Risked a pot pie

Old August 2nd 15, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Risked a pot pie

This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

--
PeterN
Old August 2nd 15, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

On 2/8/2015 5:12 πμ, PeterN wrote:
This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

Good one Peter, my brother-in-law has almost a hundred poultry,
cockerels, hens, geeze, ducks, pigeons everything. It's supposed to be
his hobby. Some are really impressive, alaskan chicken and the like.
I'll surely take some photos when I visit them again. BTW, the ducks are
tame, and they let my niece pick them up, hug them, pet them etc.
Old August 2nd 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/2/2015 6:25 AM, Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:
On 2/8/2015 5:12 πμ, PeterN wrote:
This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

Good one Peter, my brother-in-law has almost a hundred poultry,
cockerels, hens, geeze, ducks, pigeons everything. It's supposed to be
his hobby. Some are really impressive, alaskan chicken and the like.
I'll surely take some photos when I visit them again. BTW, the ducks are
tame, and they let my niece pick them up, hug them, pet them etc.

Thank you.

Ducks are pretty mellow critters. When my kids were little I thought
they might like a pet duck. When my wife came home she stated
emphatically: "either the duck goes, or I go." I will not repeat my
response, but her reply was, "don't be funny." We found a nice local
pond, wehre there were some other domisticated ducks, and visited
regularly to feed Donald. (A few weeks later we learned that we should
have named the duck Daisey.)

--
PeterN
Old August 2nd 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Davoud

PeterN:

This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

Handsome fellow, though I can't say he looks happy.

Hint: "snack," "kernels."

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 2nd 15, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/2/2015 11:21 AM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:

This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

Handsome fellow, though I can't say he looks happy.

Hint: "snack," "kernels."

thanks for your comment.
Now if only I could find instructions for reinstalling the spel chekker
in Thunderbird. I get the checking window, bout no corrections appear.

--
PeterN
Old August 2nd 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 22:12:08 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

I seem to be standing in for Savageduck. :-)

The image gives the impression that it is printed on velvet - or old
carpet - or something. Whatever. Anyway, I don't like the apparent
texture.

Closer examination shows that in places it carries an oversharpening
halo. The background, and no doubt the foreground, has the appearance
of being viewed through vey fine ripple glass.

Examination of the Exif data shows what I suspect may be the main
culprit.

Sharpen Radius +3
Sharpen detail 43
Sharpen edge masking 0

In other words, you have sharpened everything within the body of the
chicken, and it shows.

I think a lesser Sharpen Radius would help and, particularly, so would
some Sharpen Edge Masking.

In making these comments, I fully accept that you may like it the way
it is.

Eric Stevens
Old August 2nd 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

I seem to be standing in for Savageduck. :-)

Why thank you. I will do my best to see that you get your "Savageduck
Proxy" T-shirt.

I hadn't commented as remarks seemed to be heading toward cuisine
rather than photography.

The image gives the impression that it is printed on velvet - or old
carpet - or something. Whatever. Anyway, I don't like the apparent
texture.

Closer examination shows that in places it carries an oversharpening
halo. The background, and no doubt the foreground, has the appearance
of being viewed through very fine ripple glass.

Yup!
http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxuserconten t.com%2Fu%2F97242118%2F20150801_Orient_0567.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/ozbm6gx

Examination

of the Exif data shows what I suspect may be the main
culprit.

Sharpen Radius +3
Sharpen detail 43
Sharpen edge masking 0

In other words, you have sharpened everything within the body of the
chicken, and it shows.

There is more. Not the least of which is a Vibrance setting at +41.
He has also tried to fix the noise generated by over sharpening by
pushing Color NR to 63 with Color NR Smoothing at 59.
I suspect that Clarity has also been tweaked.

Peter has the Sharpness amount set at 141, when 80-100 would probably be best.
Setting the Sharpen radius at +3 is basically maxing it out where
1.3-1.6 is going to do the job and minimize halo.
Adjusting the Sharpen Detail is in most cases unnecessary, but Peter
likes to over-cook sharpening. I usually leave that at the default.

As far as masking goes Peter hasn't used it at all, effectively
applying the over-cooked sharpening parameters to the entire image. Not
a good move.

I think a lesser Sharpen Radius would help and, particularly, so would
some Sharpen Edge Masking.

Yup! I suggest something around 98 for amount, 1.3 for radius, and
quite a bit of masking somewhere around 80-95

In making these comments, I fully accept that you may like it the way
it is.

I believe, for whatever reason, Peter likes to over-cook Post,
especially sharpening. In this case I suspect what is showing in the
Metadata is only the tip of the iceberg.

Savageduck

Old August 2nd 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate all comments. especially
constructive negative ones.

The combo I used is extremely sharp. The Nikon 105 Micro with the new
APO teleconverter. (I traded in my old 1.7.)
The sharpening was all in ACR. I added a levels layer to emphasis the
bird, while toning down the background by desaturating the green channel
and toning down its luminosity. I slightly blurred the background, with
the blur tool, and used a slight blur vignette to emphasise the eyes and
waddle. Therefore, the sharpness of the head is emphasized more than it
otherwise would be with just a sharpness of 43.

BTW Here is a different shot, taken the same day where I used the sun
coming through the sunflower's petals, with a strobe to highlight the
shadows. I toned down all, or almost all of the specular highlights. I
wound up with the monochrome glow.
as you can see it is not the stereotypical bug on a flower. (I have not
yet decided whether I like it.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0575.jpg

--
PeterN
Old August 2nd 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Nope. Not this time. Reading the metadata was interesting. In my
narrative I did omit my playing with yellow and orange, which had no
substantial effect. My Viewsonic died, so I will be getting larger 4k
monitor, though I have not yet decided which one.
When I get OOF images I have used Nikon View as a diagnostic tool.

BTW. I finally installed the spel chekker.

--
PeterN
Old August 3rd 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Nope. Not this time.

What do you mean not this time?
Just looking at what you did with sharpening in ACR tells a story of
over-cooking post.

Those settings are undeniably too radical, the +3 radius alone is way
too much, 0 masking tells me you just pushed those settings to the max
with no thought of ameliorating anything.

Reading the metadata was interesting. In my narrative I did omit my
playing with yellow and orange, which had no substantial effect. My
Viewsonic died, so I will be getting larger 4k monitor, though I have
not yet decided which one.
When I get OOF images I have used Nikon View as a diagnostic tool.

This time OoF is not the issue.

BTW. I finally installed the spel chekker.

Good for you.

Savageduck