Batteries for Digital Camera

Old December 8th 04, 04:12 AM
Jen

Default Batteries for Digital Camera

Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

Old December 8th 04, 04:23 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

What's the capacity of the NiMH batteries you're using? Obviously,
higher-capacity batteries will last longer than those with lower capacity.
These days, high-capacity NiMH batteries are so inexpensive that there's
really no excuse for not getting them; I've heard that even WalMart is
selling 2500mah Eveready 4 packs for just over $10.

As for quality differences between brands, there's not much reason to skimp
there either. As mentioned the Evereadys aren't very expensive, and other
high-quality brands would include Maha, Sanyo & Kodak.

But it's possible an even bigger difference might be found in chargers than
the batteries themselves. At the high end, the Maha chargers are great, but
other name-brand units are probably fine.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old December 8th 04, 04:42 AM
Chris D

On 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0800
"Jen" wrote:

Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital
Camera. I've used alkeline and found that I had to replace the
batteries every couple of days. So I switched to a
rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but the battery life is still
short. Is it because of the brand? Should I switch to a better
known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand name
batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

Another thing to remember is that NiMHs take a few cycles to
reach full capacity. The 2200mAh ones I've got in my camera
have had 4 or 5 cycles now, and are showing noticably longer
life than when they were new.

-Chris D

Old December 8th 04, 05:21 AM
Michael A. Covington

One possibility is that your camera is not completely shutting off when you
turn it off. All cameras draw a *tiny* amount of electricity from the
batteries when turned off, to keep the clock/calendar running and to retain
settings. Yours may have an electrical leak (in a semiconductor) that is
making it draw more than it's supposed to. If you can verify that it drains
batteries while turned off, you should return it under warranty. If you
have a milliammeter, you can probably even test it.

Old December 8th 04, 12:12 PM
Cliff Smith

On 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0800, "Jen" wrote:

Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

The Vivtar is known to be a very power-hungry camera, so your only
real solution is to buy several sets of NiNH batteries and always
carry spares. If you want a non-rechargeable solution, Energizer
Lithium Technology batteries should give you about 5x the life of
alkalines.

Cliff Smith
www.cliffsmith.co.uk

Old December 8th 04, 03:00 PM

If you constantly use the LCD screen you will run the batteries down a
lot faster then if you compose and shoot your pictures throught the
view finder.

Art