Photo file rename by to date and time taken

Old July 29th 15, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen G. Giannoni

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:04:58 -0400, Stephen G. Giannoni
wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

OK ! HERE'S why !

Using a Sony digicam with a number of different memory sticks, which
assign the same file names occasionally that I want to have in the
same folder, etc. ...

Thanks for all the response.
Old July 29th 15, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen G. Giannoni

On 29 Jul 2015 15:51:57 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Stephen G. Giannoni
wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

What operating system do you use?

Windows 7 Home Premium and I think service pack 1
Old July 29th 15, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Stephen G.
Giannoni wrote:

OK ! HERE'S why !

Using a Sony digicam with a number of different memory sticks, which
assign the same file names occasionally that I want to have in the
same folder, etc. ...

an asset manager handles that for you, without you having to do
*anything*.
Old July 29th 15, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:59:25 -0700, Savageduck
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:30:42 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-07-29 17:14:12 +0000, Tony Cooper said:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:00:08 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
On Jul 29, 2015, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:13:40 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-07-29 15:04:58 +0000, Stephen G. Giannoni
said:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you really need to do that, then Lightroom or Bridge can handle that
task.

I really don't understand the replies I see here. A guy asks a simple
question and one person starts an argument saying there's no reason
for the person to re-name the files, and you recommend programs that
he may or may not have.

Don?t complicate things.
He asked a simple question, and from my experience and familiarity with two
programs which can do what he wants, I gave a simple answer and named them.
My only commentary on the subject was my remark, ?If you really need to do
that...?, that comment does not translate in Floridian to ?there is no
reason for the person to rename files?.
I didn?t say that either application was the best for the job, I said that
either one could handle the that task.
I wasn?t arguing with anybody and it would have been my final comment on
the subject, but for your response.

The arguing was offered by nospam who has taken the position that it's
not necessary to rename. That's the OP's decision, not nospam's.

Then why rant in a response to my post?

Because it needed to be said.

Maybe you didn't quite get my prior question; "Then why rant in a
response to my post?"

Perhaps I should have asked; "If your problem was with nospam, then WTF
aim your rant at me?"

Because I happened to have your post open at the time.

Hmmm... that is weak from you.

I thought you might actually give some consideration to supplying
practical answers. I knew nospam would not.

The question was simple, so was my answer. I did not elaborate a method
or question the OP's motives.
For something as simple as renumbering, LR and Bridge are not
practical answers.

However, from my point of view they do the job. The OP didn't ask,
"which of the programs I have installed is the best for renaming files?"

They work, but the poster who wants to know how to
renumber isn't likely to be a LR or PS user and it's serious over-kill
to use a LR or CC2015 trial to just renumber some photos.

So what?

Savageduck

Old July 29th 15, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-29 18:35:24 +0000, Stephen G. Giannoni

wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

OK ! HERE'S why !

Using a Sony digicam with a number of different memory sticks, which
assign the same file names occasionally that I want to have in the
same folder, etc. ...

Thanks for all the response.

I am not familiar with Sony cameras (there are others here who are),
but there should be options in your camera preferences for setting up
sequential file names regardless of which memory stick/card is in the
camera.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

an asset manager is the alternative.

i didn't tell him *which* asset manager because that's *his* choice.

How would you expect a person who is seeking a simple way to renumber
photos to know what an "asset manager" is?

there is nothing simple about renaming files.

Suggesting an alternative is done by writing something like "You could
use an asset manager like..." and naming a program or two and
providing links. You can add that there are other asset managers.

a google search for asset manager would show many options.

lightroom is a popular choice but it's not the only one.

It's also a program for which the user is charged. He can use a trial
version for free for 30 days, but he will not be able to use it again
without paying unless he cheats somehow.

try reading for comprehension.

lightroom is not the only choice. there are others.

lightroom is well worth the price to many and one reason why it's
*very* popular, but again, it's not the only option.

for those on a tight budget there are less expensive and even free
solutions.

Changing the file name can do more than provide a
list of file names. Depending on the Viewer used, it can display
information in a simpler way that looking at the EXIF data and it can
be used as a sorting data point.

asset managers do all of that and more without having to change or
rename anything, making users much more productive.

managing photos (or any asset) via the filesystem is primitive and
inefficient. that's why asset mangers exist, which are designed and
optimized to manage assets. not only are they more efficient but they
do a lot more too. there is no downside.

There is no downside to renaming the files to meet a desire or need.

yes there is. it's work that does not need to be done which is *always*
a downside.

There are reasons to assign file numbers. To deny that reasons exist
is ridiculous. Especially when the denial is based only on your own
situation.

it's not based on my own situation and in fact, it has absolutely
nothing to do with anything i do.

the fact, which you refuse to acknowledge, is that an app designed for
managing assets, in this case photos, will always be more efficient and
more productive than doing it manually in a file manager that knows
nothing about assets, where the user has to manually move and rename
files.
Old July 29th 15, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you don't already have and use Lightroom or Bridge, and just want a
free program that batch re-names, download FastStone
http://www.faststone.org/ Image Viewer 5.3. It will batch re-name in
any format you want.

I use it as my photo viewer when I'm not in Lightroom and find it has
many useful functions in re-naming, moving images, copying images, and
opening images in editing programs.

One can always use the DOS command: ren *.a *.b

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 15, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

OK ! HERE'S why !

Using a Sony digicam with a number of different memory sticks, which
assign the same file names occasionally that I want to have in the
same folder, etc. ...

Thanks for all the response.

You can select all the files you want to rename as a group, right
click the top one, select "rename", and type in a name that can
include the date, etc. All of the selected files will then be named
the same thing, with a sequential number automatically added at the
end of each. If you screw it up, hit Ctrl-Z to undo it.
Old July 29th 15, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/29/2015 2:41 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Stephen G.
Giannoni wrote:

OK ! HERE'S why !

Using a Sony digicam with a number of different memory sticks, which
assign the same file names occasionally that I want to have in the
same folder, etc. ...

an asset manager handles that for you, without you having to do
*anything*.

For the OPs use, a simple DOS command will do fine.
To speed things up a tad, one can use DOSKEY.

http://www.computerhope.com/doskeyhl.htm#availability

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 15, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you don't already have and use Lightroom or Bridge, and just want a
free program that batch re-names, download FastStone
http://www.faststone.org/ Image Viewer 5.3. It will batch re-name in
any format you want.

I use it as my photo viewer when I'm not in Lightroom and find it has
many useful functions in re-naming, moving images, copying images, and
opening images in editing programs.

One can always use the DOS command: ren *.a *.b

It's quicker to batch rename in Windows file explorer. Highlight,
click, type.