Olympus OM enthusiasts' digital prayers have been answered ...

Old February 4th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

Default Olympus OM enthusiasts' digital prayers have been answered ...

On 5/02/2012 4:15 AM, Bruce wrote:
As the most eagerly awaited Micro Four Thirds announcement yet draws
closer, 43rumors.com has unretouched images of the new Olympus OM-D
model equipped with a battery grip.

It is a very good looking camera, drawing on featured of the original
Olympus OM 35mm SLRs plus the E Series DSLRs. It is mirrorless but
has a 1.4 million dot EVF in the "pentaprism housing".

The camera is confusingly named the Olympus E-M5 but the front of the
top plate is clearly marked OM-D. It looks like OM-D describes the OM
Digital range, and the model number within that range is E-M5.

Official announcement is on Wednesday February 8.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-fu...s-of-the-e-m5/

Lets get this right.
Oly made a behind the times E3 that nearly put paid to their plans for a
DSLR. Then they put out another monster wearing the "E" badge that was
so far behind in technology, it had no chance of ever selling in any
numbers.

Calling it "Pro" and showing it soaking in water didn't do anything for
sales either. Digital noise worse than a s3 Fuji didn't seem to bother
the few who remained loyal to the brand.

I suppose using that methodology, Stuffing an OM looking body full of
all those Pro parts that never sold makes perfectly good sense.
Imitating the old half frame pen worked (almost) why not falling back of
their old flagship? Maybe they might even have a fix for the almost
constant back focus errors the OMs used to develop. Now that would be a
step forward except for being 20 years too late.

Coming out with another obsolete camera just as mirrorless digital
reaches and almost exceeds Pro level needs. Yep! Go to it Oly. I just
can't wait for the belly laughs from all those loyal Olympus followers
blind to the stupidity of this rumour. Not even Olympus could be this
stupid, could they?

Where do these people get their ideas from? 1980 Popular Science magazines?
Old February 4th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

On 2012-02-04 19:02:34 +0000, Chloe said:

[...]

The Nikon D800 will have 36 MP, according to rumors. What I find
interesting is that the vast majority of Nikon lenses struggle to match
the resolving power of existing sensors. Oly knows a few things about
lens design that others have forgotten.

During an almost global recession, we can expect to see some fishes out
of water.

Old February 5th 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

On 5/02/2012 5:49 AM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:
I suppose using that methodology, Stuffing an OM looking body full of
all those Pro parts that never sold makes perfectly good sense.
Imitating the old half frame pen worked (almost) why not falling back of
their old flagship?

There is a strong positive sentiment towards the OM System, even more
than there was towards the PEN. It makes sense to offer people
cameras that they want to buy, for whatever reason. The similarity of
the OM-D/EM-5's appearance to the very popular OM will encourage a lot
of people to buy it.

I use a Panasonic G3. It has the same sensor and EVF as the Olympus
OM-D/E-M5. It is a very good camera and I am very pleased with it,
but if I was buying now, I would choose the OM-D/E-M5. Why? Because
I used the OM system for nine years in the 70s and early 80s and
really enjoyed using it.

So the OM-D/E-M5 is a Panasonic G3 in disguise? I don't care. It is
a very convincing disguise. ;-)

I guess I should preface this with "without prejudice" but photography
is not the only area where people are happy to live in the past. For Me,
I'd rather buy tomorrow's technology and participate in the way imagery
is changing. There is only one Olympic lens I should never have sold but
I gladly parted with with all my Olympus bodies.

I believe the immediate future lies in Fujifilm's newest XPro 1 camera.
will become the initiator of how professional cameras with small sensors
will evolve. Filling antique looking, plastic bodies with rebadged
electronics is just wacky engineers playing in their sandpit.
Old February 5th 12, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

: wrote:
: I suppose using that methodology, Stuffing an OM looking body full of
: all those Pro parts that never sold makes perfectly good sense.
: Imitating the old half frame pen worked (almost) why not falling back of
: their old flagship?
:
:
[...]

