The insatiable greed everywhere is stifling creativity and opportunity

Old June 24th 15, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

Default The insatiable greed everywhere is stifling creativity and opportunity

On 24/06/2015 15:19, PeterN wrote:
No so sure. A talented amateur takes a cityscape. He likes it so much
that he enters it in a competition. In many competitions the entrant
must certify in essence, that the image does not violate any copyright
regulations and that the entrant has created and owns the submitted
work. With people photography there are established rules and
enforcement procedures. However, with buildings, I see a lot of issues.

How far away from a building before someone no longer needs permission?
A very distinctive building might still be recognisable from many
miles away.

It's a crazy suggestion.
Old June 24th 15, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

On 24/06/2015 16:19, Savageduck wrote:
The big
exception is France, Italy, and Greece, and it is the French seeking to
impose their rule on the rest of Europe.

Typical of the Frogs, want to arrest someone for taking a holiday snap
of the Eiffel Tower when their police can't be bothered protecting car
and lorry drivers trying to get to the tunnel or ferries from mobs of
illegal immigrants.

Old June 25th 15, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

PeterN wrote:
On 6/24/2015 12:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

I suspect that this proposed new rule will not survive the vote.
...but I have been known to be wrong from time to time.

As have many cops, I am happy to report that last night a Village Court
Justice ruled that the cop who gave me a parking ticket was wrong. (I
admit it was not a hard case to win.) The ticket was for parking over a
line. The line was covered with snow and was not visible.

I had 2 worse ticket situations.

While driving with my ill and blind wife in Manhattan, I came to a
full stop at the roadside when I saw and heard an approaching hook and
ladder fire truck. While I was fully stopped in a safe place, in broad
daylight, the fire truck cut the corner too,tightly,and the swinging
rear part ripped off my car's front bumper and headlights with a
horrendous noise scaring the pants off me and my sightless wife. The
fire truck stopped,and a fireman came over and gave ME a summons. I
asked why, and he replied that he had city-wide orders that if any
N.Y.C. vehicle was in an accident, to automatically give the other
driver a summons!!!. After a period of 3 months, I received a notice
from a judge in Brooklyn that thee case was dismissed.

After visiting family in Ventura, CA, I returned home to N.Y. State, and
soon received a printout summons for $225.-, for (allegedly) running a
red light. It was generated by a red light camera via a company in
Arizona. It included a photo of me behind the wheel and a photo of my
license plate. Shades of Big Brother. At the top of the printout it
noted the number of minutes and seconds after the light turned red that
I passed through. The number was 00:00. When I first wrote them, they
demanded full payment by check. If the charges were dropped, then they
would return the check. I sent them the huge check. About 4 months
later, they returned the check with no apology.

N.B. They were outsmarted by their own technology. Time elapsed being
00:00 means that I did not run the red light.

Mort Linder
Old June 25th 15, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/24/2015 4:37 PM, MB wrote:
On 24/06/2015 15:19, PeterN wrote:
No so sure. A talented amateur takes a cityscape. He likes it so much
that he enters it in a competition. In many competitions the entrant
must certify in essence, that the image does not violate any copyright
regulations and that the entrant has created and owns the submitted
work. With people photography there are established rules and
enforcement procedures. However, with buildings, I see a lot of issues.

How far away from a building before someone no longer needs permission?
A very distinctive building might still be recognisable from many
miles away.

It's a crazy suggestion.

Do you think I am suggesting that rule be adopted?

--
PeterN
Old June 25th 15, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/24/2015 9:15 PM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
[...]

Two years ago I was T boned by a drunken cop. I had a loaner car, which
was totaled. Fortunately nobody was seriously injured. I was given a
ticket for failure to yield the right of way. After many postponments, I
agreed to a compromise plea, that only resulted in a small fine.
Although technically the charge should have been dismissed, it was not
worth my time to spend 3/4 of a day with BS.

One funny red light story I heard is that a driver was sent a photo of
him going through a red light. He sent a photo of a check in payment of
the fine. The Clerk had a sense of humor and sent the driver a photo of
a set of handcuffs. The driver sent a real check.

