Photoshop JPG conversion issues once again

Old June 3rd 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

Default Photoshop JPG conversion issues once again

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my jpgs are brighter and have much
less contrast when viewing in a browser than when viewed in Photoshop.

Workflow:
Rebel XT RAW files
Convert from CR2 to DNG
Photoshop working space set to Adobe RGB
Postprocess away
PSD image looks great, save PSD version
Convert to sRGB
Save as or Save for web, looks great in Photoshop

Open in Safari or Firefox, looks like hell.

Case in point:

If I hadn't compensated by lowering the brightness and increasing the
contrast before uploading that one it would have looked even more faded.

What am I doing wrong?

Greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old June 3rd 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck

G.T. wrote:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my jpgs are brighter and have much
less contrast when viewing in a browser than when viewed in Photoshop.

Workflow:
Rebel XT RAW files
Convert from CR2 to DNG
Photoshop working space set to Adobe RGB
Postprocess away
PSD image looks great, save PSD version
Convert to sRGB
Save as or Save for web, looks great in Photoshop

Open in Safari or Firefox, looks like hell.

Case in point:

If I hadn't compensated by lowering the brightness and increasing the
contrast before uploading that one it would have looked even more faded.

What am I doing wrong?

Greg

I have had similar problems, mostly with files viewed with Thunderbird.

I have yet to find a solution. For the most part you should do all your
editing and correction in RAW or converted DNG and then make the
conversion to sRGB. I find reducing resolution in steps instead of one
big cut helps reduce pixilation and artifacts.

Also use Smart Sharpen filter with Luminosity blend mode as a final step
so as not to affect any color/contrast/brightness corrections after
resizing.

I know using resolution down to 74 ppi is supposed to be OK, but I find
keeping the pixel count up is going to give a better result.
check:
http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...y_704p%7E1.jpg

Saving for web using Imageready is not recommended if you are just
uploading only use it if you are building a site.

Good luck and keep trying,
'duck
Old June 3rd 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 23:34:55 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

Convert to sRGB

Greg, at the risk of asking the obvious: are you really
*converting* to sRGB?

I ask because I had this very same query from someone on a
web forum who thought he was converting to sRGB but it
turned out he was actually *assigning* a sRGB profile to the
image rather than converting to sRGB before using "save for
web".

The symptoms you're describing are identical to his, so...
;-)

--
John Bean
Old June 3rd 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

wrote:

Convert to sRGB

Greg, at the risk of asking the obvious: are you really
*converting* to sRGB?

I ask because I had this very same query from someone on a
web forum who thought he was converting to sRGB but it
turned out he was actually *assigning* a sRGB profile to the
image rather than converting to sRGB before using "save for
web".

The symptoms you're describing are identical to his, so...
;-)

--
John Bean

John,
What's the difference in Photoshop between sRGB "assignment" and
"conversion"?
Thanks,
Marcel

Old June 3rd 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:01:11 -0400, "Celcius"
wrote:
What's the difference in Photoshop between sRGB "assignment" and
"conversion"?

"Assignment" doesn't touch the image data, it simply assigns
a profile to it. It's primarily intended to attach a profile
to an image that is known to be (say) sRGB but has no
existing profile. If you assign a sRGB profile to a (say)
Adobe RGB image then the image will be incorrectly rendered
because of the mismatch, resulting in this example in the
image looking "washed out".

"Conversion" alters the image data so that the colours will
look appear unchanged when viewed in the new colour space,
then assigns the matching profile.

--
John Bean
Old June 3rd 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

wrote:
What's the difference in Photoshop between sRGB "assignment" and
"conversion"?

"Assignment" doesn't touch the image data, it simply assigns
a profile to it. It's primarily intended to attach a profile
to an image that is known to be (say) sRGB but has no
existing profile. If you assign a sRGB profile to a (say)
Adobe RGB image then the image will be incorrectly rendered
because of the mismatch, resulting in this example in the
image looking "washed out".

"Conversion" alters the image data so that the colours will
look appear unchanged when viewed in the new colour space,
then assigns the matching profile.

--
John Bean

Thank you John, but I didn't express myself properly.
What I meant was how in Photoshop you convert or assign, ie once your sRGB
image is imported, what do you click on to convert rather than assign (click
on image, mode, RGB color) ? I use CS2.
Marcel

Old June 3rd 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 08:37:35 -0400, "Celcius"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
[...]

The "mode" on the "Image" menu is nothing to do with colour
spaces and profiles, instead it provides the means of
converting between RGB and alternative representations like
Lab or CYMK for example.

The "Assign profile" and "Convert to profile" are on the
"Edit" menu not the "Image" menu.

--
John Bean

Old June 3rd 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:49:08 +0100, John Bean
wrote:

The "mode" on the "Image" menu is nothing to do with colour
spaces and profiles

Just to clarify - I meant to convey that the "mode" isn't
the primary means of matching up colour spaces to the
appropriate profile. It's nonsense to say it has nothing to
do with it ;-)

--
John Bean
Old June 3rd 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck

wrote:
[...]

Also if shooting in RAW only, the in camera selection of RGB or sRGB
will have no effect. The workspace (RGB, ColorMatch RGB, ProPhoto RGB or
sRGB) is selected (assigned) when converting with ACR, Lightroom or RAW
conversion software of choice.

If shooting JPEG, the in camera selection has to be lived with or
converted to the workspace of choice in PS.
'duck