"Professional cameras with small sensors" sounds like an oxymoron to me. Maybe
you're right, but I'm not yet ready to believe it until I see it.

Bob
Old February 5th 12, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

: wrote:
[...]

Yeah. Anything below 6-1/4" x 8-1/4" is just a toy for amatuer use.

I prefer 8" x 10" for real work. :-)

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 5th 12, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

: wrote:
[...]

What's the pixel density on that one Eric? I'd think anything over 800
pixels wouldn't satisfy the pixel peepers on site! LOL.
Old February 6th 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with prejudice. ;-)

but photography
is not the only area where people are happy to live in the past. For Me,
I'd rather buy tomorrow's technology and participate in the way imagery
is changing. There is only one Olympic lens I should never have sold but
I gladly parted with with all my Olympus bodies.

I believe the immediate future lies in Fujifilm's newest XPro 1 camera.
will become the initiator of how professional cameras with small sensors
will evolve. Filling antique looking, plastic bodies with rebadged
electronics is just wacky engineers playing in their sandpit.

How ironic that you should criticise 'retro' designs like the Olympus
PEN and OM-D then promote - presumably as an alternative - the
Fujifilm X-Pro 1.

If ever there was a 'retro' design, the X-Pro 1 is it. ;-)

Actually I think it is not so Retro as some might think. I still own an
almost identical looking Fuji Pro camera. It uses 12 roll film and when
new cost close to what they are predicting for the digital iteration.

Rangefinder cameras all had to look like this for the rangefinder to
work. If you take a look at Fuji's Pro film cameras, even the most
recent '7' range you'll see an amazing similarity between them.

Fujifilm is is a steadfast independent company of inventive people who
refuse to join the mainstream of Photography but manufacture some of the
most durable and usable cameras professional photographers use.

The only camera Olympus ever made that was remotely usable as a
professional tool was the OM but 35mm film always had serious limitation
for anyone (make that professionals) who needed to make poster size
prints. None of Fujifilm's Pro cameras had this limitation.

The re-introduction of Fuji's own lens mount is refreshing too. When
Nikon refused to continue selling their bodies to Fuji, they were faced
with either making this style of camera too early or dropping out of the
professional market place until something gave. It has and I seriously
think the days of flapping mirrors in cameras are close to finished.

Like always, Olympus has no forethought. No uniqueness and no 'market
saving' products. If it were not for their hugely profitable medical
products Olympus would have disappeared as a brand years ago.

Old February 10th 12, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Robert Coe writes:

"Professional cameras with small sensors" sounds like an oxymoron to me. Maybe
you're right, but I'm not yet ready to believe it until I see it.

Well, the world eventually accepted 35mm cameras as a professional
format.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 10th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Robert Coe writes:

"Professional cameras with small sensors" sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Maybe
you're right, but I'm not yet ready to believe it until I see it.

Well, the world eventually accepted 35mm cameras as a professional
format.
--

True that, but improvements in film helped 35mm to become accepted.
And top-quality images from 35mm are not as good as top-quality images from

--
Ken Hart

Old February 10th 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Robert Coe writes:

"Professional cameras with small sensors" sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Maybe
you're right, but I'm not yet ready to believe it until I see it.

Well, the world eventually accepted 35mm cameras as a professional
format.

True that, but improvements in film helped 35mm to become accepted.
And top-quality images from 35mm are not as good as top-quality images from
medium- or large-format cameras can be.

But they were widely accepted for news coverage in the 1940s; it's not
recent.

You're quite right that film improvements were important in bringing
them into fashion and such areas. And of course the film improvements
improved the photojournalism, too.

Absolutely true that the technical quality of larger formats was (is)
better. However, 35mm also had advantages -- you could get much more
real, more natural, pictures of people, and better pictures of action.
For some kinds of photos, those are so important that the larger formats
were pretty much driven out of those fields. They're not much used in
photojournalism even as far back as the 1960s, for example.