I heard of one guy who

--
PeterN
Old June 25th 15, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

One funny red light story I heard is that a driver was sent a photo of
him going through a red light. He sent a photo of a check in payment of
the fine. The Clerk had a sense of humor and sent the driver a photo of
a set of handcuffs. The driver sent a real check.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/handcuff.asp

I heard of one guy who

don't leave everyone in suspense.
Old June 25th 15, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

On 25/06/2015 05:07, PeterN wrote:
On 6/24/2015 4:37 PM, MB wrote:
On 24/06/2015 15:19, PeterN wrote:
No so sure. A talented amateur takes a cityscape. He likes it so much
that he enters it in a competition. In many competitions the entrant
must certify in essence, that the image does not violate any copyright
regulations and that the entrant has created and owns the submitted
work. With people photography there are established rules and
enforcement procedures. However, with buildings, I see a lot of issues.

How far away from a building before someone no longer needs permission?
A very distinctive building might still be recognisable from many
miles away.

It's a crazy suggestion.

Do you think I am suggesting that rule be adopted?

No, I just added a rhetorical question.
Old June 25th 15, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

On 24/06/2015 15:32, PeterN wrote:
On 6/24/2015 12:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:

As have many cops, I am happy to report that last night a Village Court
Justice ruled that the cop who gave me a parking ticket was wrong. (I
admit it was not a hard case to win.) The ticket was for parking over a
line. The line was covered with snow and was not visible.

Years ago I got my colleague (who was driving) to stop in the main
street whilst I picked up a newspaper. A police traffic car slowed down
and shouted for him to move because parking was not allowed. When I got
back I said I could park there until 10:00h so called at the police
station and spoke to the same traffic policeman (not ordinary plod). He
had never read the signs which define the parking restriction so said he
would check. I rang later and got the same person, he admitted he was
wrong and I was right! Amazed me that a traffic police officer never
bothered to actual check what the restrictions were.

A year or so later a traffic warden banged on my window and told me to
move at virtually the same place. I wrote to complain and had a
personal apology from the Chief Inspector, the warden had been
reprimanded for the way he thumped my car and also I was again right
about parking restrictions.

Old June 25th 15, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MB[_4_]

On 25/06/2015 05:16, PeterN wrote:
One funny red light story I heard is that a driver was sent a photo of
him going through a red light. He sent a photo of a check in payment of
the fine. The Clerk had a sense of humor and sent the driver a photo of
a set of handcuffs. The driver sent a real check.

There was a case in the paper some years ago where someone moved forward
over the white line at traffic lights to allow an unmarked police car on
blues to get through.

He got a Red Light Camera ticket, challenged it but they could find no
record of a police car in that area at the time.

It took a lot of searching before he was able to find that it was a car
from another police force so the charge was dropped.

It was suggested in similar circumstances that it might be as well to
report immediately at a police station so the reason for crossing the
white line is one record.

In the UK you can only go through a red traffic light when instructed by
a police officer, an ambulance or fire engine has no authority to get a
car to go through the red light and the drivers of fire engines are
usually instructed to turn sirens off at red lights so car drivers are
not forced to go through.

Incidentally the double red flashing lights used outside fire stations,
level crossings, ends of runways etc are mandatory and even a police
vehicle on blue lights is not supposed to pass them.

Old June 25th 15, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MB wrote:

There was a case in the paper some years ago where someone moved forward
over the white line at traffic lights to allow an unmarked police car on
blues to get through.

He got a Red Light Camera ticket, challenged it but they could find no
record of a police car in that area at the time.

how exactly did the cop go through the red light and not generate
another photo just seconds later, one with the first vehicle still
visible (i.e., did not run the red)?

rlcs also normally take two photos in the event the vehicle lacks a
front license plate, so even if the cop car was not in any photo, it
would be clear that the first car did not run a red light as he would
still be at the white line.

It took a lot of searching before he was able to find that it was a car
from another police force so the charge was dropped.

where 'a lot of searching' is nothing more than looking at the second
photo.

in other words, they were stonewalling and hoping the person would give
up and pay.

It was suggested in similar circumstances that it might be as well to
report immediately at a police station so the reason for crossing the
white line is one record.

a better suggestion is get rid of rlcs, as they do more harm than good.

In the UK you can only go through a red traffic light when instructed by
a police officer, an ambulance or fire engine has no authority to get a
car to go through the red light and the drivers of fire engines are
usually instructed to turn sirens off at red lights so car drivers are
not forced to go through.

that's incredibly stupid.

what happens if the light cycle is several minutes, as it can be at
some busy intersections?

Incidentally the double red flashing lights used outside fire stations,
level crossings, ends of runways etc are mandatory and even a police
vehicle on blue lights is not supposed to pass them.

more stupidity.

what if there's an emergency beyond that point with no other way in?