked on what you bring in,
no one is going to know if you don't take it out again. I'm not suggesting
you do anything illegall though, of course...

Peter

Old March 30th 05, 03:33 AM
jjs

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
[... snip good stuff...]

The practical position is that if you aren't checked on what you bring in,
no one is going to know if you don't take it out again. I'm not
suggesting
you do anything illegall though, of course...

Thanks for the help, Bandicoot. It would be a shame if someone in England
stole a Hasselblad and I were expected to pay duty on it.

After all, are not taxes just another kind of theft?

--
jjs who lives in a kleptocracy called the USA

Old March 31st 05, 02:20 AM
retoohs

"jjs" wrote in message

Ouch. I forgot about that. Now what if I were to visit the UK and just
happen to leave my Hasselblad system there? Would I be taxed upon
leaving?

Yes. I'd be collecting on IR's behalf...

It was a serious question, Martin. Do I have to account for things I bring
in but do not bring out? Molly and I are thinking of revisiting England
and Ireland and I do have extra 'blad equipment I'd not mind disposing of
to fellow enthusiasts.

I'm sorry, i've no idea. I don't think HM Customs are that thorough, though.

Anyone know?

Martin, customs have a lot more to worry about than things like cameras
getting left behind in todays world. Have a think about this offer, it
is a great opportunity

Alan

Old March 31st 05, 07:53 PM
Martin Francis

"jjs" wrote in message
It was a serious question, Martin. Do I have to account for things I bring
in but do not bring out? Molly and I are thinking of revisiting England
and Ireland and I do have extra 'blad equipment I'd not mind disposing of
to fellow enthusiasts.

Purely out of interest, what exactly would you think of "disposing of"?

Martin.

Old April 1st 05, 01:47 AM
jjs

"jjs" wrote in message
It was a serious question, Martin. Do I have to account for things I
bring in but do not bring out? Molly and I are thinking of revisiting
England and Ireland and I do have extra 'blad equipment I'd not mind
disposing of to fellow enthusiasts.

Purely out of interest, what exactly would you think of "disposing of"?

The 'kit' as they used to say: 500c body, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm lenses, waist
level and 90 degree finder, filters and lens shades for all, things like
that.