some photos from the army...

Old July 31st 15, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

Default some photos from the army...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjoje6dnb1...T0030.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8f4pfhx84...T0034.JPG?dl=0
I recently got an 135 film&slide scanner from the online greek e-shop, a
german Rollei for 60 euros (it's being made in China goes without
saying)and here are some army photos taken with a disposable camera, the
first one is me in front of the infamous G 127 armored fighting vehicle
"leonidas" which is being made in Greece, with full armour, G3A4 rifle
etc.The other is again me,with my all-time favourite, the MG3 machine
gun. Oh, BTW the G 127 main armament is the .50 BMG, with API tracer
ammo.The photos were taken with a disposable camera, because my main
camera then (The Nikon FM-2) was envied by a sergeant, and I couldn't
carry that thing around in war games etc.while the disposable would
nicely fit in my pants pocket and if I lost it or it was stolen no
damage done. I didn't know then that in a couple of years its worth
would be less than 10 euros.Snif. BTW, also all service rifles are also
greek construction, we bought the blueprints from Heckler & Koch (which
is the original german manufacturer) and they were forged in Greece.
Old August 1st 15, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

On 1/8/2015 9:16 πμ, Rich A wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 1:21:24 PM UTC-4, Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:
[...]

Interesting scans. Greece has something like 400 of those armoured vehicles. It would be time-consuming to deploy them far afield so I'm thinking that they anticipated perhaps using them close to home?

Greece has a defensive doctrine, Rich so at least where I served in
Rhodes we were to deploy them only if there was an attack by Turkey.My
battalion had 33 of them, 11 for each of the 3 companies. We has also
the support and the administration company, with many other weapons
(Milan-basically a wire-guided missile with an anti-tank
warhead-HEAT-HighExplosiveAntiTank), bazookas, fagot anti tank missile
and so on.BTW, Rhodes is quite a big island exactly opposite Turkey with
excellent beaches, very clean, good roads, very hospitable inhabitants.
when I was there i visited the turkish mosque which was in the turkish
cemetery.
Old August 4th 15, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

wrote:
[...]

My father is from Lesvos, not far from Turkey either as you know. He
left when he was 18 but his brother is still there. He had been
"reactivated" into the military a few times when trouble brewed between
Turkey and Greece. I don't think that's happened in quite some time,
thankfully. BTW, in that second shot I had to do a double-take as at
first glance I thought I was looking at my cousin. You look similar to
him in that photo.

Old August 8th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

wrote:
[...]

Yep, I know lesvos but in greek we call it Mytilini from the island's
capital so as to avoid "freudian slip: with gay women. The most
intimidating weapon we had was the .50 BMG, for which ball rounds were
forbidden by international treatiesm so all we had was
ArmorPiercingIncendiary tracer rounds. We had one gun as an antiaircraft
gun, and we were told that if there's an air strike our aim was not to
shoot the aircraft down as it's difficult but to scare the pilot away as
the bullets from the BMG travel at ~2 Mach which is also the aircraft
speed and the pilot will see them buzzing by him and one is more than
enough of taking him down. What suprised me was that the bullets for the
AA BMG were in a kind of can exactly like a spam can but only bigger and
green, goes without saying. The AA had a screw on barrel, that was
supposed to be synchronized every time but the ones in the tank had a
bayonet mount barrel, and came with a second barrel and several crates
of API tracer ammo.
Old August 19th 15, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Ryan

In article
Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:

.... The most
intimidating weapon we had was the .50 BMG, for which ball rounds were
forbidden by international treatiesm so all we had was
ArmorPiercingIncendiary tracer rounds. ....

There's a treaty that outlaws .50 cal ball ammo? What treaty is
this? Why would a solid shot, which follows the Geneva Convention
for such rounds, be outlawed? It's just a bigger version of the
standard rifle ammo. It certainly hits harder, but hitting hard is
allowed in a war.

Old August 21st 15, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

In article

http://smartgunlaws.org/fifty-calibe...olicy-summary/

What treaty is
this? Why would a solid shot, which follows the Geneva Convention
for such rounds, be outlawed? It's just a bigger version of the
standard rifle ammo. It certainly hits harder, but hitting hard is
allowed in a war.

but chemical weapons are banned aren't they.

yep, that's what I was said, anyway. We had some leftover ball ammo from
WWII, and I asked the 2nd in command (not the commander) a major, sir do
you think that the gunpowder in these ammo is still ok, and he answered,
if i shot you with the API you will die, if I shoot you with the ball
you'll die anyway, so why would you care anyway. The API is normally
used against other armored vehicles, it's depleted uranium which is
pyroforic, so it would pierce the armor, and set in fire the ammo inside
the enemy tank, and as mentioned, would kill anyway whoever had the
misfortune on being on the business end of the gun. BTW, the BMG needs
synchronising, like all machine guns, with the fire and no-fire, because
the cartridge contains enough gunpowder to blow the machine and yourself
to kingdom come.