Whose lens is this?

Old September 16th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Whose lens is this?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old September 16th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-16 13:33:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

$4500

to repair that hole!

Why do I think that lady is being scammed?
All that is needed is a single piece of roofing particle board (a sheet
plywood if you want to go somewhat up market) and a half dozen
shingles. Possibly 1-2 hours of labor. the whole job should run about
$350, and not more than $500.

....there is always duct tape.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike[_25_]

On 16/09/2011 4:33 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

RichA's lens, if it was plastic it wouldn't have cratered the roof...

Mike

Old September 17th 11, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:03:15 -0700, Savageduck

On 2011-09-16 13:33:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

$4500

to repair that hole!

Why do I think that lady is being scammed?
All that is needed is a single piece of roofing particle board (a sheet
plywood if you want to go somewhat up market) and a half dozen
shingles. Possibly 1-2 hours of labor. the whole job should run about
$350, and not more than $500.

...there is always duct tape.

Particle board should never be used as roof underlayment. It absorbs
water and swells. Considering that a plywood section has to be fit
in, tar paper layed, shingles that probably don't match existing
shingles added, and screens fixed...she's probably looking at $750 in
SF. Maybe more.

So, she paid out $250 more (she paid the $1,000 deductible) and got a
whole new roof over at least a section of the house if not the whole
house. (Dunno how large a house) She may get her $1,000 back.

I think she's a pretty sharp old lady.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 17th 11, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Alan Browne wrote,on my timestamp of 17/09/2011 6:33 AM:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

What do you expect?
It's a Canon lens, of course it fell from the mount!...
Old September 17th 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2011-09-16 13:33:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

$4500

to repair that hole!

Why do I think that lady is being scammed?
All that is needed is a single piece of roofing particle board (a sheet
plywood if you want to go somewhat up market) and a half dozen shingles.

Code here is plywood. Re-shingled the roof last year. Original plywood
('79) looks like it just came from the store.

Possibly 1-2 hours of labor. the whole job should run about $350, and
not more than $500.

There may be other issues - but I agree the price seemed way out there.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old September 17th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
me[_5_]

On 2011-09-16 13:33:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

$4500

to repair that hole!

Why do I think that lady is being scammed?
All that is needed is a single piece of roofing particle board (a sheet
plywood if you want to go somewhat up market) and a half dozen
shingles. Possibly 1-2 hours of labor. the whole job should run about
$350, and not more than $500.

...there is always duct tape.

Particle board should never be used as roof underlayment.

Might have meant OSB (Oriented Strand Board).
Old September 17th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-16 13:33:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

$4500

repair that hole!

Why do I think that lady is being scammed?
All that is needed is a single piece of roofing particle board (a sheet
plywood if you want to go somewhat up market) and a half dozen
shingles. Possibly 1-2 hours of labor. the whole job should run about
$350, and not more than $500.

...there is always duct tape.

Particle board should never be used as roof underlayment.

Might have meant OSB (Oriented Strand Board).

What the hell do I know? I have never been a carpenter, or roofer.

It is just that $4500 to repair that hole seems excessive enough for me
to learn how to make a DIY fix, or find somebody who is not trying to
gouge me.

I would imagine that up in Petaluma it would be possible to find
somebody with the requisite skills and less than criminal pricing
structure to do the job.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On 2011-09-16 13:33:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...petaluma-home/

$4500

repair that hole!

Why do I think that lady is being scammed?
All that is needed is a single piece of roofing particle board (a sheet
plywood if you want to go somewhat up market) and a half dozen
shingles. Possibly 1-2 hours of labor. the whole job should run about
$350, and not more than $500.

...there is always duct tape.

Particle board should never be used as roof underlayment.

Might have meant OSB (Oriented Strand Board).

What the hell do I know? I have never been a carpenter, or roofer.

I have re-roofed three porches on my house, and done them all by
myself. (And fell off one roof when doing so) These were two 20' x 15'
and one 25' x 8' porches. All three were damaged by falling limbs due
to high winds. They bounce off the second story roof and do the
damage to the first story roof.

It is just that $4500 to repair that hole seems excessive enough for me
to learn how to make a DIY fix, or find somebody who is not trying to
gouge me.

You have to understand that the plywood underlayment has to span
trusses, so the area has to be enlarged to include that. Both the tar
paper and the shingles start at the eave line and go up, so you have
to do a larger area than the hole, and fit the tar paper and shingles
under the row above.

A patch job like this is one man-day, or a half day for two men,
including travel to and from the job. What reputable insured and
licensed firm is going to send out a man, a truck, the tools, and do
the job for a few hundred bucks? Especially a firm that could,
instead, be doing a whole roof for $9,000 to $12,000?

You always pay more, per size of the job, for small jobs. A painter
will charge you more to paint one room than he will for the cost of
painting six rooms if you divide the cost by six.

I wouldn't think the $4,500 was to repair the hole. That's probably
for the entire roof on that side of the house. That's the sensible
thing to do if the roof is at all aged. Might as well do it now and
not have to pay again in a couple of years.

I would imagine that up in Petaluma it would be possible to find
somebody with the requisite skills and less than criminal pricing
structure to do the job.

Sure. That's what is done all the time and how illegals survive here.
The problem is that he doesn't have insurance, he isn't licensed, and
the house owner could be sued if he gets hurt. He won't pull a
permit, but the city will fine you if they catch you. Also, good luck
finding him if there's a problem.

"Criminal pricing" is what legitimate businesses charge to cover the
overhead that Craigslist contractors don't have.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 18th 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:49:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
: On Sep 16, 4:33*pm, Alan Browne
: wrote:
: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-falls-from-sk...
:
: The picture is too crappy to tell, but does Canon put lettering on the
: front bezels of their good metal lenses, or is that thing actually
: nearly all plastic and a cheap lens?

What on earth does the placement of the lettering have to do with the quality
of a lens?

Bob