looking for a miniature camera with close focus (1")

Old January 20th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

Default looking for a miniature camera with close focus (1")

Hi,

I'm looking for a miniature camera that can focus on an object between
0.5" to 1.0" from the camera. Would anyone know if such a setup is
available, or know of a way to construct one with some type of
miniature macro lens of some sort? I've come across many miniature
cameras but they all seem to have a focus range of greater than 6" or
so. Thank you in advance for your help!

Susumu

Old January 21st 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

I have a camera that will focus down to 1 cm. I have used it to do a
feature article for Corel. It is a Ricoh RDC-2E. It is old and only
768x576 but it takes excellent photos close up. I don't know if you
could find one now but if you really want one I might sell you mine.

Old January 21st 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

juli wrote on 20 Jan 2006 19:26:30 -0800:

j I have a camera that will focus down to 1 cm. I have used it
j to do a feature article for Corel. It is a Ricoh RDC-2E. It
j is old and only 768x576 but it takes excellent photos close
j up. I don't know if you could find one now but if you really
j want one I might sell you mine.

I know you are asking for 2.5 cm and my Nikon 3200 will not
quite do it but 4 cm is not bad.

James Silverton.

Old January 21st 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

Why is this always put in terms of close focus. Surely the requirement is
magnification (however this might be defined or measured now) or minimum
subject size? This used to be the case with film cameras.

Peter

ups.com...

Old January 22nd 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

When I was a kid, a 'miniature' camera was any roll film camera smaller than
a 4x5 speed graphic, so all those medium format rollies, yashicas and
hasselblads were in the same bracket as 35mm.

Any camera with a filter thread on front will let you screw in some close up
filters to let you get dang close to the subject. Many point and shoots
will let you put an adapter over the lens to let you use filters and
auxillary lenses. I have done so with a canon G2 digital P&S.

For higher quality there are macro lenses with extention tubes or bellows
that will get you close. and/or a special adapter ring that will let you
reverse your lens for super close focus. Yes it is very strange to have
your lens mounted backwards on the camera but it works.

And finally there are microscope adapters that will let you mount your
camera bod to the microscope if you would like to see microbes.

Old January 22nd 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.technique.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

Thank you everyone for your replies. I apologize for my original query
being a bit vague and not containing enough information about exactly
for what purpose I was looking for this camera setup.

I am trying to prototype a portable, pen-shaped scanner that can be
used to scan in words on a printed page, similar in functionality to
the InfoScan pen from WizCom Technologies (http://www.wizcomtech.com/).
The setup should be such that it can focus on the text with the camera
being held as close as 1 inch from the text, preferably even as close
as 0.5 inches. I need the camera to be digital and be able to stream
the captured frames at a reasonable rate ( 10 frames per second) so
that I can apply my image processing algorithm on the incoming stream
to process the text. The image doesn't have to be in color, but
preferably be able to transmit its images wirelessly and with a
relatively small power supply (e.g. a 9V battery).

Given these requirements, it seemed natural for me to look into the
miniature spy cameras. I found the FingerCam
(http://www.pimall.com/nais/fingercam.html), but it supposedly can
focus only up to 6 inches or so. This got me wondering if it's
possible to get some kind of a lens attachment or other clever
contraptions to get it to focus at a closer range. I am not very
knowledgeable about optics or photography, so please excuse my
ignorance.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Susumu