Did ACDSee mess me up? Need some help

Old January 20th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Did ACDSee mess me up? Need some help

I used the batch "change series" option in ACDSee (free version) and
now my pictures open twice when double clicking in Explorer, or XP
asks me what program to use to open the files.

Interestingly, the little icon (when using Explorer) changed from what
looks like a flower pot, to a file icon...like something you'd see for
a MS Word document. By changing the file names does XP not understand
something? I do have spaces in the file name, but they always did.

Something happened by using ACDSee and I'm not sure what.

Any help???

Gary
Old January 20th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:41:31 GMT, baker1
wrote:

I used the batch "change series" option in ACDSee (free version) and
now my pictures open twice when double clicking in Explorer, or XP
asks me what program to use to open the files.

Interestingly, the little icon (when using Explorer) changed from what
looks like a flower pot, to a file icon...like something you'd see for
a MS Word document. By changing the file names does XP not understand
something? I do have spaces in the file name, but they always did.

Something happened by using ACDSee and I'm not sure what.

Any help???

Gary

OK, one thing that definitly changed is the "Type" in Explorer. It's
now shown as FILE not JPEG Image.

How do I change these back, so XP can make thumbnails? ACDSee has no
problems viewing these.

Gary
Old January 20th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:55:10 GMT, baker1
wrote:

OK, one thing that definitly changed is the "Type" in Explorer. It's
now shown as FILE not JPEG Image.

How do I change these back, so XP can make thumbnails? ACDSee has no
problems viewing these.

Gary

OK, and one more thing, I changed the names with a "." for dates.
like:

Motorcycle Yosemite 1.3.2003 ## (where the ## is the series number)

I think the "." (dot) messed things up. Maybe XP now sees this as a
file instead of jpg?

Gary
Old January 20th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

OK, one thing that definitly changed is the "Type" in Explorer. It's
now shown as FILE not JPEG Image.

How do I change these back, so XP can make thumbnails? ACDSee has no
problems viewing these.

Gary

OK, and one more thing, I changed the names with a "." for dates.
like:

Motorcycle Yosemite 1.3.2003 ## (where the ## is the series number)

I think the "." (dot) messed things up. Maybe XP now sees this as a
file instead of jpg?

Gary

I can't really follow what you are saying but is it possible
you left off the jpg file extension in renaming?

John H
Old January 20th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

dont use dots in file names

Old January 20th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:27:41 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
wrote:

dont use dots in file names

Right, but now, how do I turn them back. I believe the issue is that
the computer thinks the file is .jpg.001 and it's confused. ACDSee
won't allow me to change a batch without refering to the original name
and "." extention. I can rename it simply, one by one, but even then,
it doesn't change it back to a JPEG Type file.

Old January 20th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

dont use dots in file names

Right, but now, how do I turn them back. I believe the issue is that
the computer thinks the file is .jpg.001 and it's confused. ACDSee
won't allow me to change a batch without refering to the original name
and "." extention. I can rename it simply, one by one, but even then,
it doesn't change it back to a JPEG Type file.

Use the batch rename making a template "whatever###.jpg"
ACDSee doesn't stop you from typing in anything you want. At least I
have never encountered any problem in that regard. It sounds like you
are just missing something in the renaming dialogue. Dots are allowed
in file names. It's just what's after the last one that counts.

Old January 20th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I don't use ACDsee anymore, but maybe try (on a few first) batch renaming
them without an extension, if that works then rename again with the proper
extension. I'm pretty sure I've done this with IrFanview before...actually
maybe just try IrFanview directly instead of ACDsee.

Old January 20th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

I used the batch "change series" option in ACDSee (free version) and
now my pictures open twice when double clicking in Explorer, or XP
asks me what program to use to open the files.

Interestingly, the little icon (when using Explorer) changed from what
looks like a flower pot, to a file icon...like something you'd see for
a MS Word document. By changing the file names does XP not understand
something? I do have spaces in the file name, but they always did.

Something happened by using ACDSee and I'm not sure what.

Any help???

Gary

I screwed it up. Called ACDSee (great people) and fixed everything. I
created file names incorrectly and batch changed them back to .jpg.

Gary
Old January 21st 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

I used the batch "change series" option in ACDSee (free version) and
now my pictures open twice when double clicking in Explorer, or XP
asks me what program to use to open the files.

Interestingly, the little icon (when using Explorer) changed from
what looks like a flower pot, to a file icon...like something you'd
see for a MS Word document. By changing the file names does XP not
understand something? I do have spaces in the file name, but they
always did.

Something happened by using ACDSee and I'm not sure what.

Any help???

Gary

I screwed it up. Called ACDSee (great people) and fixed everything. I
created file names incorrectly and batch changed them back to .jpg.

Gary

Thanks for the follow-up.
Many folks have an issue...ask for help...and then are never heard from
again...
Nice to hear the resolution...